Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wplatehunter

Lake of the Woods

6 posts in this topic

Well we booked our first ice fishing trip of the year at Jakes north west angle for Dec. 18th. Now all we have to do is hope for good ice. I have never been up there for early ice so I'm hoping for good fishing. Has anyone fished up there during early ice? I have been up there a lot of times and alway had good fishing, but we always have gone later in the year.

Have you gone with Jakes before? Whats your experiences with them if you have?

Fishing should be good. Early ice always seems best no matter where you go. The angle is a great place to fish.

I really don't think you could pick out a bad time to go icefishing in the NW Angle! 1DIRTBALL wink.gif

Where I work, there are several guys that go with Jakes, and they have been very happy.

Over the years, I have gone out of NW Angle resort, and they run their houses through RC Carlson. RC is a fabulous guide, and knows that part of the lake like few others. On some of our recent portable missions, RC went as far to give us GPS spots to try, plus bait. He would not take any offer of cash for his troubles.

Since we have started going on our own with portables, we have been staying at Walsh's Bay Store Camp. When you stay out on Oak Island, the daily trips are much shorter than from the mainland.

From what I have experienced, and from reports I have heard - It is hard to go wrong with any operation in the Angle.

We went with Frank at Baystore on the Island and I agree the shorter trips are a big bonus for me. I hated the long bomber rides to and from that wasted fishing time.

If you see Frank this year tel him Steve, Billy and Rob say HI.

Thanks guys for the replys. I have been going out of Jakes now for the last six years. They have always treated us good, and the fishing has been good. Some years better than others. I always have gone in the later part of February. I am looking forward to going. We are also going up some time in February also. I have always wanted to try early ice up there. Last year we went out of zipple bay for early ice and the fishing very slow.