Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fastestcaster

tell you a little story, my first eye!

10 posts in this topic

i moved here from south carolina, in the summer of 2004, due to the fact i had taken my mother to mayo for cancer treatments. i was so stress out with the whole situation of chemo treatments my mother was recieving, it was killing me to see her that way,i really needed a break,so i decided to buy a license and try my luck somewhere close to town,rochester.i had my pole's with me ofcourse, and alot of bass and saltwater lure's in my tackle box, due to i lived on the ocean in s.c..... i hit the zumbro here in town,i walked the bicycle path, walked down some stair's and proceded to cast a saltwater lure to the river, my third cast,was all it took, bam my rod double over,i thinking what the hell do i have on,after a short fight,reeling the fish in with it's head above the water,closer i got it in the more i was thinking what kind of fish is this, then i remember in back of the reg book, pictures of mn typical fish,ah ha i said to myself this must be a walleye, just at the same time, a man come's running up to me and say's is that a carp? he got a closer look and said that no carp,that's a walleye,the biggest one i had ever seen in person. we both looked at it, and it was ever thing of 30"in and between 9 and ten pound's.he left and came back five minute's latter, and continue to cast a daredevil over the top of my line for about a half n hour, no luck for him, he finally left. that day i also caught another walleye ,about 27" 7pound's and 8 northern's range from 4 to 15 pound's in the same day right in rochester. i'll never forget that day as long as i live! plus my mother survive her battle with cancer, and i stayed in the area ever since.my friend's tell me that 30in walleye was a trophy, wish i would have picture of it,but i had no clue! i release every toothy critter back in the water that day, so maybe i'll have another chance at that fish someday!

The Zumbro never ceases to surprise me! laugh.gif

Where were you at on the Zumbro? Silver Lake Park? By the Mayo Civic Center? I always hear of people catching nice sized northerns in these areas. Just because it is in town people don't fish it. If they don't fish it, fish have the opportunity to grow up into monsters. Walleyes are hard to come by in the Zumbro river or lake, but there are a few in there. Sounds like me and you need to get together. I'm looking for a fishing partner!

great story! laugh.gif

down from the dam! also took a 5lb smallmouth,there also,what a dark fish, it took a rebel crayfish,after about the fivehundreth cast! my arm was sore that day! i see the water treatment plant is doing constuction on the zumbro down there also, hope there not messing up the habitat down there!

WOW!

A 9 pound, 7 pound walleye, 15 pound northern and a 5 pound smallmouth in one outing! Shoot, no need to fish the rest of the season now eh?lol Heck, most don't get that kind of action in a lifetime... all with in the city limits too...remarkable!lol

Jim W

actual, i caught the five pound smallie the next week after,lol same spot though!lol

and slayer, i will show you where i caught these fish, and what i used to catch them! no problem!

right below the silver lake dam? shoot...i definitely have to hit that up next time i'm in town

I would be interested in the spot also, if you can send me a line