• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New computer?

SCUMFROG

I need to buy a new computer for home use. I don't play games. I just do on line stuff and pictures from my camera. I am looking at a Gateway GT5220 from Best Buy. Does any one have one of these? Should I look at some thing else? I don't know a lot about computers.

Consider Apple's iMac. Perfect for what you are looking to do. Plug it in and it works. No downloading of patches or working on virus issues. It just works right out of the box.

Check out an Apple store and have them show you iPhoto. Couldn't be easier to transfer your big fish pictures from your digital camera to your iMac.

Like they say, "once you go Mac, you never go back!" And it's true...I don't know a soul who has used a Mac and gone back to Windows.

DB

I was in your shoes a few years ago....I just called Dell and told them what I wanted and what it would be used for...and within a few days it was at my front door. Quick, easy and I have no regrets. I have also heard good things about Apple computers as stated above...I think they are worth check out as well....

I've had excellent results with Dell computers, fwiw...

Mac/Apple are supposed to be excellent too, but I've never had one. It is true that at present Macs are less targeted for virus, etc., than Windows computers but that does not mean they are invulnerable. They just receive less attention from hackers mostly because the are not as widespread. Hey, if you were going to write a virus, would you try for one that could affect 90% of computers, or 5% of computers? So, that in and of itself does give some measure of peace of mind, it can also lead to a false sense of security/protection.

My daughter had a Gateway...nothing but problems, mostly software. I have been a technology coordinator at a school that had both PC and iMacs. I think the iMacs have less(a little)problems, but once the warranty was up, they soak you for tech support and repairs, while PC is pretty universal, and you can shop around for reasonably priced support/repairs. I have a HP at home, no problems, but when I upgrade, I am pretty sure it will be Dell.

I just bought a new Dell laptop, I don't think I will use anymore desktops after I am done with this one.

Prices are same, and they go with you everywhere, it also works as DVD player in car to entertain kids, instead of the expensive car addons, and the screen is much bigger.

Check their outlet, they have killer prices.

I do get a discount from dell. But I'd get a little bigger one at best buy. I'd like to have a lap top, but the wife doesn't care for them. I have thought about the apples but not to many people I know have them.

I've purchased used Macs for my kids for their games and the internet. I can suggest reputable sources if you're interested. You can get a pretty decent iMac for under $300.

I work in IT and I wouldn't buy a name brand computer. You pay more for the same machine. I have Medion desktop from Best Buy and an Acer laptop from Circuit City. Both work as well as the Compaq/Dell/IBM's we use where I work. They actually work better. I have worked for Gateway in the past. When you open a computer, they are all the same parts. Don't pay for a name. For what you need, you don't need an expensive PC. I would go for a laptop, but if wife doesn't like them (you can get a docking station so it connects to a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc just like a desktop) I would go for an emachine. Good value for a good PC.

Sandman,

You say you work in IT (As well as I am an IT Director) and you are telling him to get an E-Maching? I wouldnt touch those with a 10 foot pole... I do agree with you that all components are basically the same but what you are lacking with a NO-Name brand is the support. I would go with a Simple Dell with a nice Flat Panel monitor and you will have it on your door step in 3-5 days for about $500.

I work in IT and if someone is going to buy a home PC the one thing you want is good support. Go with the Dell, you buy from Best Buy or the sort and you will be sorry. Dell ain't perfect but they can get you back up and running and will even offer some limited help after your warranty runs out.

Mac/Apple would be great if everyone wrote software for them. It is coming around but just ain't there yet. The reason that they don't get hammered by viruses and spyware is it is not yet worth effort of the hackers and virus writers to go after such a small base of computers.

The first computer that I bought was a E-Machine and that was in 2001.The only thing that happen was that the harddrive went when I brought it to the cabin otherwise it has been a very good cheap computer.

I also wouldn't own an emachine, but they do work surprisingly well for what they cost. They don't necessarily have the same parts. eMachines have had Trigem motherboards and hard drives in the past, and I believe they still do. They are cheap. I think Gateway bought eMachine a couple of years ago so you should get the same support as other Gateway products. If all you're doing is Internet & a few pictures it may do the job.

Support can be a problem with any of them, as they mostly outsource it to foreign companies and understanding the broken English can be a problem. I think they're mostly getting better at it though.

If I had to buy a brand-name computer, I'd probably go with a low end Dell for scumfrog's purpose.

I worked in a support center when I was outsourced for Gateway that also did E-machines. They had just as good support as we were giving at gateway, sometimes better. I still have friends that only buy e-machines and have nothing but good things to say about them. My last one was an e-machine, had it on solid for two years and was still running strong when I replaced it. I sold it to someone at work and it's still going strong.

I love my Dell. I had trouble with the disc drive not opening and they came out the next day and replaced it no questions asked. They have great service and are really affordable. Just my 2 cents.

How about building your own computer? You can use most of the parts that you have now, and add other stuff later.

The up-front cost will be higher, but in the long run it could save you some cash.

I have owned numerous PC's over that past 26 years. My first was an Atari 800 I purchased in 1980. My last four PC's were all Dell's. Three desktops and one laptop. Whenever I have had a problem (either hardware or software), and there haven't been too many, Dell was always there to support me. You might pay a little more for the name but for me the added security in knowing that support is a phonecall away is well worth the price. By the way I am doing much more with the laptop than I ever did with the desktops. You will not sacrifice functionality by opting for portability.

Regards,

Indiana Mike

I too would stay away from Gateway. I had one a few years back and it was nothin' but trouble. I work in IT also (network administrator) and we use Nobilis PC's and Dell laptops. Both have been very reliable. Dell is the way to go if you want a cheap package that is going to treat you good.

I think I will go with a dell. Every one I've talked to here at work say's "DELL". A guy I work with just told me about the dell on-line outlet store. So I'm looking there to see what they have.

Thanks for all the advice. grin.gif

Quote:

How about building your own computer?

That's the way to go if possible just not realistic unless you are well versed in PC building, Scumfroggs Puter is 12 years old so upgrading it is not an option.

I agree in todays world most manufactures are using the same type of components.

Dell is certainly not what it used to be, but it's still a decent choice.

I just built a Dual Core system for a friend for $500.... shocked.gif

"online stuff and pictures"

Would be a good formula for a MAC. They are sleek looking...the flat screen is the whole computer. I have both PC's and a Mac. Love the MAC for pictures/music/movies/....it's great.

Building your own PC is fine if you want to completely support the thing yourself. That means hardware and software troubleshooting. Yes they all are using pretty much the same hardware and all, but Dell, HP, Gateway etc has a dept that makes sure that all the hardware and options they offer work well together. I know more than a couple people who built their own PCs with top of the line hardware only to find that the individual pieces did play well with the rest of the class.

upnorth, I agree. I've had more than a few computers in my shop from guys who wanted to build their own and they just weren't put together right. It can be very rewarding to build your own if you know what you're doing -- not a realistic option for most people.

I like Apple. I'm using an I-Book G-4 to reply to post this. If you would like a bullitproof workhorse without virus, software and hardware problems Apple is what I would recommend. I'm not a guru, but I don't see the connectivity or compatibility problems that have been mentioned. I exhchange emails, text files,photos, shop and do e-banking daily. I have never had any problems. I would stack Apple software up against any Micro-Soft or windows based product.

I also have two other desktops (one 6 years old) working 24 hours a day supporting my business and websites with e-business software. I have never had a service call on any of my computers.

Quote:

I would stack Apple software up against any Micro-Soft or windows based product.

Thats ridiculous.

Scum, I dont know where you live but I havent heard anything bad from this local company that builds computers, They will aslo take a trade in if I remember, or if you want to upgrade your system in a few years you can bring it back in, As far as support I believe that they offer it at a Decent price, I know that Instead of buying a Dell, Hp, Gateway or Emachine I will more than likely hit these guys up next They are just across the river in Minneapolis on University Ave, Their site is ...

generalnanosystems

I would also like to add in if your not Familar with a mac it takes a little while to get the in and outs, if youve had a Desktop, and havent had issues, why change?

Just my .02

Shawnny B

General Nano Systems is a great pleace. I haven't got a PC from them, but I've bought my share of parts from there and they are always great to deal with.

Good points about considering support when you purchase a computer as things are bound to go wrong. Like others have mentioned General Nanosystems will build you a quality PC at a fair price, and their support is excellent. I have taken in my PC before that I didn't even buy from them and they helped me out with some things at no charge. So if you are close I would highly recommend them.

Computers are like everything else with moving parts. Things are bound to break whether its 2 days or 2 years down the road. One thing I tell my customers is get the most computer within YOUR budget. Computers are outdated once they hit the shelf. Average shelf life is 2-3 years. Like Valv said, if you're set on Dell, look for the Dell Auctions. Can;t go wrong with the pricing. If you want to build one, General Nano Systems have good setups there. Micro Center has a nice BYOPC system too.. In all honesty though, I used to work for BB Geek Squad in Woodbury and if it wasn;t for Dell's, the Geek squad wouldn't be so busy grin.gif HP's have come along ways. So have Gateways. I had a Gateway and it ran perfect for me until I sold it to a FM'er