• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Stand accsess

Bassboy1645

ok got a great stand on the top ofa ridge up here in ely and conditions fially right to hunt it last nite. problem is i got busted by 2 deer on the way out. Ive foud it easier to access stands down home where im from but up here its a puzzle to me. I busted the deer in a mature pine forest where it is really open. they were coming from their beds. so i figure go through thicker cover in the dark but not by beds assuming deer are in the clear cuts open woods ect, and go out through the open ares in the light? or should I avoid thick cover all toghter as far as access goes? everyone of my stands has an acess potential through clear cuts and or more open woods or thickets away from beds. when shoudl i use which access or should i use them at all?? thanks for your opinons

I hunt the Cook side of Lake vermillion, What we have found is that darkness is your only friend. As we enter our stands it must be in total darkness in the mornings, same with leaving in the evenings. If you bump a deer in the dark it doesn't seem to bother them much. The most important also is obviously your scent control. Most deer are curious and want to know what goes bump in the night, and will investigate, so keep a good handle on your scent.

You may just need to go out earlier. I tried to do the "after work quick evening hunt" last year a few times, and I always got busted getting to my stand. This year I've only gone when I could get there a good 3 hours before sunset, and I haven't busted any.