Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Doonbuggy

4 Stroke in cold weather

5 posts in this topic

Perhaps a silly question, but new to me: my boat and 4 stroke motor will be docked at a lake up north this weekend with cold temps expected (upper 20s at night).

When moored at night is it advantageous to have the motor sit vertically in the water or am I better off raising the motor more horizontally and out of the water. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Just looking to protect my investment as I do not usually have it docked up this time of year. Thanks in advance.

DB

That is a very interesting question, I would suggest taking boat out partially, so motor will drain water completely.

If you tilt it up (my 2nd suggestion) it will leave prop shaft cavity full of water, which can freeze and crack housing, but being not extreme frost, I believe expansion will be minimal also due to the fact it's is not a closed/sealed cavity.

I am not sure that leaving motor upright the water might not drain complately out of it from propeller or inlet screen, leaving some inside housing thus freezing and cracking.

Let's see what others say....

In my experience it's better to leave the lower unit in the water.

Keep them in the water. The water is warmer than the air, and will keep the motor from freezing. Get the motor in the air only, and it can get down to the temp that the air is. Keep in partially in the water and the water keeps it warm. Also, most outboards are self draining when the are vertical.

Pulling the motor over a couple of times in the off position drains most of the water out, preventing freezing when out of the water. I have found this to be best for my duck boat which I trailer in and out of lakes right up to freeze up. I have forgotten to do this a couple of times and it was frozen solid until I put it in the water again.