Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonnyD

Crank'n on the Red

4 posts in this topic

I have only jigged the Red River, and would like to troll a little bit. Any suggestions on any areas to troll.

JohnnyD, where are you at? What section of the river are you talking about fishing?

We usually jig anywhere from the church Steeple, Sugar Island, float plane base, mm, power lines, and the buoys. We are usually up and down the river. Just seems that the river is so inconsistent with depths, and would be hard to stay at a continuous depth. Just looking to what patterns have worked, if you try and follow an edge, or more common places people try and troll.

Yep, the river's up and down. However, there are sections of the river that are flatter for a longer distance- these make for good trolling passes. Places where deep spots come up to shallower (8-15 feet) shelfs have been good for us. Trying to crank the very steep drops can be frustrating and difficult- look for more gradual drops or, better yet, flats. Also, spots where the channel is around 12 feet for quite a while can be good.

A couple buddies of mine showed me some of their favorite spots for trolling and I don't want to give those spots out. However, if you just watch other trollers you'll get an idea of some of the trolling runs that people are making. Watch the path they take and follow several hundred yards behind them (then you won't crowd them and make them mad, but can learn from what they're doing).

Good luck,