Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob Horn

Carpeted Bunks?

11 posts in this topic

I just bought a trailer for my canoe and I was going to change the bunks because I wanted them longer and on there side. I was wondering if it would matter if the bunks were carpeted or not. The canoe weighs 125 empty and loaded about 500 including me in it. What do you think?

Wont matter much at all but I would staple some carpet on for the heck of it. Staple on the under side of the wood of course.

Thanks Northlander.

the carpet does help in protecting the bottom.

Quote:

the carpet does help in protecting the bottom.

Exactly.

It will remove any chance of scratches, bruises, and travel "rash".

Thanks guys!!!

Dont remember were I heard this but what about using that plastic decking like Trek decking.Just like wood but you don't need the carpet.

You should use a marine grade of carpet on the bunks, you can buy it in rolls for that purpose, Regular carpet will rot from getting wet.

Quote:

I just bought a trailer for my canoe and I was going to change the bunks because I wanted them longer and on there side. I was wondering if it would matter if the bunks were carpeted or not. The canoe weighs 125 empty and loaded about 500 including me in it. What do you think?

Will You be in the canoe while its trailered down the road????

Of course I'll be in it while it's going down the road. Dah

I replaced my bunks on my trailer a few years ago. I bought bunk carpet at cabela's in Owatonna back then. I don't think it was too expensive.

Whats the old saying, " an ounce of prevention is worth..."