Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jim68

Rope recoil

5 posts in this topic

I have a 2003 Johnson 30HP 2 stroke and the rope doesn't always recoil. Is there something that I need to lube or clean?

Thanks for any help

bump

Just spray WD-40 into the recoil...if that doesn't work let go of the rope! wink.gif

Replacing the rope may help, too.

Most of the time it is caused by the grease drying up and getting a little sticky where the recoil sits against the cover. If you take the hood off there should only be a couple of bolts that hold the recoil on the motor. Take the recoil off and set it on your bench and use your JB-80 or something similar. Spray around the outside of the plastic spool and let it run in underneath. Do not try and remove the spool or the recoil spring may end up in your lap. WD-40 will tend to compound the sticking problem. Don't ask me why WD-40 does that, but it does over time. My favorites are JB-80 and PB Blaster. If the rope is not frayed anywhere you should not need to replace it.