Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Milkdud

Windy Weather

7 posts in this topic

With this windy weather how has it been fishing the rainy or Gap? Is it still possible with a 16 foot boat? I was planning on driving up for the day tomorrow but it is a three hour drive and don't want to come if the waves will be crashing on me. How has the fishing been at both locations?

Milkdud,

Hope this isn't to late. Good thing about the river is there is always a place to get out of the wind. With the low current the fish seem to be spread out & just about anywhere. Case in point, I put an old man, a lady who had never caught a fish, and her husband (who I had to show how to hook a shiner) in a 16' boat yesterday (kinda scary) and they never left sight of the dock. They all caught eyes up to 18" and the guy got broke off by a sturgeon, all in 2 hours.

Good Luck!

Just got back yesterday from the Rainy and did ok. Saturday was beautiful with temps in the low 70s and south winds 10-15 and then there was Sunday with those west winds gusting over 30 mph and cooler temps. We fished out of Frontier both days and ended up with 50 total on Sat. and only 16 on Sunday before we left at noon (wind was hard to battle). The big fish didn't seem to in the river as of yet, or they were pretty tight-lipped. Our biggest was just over 19" with many in that 11" to 16" range. We managed to get our limit for the pan after being picky about what size we would keep. Also hooked into a couple sturgeon that added a little adrenaline bump after periods of waiting for something to hit. It can only get better as the water temp starts to fall off this next week with the threats of snow and cold.

Reports are the same as skykings further up the river. The walleyes are agressively hitting jigs tipped with shiners, but nothing as far as hogs yet. The biggest my dad has caught so far has been twenty inches. The smallies have seemed to have slowed down compared to mid-september, I am looking forward to getting into a few pig smallies in a week here, so hopefully they will be biting.

Good Luck Fishing Guys!

Big fish are on the way in. We've landed a few big fish, but lots of 15-18 inchers! What a great time of year huh! Don't know weather to grouse hunt or walleye fish HMMN! Get out there boys! This is big fish time!

i'm coming up tonight and will be staying at border view. we will be putting at the access there and heading up the river. any tips on how far to go or can we just sit in front of border view and catch fish. any suggestions would be great. thanks

I'd probably go down rather than up from what I've seen fishwise over the past week and a half...But this cold snap may just change things up a bit. Monday night saw alot more big shiners mixed in with the pinheads as compared to what I saw the week prior shinerwise.

Have fun....fiskyknut