Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
311Hemi

SW North Dakota terrain?

11 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me what the terrain is like in SW North Dakota?

I am going there for my first time in a few weeks and have no idea what I will need for clothing. Do most people get by with just jeans, or are there a bunch of thorns/stickers that I will want/need more protection that just jeans?

Depends. Flat terrain to rolling to steep. Generally dry and dusty. Prickly pear cactus in some areas. Rattlers in some areas (along creeks and rivers mainly).

Locals are in jeans.

311Hemi, What area will you be hunting? I've hunted the Elgin area for about 6 years. Fairly easy walking and some great hunting. The weather is different every year. Sometimes you don't want to even put your boots on it's so warm, other times you can wake up to 10 inches of fresh snow. And this is around the end of Oct.

We will be hunting around New England, just south of Dickison.

Still trying to decide if I need to invest in a heavier pant or just use regular jeans.

Might need something to use in the mornings if it's wet.

It looks like 50*-60* weather for MEA weekend at this point.

As stated earlier, it is fairly dry so the morning dew might not be an issue. But, it is nice to have a pair of good pants. So I say buy some. Good luck and have fun. I will be out there the 10/29 and also 11/13. Good thing the gas prices went down a little, it's a long drive. I would say the worst drive I have ever taken.

I lived in Dickinson and hunted that area a lot. I always just wore jeans, upland pants work well for keeping dry with the mornign dew, but jeans are fine. Have fun, I miss that area

The longest 90 mile stretch every I think is between Jamestown and Bismark, man does that drag on

Thanks for the replies guys!!

I am really looking forward to it with both me and my pup new to pheasant hunting and this both of our first real hunt. I hunted a few times locally last year but nothing like this, and he is a green(but really yellow!!!).

Buy the hunting pants. You won't regret it. You never know what you are going to run into. I hunt that area. I can't wait for this weekend!

Buy the hunting pants. I wil be hunting around the Mott area have been for 11years now. It wil lbe dry and dusty. with some burrs as stated in above email. or buy chaps for jeans.

Minnkota

If you plan to hunt the creek bottoms (that's "crik", for you native Minnesotans), you'll be happy you wore chaps or hunting pants. Bird numbers are up; you'll have a great time!