Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VMS

Replacing Cables and string on old bow...

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone...

I have an older Infinity SRL500. Found today that the vinl covering one of my cables has a chunk missing. I have not ever had the cables, nor the string changed since I first purchased the bow and I think it's probably time. The bow is about 12 years old or so...

Question though...This bow has an older cable system that has a big metal piece where the cables attach to rather than the fast flight strings we see on today's bows mounted on the outsides of the limbs. Is it possible to change to that configuration rather than get the old cables since they need to be replaced? The main string is a Zebra string, but I think it has stretched quite a bit. The bow is set for 28 inches and it seems much longer than my target bow set at 29 inches.

Also, any idea on cost for the work?

Thanks

Steve

They will almost definately just replace the steel cable with a quality synthetic cable. They are more reliable and more shock absorbing so they are easier on your bow limbs and quieter too.

Usually its less than $100. Parts are gonna be from $60-80 and then installation is usually pretty cheap. It should include getting you resetup after making all the necessary changes.

Don't know where you live, but Cabin Fever in Victoria is a sponser on the site here and that is where I get all my work done. In fact the owner, Jeff, is the the one who installed my new peep sight and got me sighted in again two weeks ago. They do great work.

Thanks for the response...

I am from Hastings, so the closest place that I can go that will have the items will probably be Bwana in Little Canada. I work in St. Paul, so a quick run after work and hopefully they will have the stuff on hand to make the repair quickly. I want to be on Stand next saturday and it would just kill me if I didn't have my bow back....

Thanks again!!

steve

Well here's the report:

I got new cables and a new string mounted in the original fashion as the old cables. The bow is now quieter, faster and definitely more accurate. with a total of $81 in materials and labor, I think I will keep this bow a while..

Steve

VMS- Congrats on getting it in working order again!... that is good news!

Awesome. DId you get the work done at Bwana's? I've driven by there before, but I've never been in there before. I live on the other side of town, but its good to know of another quality archery pro shop. You may run into someone with experience at Gander, Cabelas or Sportmans, but nothing beats the everyday working with bows that happens at a quality pro shop.

Get out there and start flinging some arrows.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Ok so every year Try to get the guys from work on a fishing trip. Trying to decide on where to go we usually rent a cabin and run portables.

I am thinking Devils lake, LOW, or Red

Devils we would do the lodge ice house package because the deal is too good to mess with bringing a trailer and sled or wheelers with.

what would you choose and any other suggestions Leech or Vermillion?

• I plan on taking all my ice fishing equipment out of my shed this week I cant wait

• fins_n'_feathers

Posted

any  reports from today? we pounded through the washing machine waves all day and got nothing! Lead core,jigging, spinners haha! Ended up getting all our keepers within a mile of home when it was all over! Who else was out there? Am I the only one that did poor today?

• proguide

Posted

Cool nights and only a few warming hours each day have water temps coming down into the 50s this week.  This is actually pretty normal for the last week of September so there is nothing to odd here. 

The catfish have slowed down over the past few days with this cool off.  They are still around to catch.  They are hanging near structure, usually on the drop off to the channel right next to it.  They are also on the softer side of the current in holes.  It seems that longer sit times are in order this week to allow the fish to come out, find and decide to eat the bait.

Sucker seems to be the bait of choice right now.  Frogs just have not been getting any attention.

• leech~~

Posted

26 minutes ago, DANR said:

From the fall Pelican Lakes Association newsletter - DNR Fisheries Update:

You may have heard about the 454 adult cormorantsthat were removed from Gooseberrry Island this May by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services Unit under a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  DNR staff looked at the stomach contents of 30 birds. Eleven of those birds had stomach contents including: 38 perch (mostly 4- inchers), 7 spot-tail shiners, 7 bluegills, 6 crappies, 1 rock bass, 1 pike, and zero walleyes.

Thanks for the Update.  Hopefully they shoot 400 more next spring! :):)

• FishinCT

Posted

They were really slow today. I fished hard all day and didn't manage much. Went over tons of fish and they weren't active at all. Should get better as the weekend gets closer...I hope

• gizmoguy

Posted

Go with steel. Contact Isle supply.

• From the fall Pelican Lakes Association newsletter - DNR Fisheries Update:

You may have heard about the 454 adult cormorantsthat were removed from Gooseberrry Island this May by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services Unit under a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  DNR staff looked at the stomach contents of 30 birds. Eleven of those birds had stomach contents including: 38 perch (mostly 4- inchers), 7 spot-tail shiners, 7 bluegills, 6 crappies, 1 rock bass, 1 pike, and zero walleyes. 

• Hello Friends:

Looking for some help as I've been up here since yesterday morning and only two 22" walleyes. I've fished fairly hard (5 or 6 hours) and tried all of my normal spots in Frazer/Smarts/Narrows area using all presentations with minnows and crawlers. Would love to have a walleye dinner (couple of 15's) for my black lab and I tomorrow night and any suggestions would be welcomed.

I'm not looking for spots, but general depth and bait.

Thanks guys

Andy

• delcecchi

Posted

It is great.  I don't know if they are still doing grumpy gary chicken this time of year but it is good.  They have specials on various nights, at least in summer.  

• ZachD
      Ok so every year Try to get the guys from work on a fishing trip. Trying to decide on where to go we usually rent a cabin and run portables. I am thinking Devils lake, LOW, or Red Devils we would do the lodge ice house package because the deal is too good to mess with bringing a trailer and sled or wheelers with.   what would you choose and any other suggestions Leech or Vermillion?
    • ZachD
      I plan on taking all my ice fishing equipment out of my shed this week I cant wait
    • fins_n'_feathers
      any  reports from today? we pounded through the washing machine waves all day and got nothing! Lead core,jigging, spinners haha! Ended up getting all our keepers within a mile of home when it was all over! Who else was out there? Am I the only one that did poor today?
    • proguide
      Cool nights and only a few warming hours each day have water temps coming down into the 50s this week.  This is actually pretty normal for the last week of September so there is nothing to odd here. 
        The catfish have slowed down over the past few days with this cool off.  They are still around to catch.  They are hanging near structure, usually on the drop off to the channel right next to it.  They are also on the softer side of the current in holes.  It seems that longer sit times are in order this week to allow the fish to come out, find and decide to eat the bait.
        Sucker seems to be the bait of choice right now.  Frogs just have not been getting any attention.
    • leech~~
      Thanks for the Update.  Hopefully they shoot 400 more next spring!