Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thistlekicker

St Croix factory store

5 posts in this topic

I may be within an hours drive of Park Falls sometime next week and am wondering if the St Croix factory store typically has discounted rods for sale. I seem to have heard rumors that they have cosmetic blemish, factory 2nds, etc. Anyone been in there recently?

never been there before.... I wonder if they have their avid and legend ice rods on clearance, since the are ditiching the tennessee handle for one with reel seats....

Yes...I grew up about an hour from Park Falls. We used to be able to buy Legend blanks for super cheap, but the advent of e-bay and such put an end to that. They sell a lot of short, stiffer rods(missing3-4" of tip), but they also sell a lot of blemished rods for really good prices. I haven't been there for almost 2 years, but I'd be surprised if things have changed all that much.

St. Croix used to sell off all of their blanks that didn't make it through the quality inspections to places that sell rod making stuff like Wild River in Stillwater, but they were haveing too many show back up for warranty work so the last I heard they now destroy all blanks that don't meet standards. This has happened in the last 2 years. I have not built a rod since I have heard this, so I can't say for sure, but I was told to buy as many St. Croix blanks that I wanted then because that was going to be some of their last seconds they were letting out to the public.

St. Croix doesn't send blank seconds to wild river any more. I used to get a fair amount of them but they told me too many people were buying them and selling them as a st croix rod and they were just not going to have that out there. Too bad you could get some really nice stuff cheap.