Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joeltjen10

West Newton

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone done any fishing in West Newton? I've heard the fish have been biting there but the person that told me couldn't remember any details (species, presentation). Just wondering if anyone else had heard anything

What species are you after? By boat or by land?

I could for either boat or land. The people I'm going with like Crappie or pannies I like fishing for just about anything

Last I heard, there was plenty of action, but lacking size.

This is a report from a friend from when he was out last. Him and his friend fished right off of the shore.

I've wanted to check out the Mississippi River backwaters for a few weeks now and finally got a chance today. The weather was cool, wet, and windy. Ron and I decided to check out some shore fishing locations.

Our technique was to keep it simple - a mini-mite jig under a bobber. The fish were very cooperative and we did not need to tip the jigs with any meat. The best depth to set the bobber was 3-5 ft. We used a wide range of colors, but the purples seemed to produce well today.

The smaller fish were very aggressive and we caught well over 150 smaller bluegills and crappies, but there were also some real nice size ones in the mix. The largest bluegills were pushing 8 inches and several crappies around 12 inches.

The rain and cool temps helped us decide to make it an early afternoon. With the wind and cool temps, it sure felt like late fall. The fish didn't mind one bit though! It was still a great day to get out, and also lots of fun to fish some areas from shore instead of fishing from a boat.