Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buckfish

any garmin users???

4 posts in this topic

Does anyone use garmin GPS/sonar on their boat?

I have a Garmin GPS only. I have the Lakemaster chip and it works just fine. I wish it was color, but it gets me where I need to go and does anything else I need it to.

I think mine has the 5 inch screen, which is a substantial upgrade over a handheld.

I run a GPSMap 178 in my boat. They don't make that particular model anymore, now they are all color for the most part. I think it's a great unit, and I've always liked Garmin's. I've owned Lowrance/Eagle GPS and Sonars before, which were fine; but I've always preferred the Garmin's.

For one reason or another, it seems that Lowrance is way out in front in terms of popularity on this site and others.

Cashcrews

I have a 188c combo unit on my console and a 172c gps unit on the bow. They both work fantastic. Very reliable and easy to operate. I considered the Lowrance but the Garmin zoomed in closer. I also have a Lowrance 102c locator on the bow that I am happy with. I have the Lakemaster and hotmap chip. Just got back from LOW in Canada and wouldn't be without them. My personal opinion is Garmin gps and Lowrance for locator.