Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
walleyes12

FM Fall Fishing

6 posts in this topic

Well Fall is now upon us and I figure the walleye action in our area must be fired up! I was hoping for alittle help from some of the veterans of the Red River. I have been a college student for 4 years up in Moorhead and Hoping to soon graduate and call Moorhead my home town. I have been trying to locate fall walleyes ever since I have been up here. I have had some luck here and there. I do all my fishing from shore since I am just a poor college student. I was just curious if anyone can give some advice on where to go?, what to look for?, what baits? any information would be great. The red river cab get overwhelming trying to find key spots from shore. Thanks guys I will post my email address if anyone would like to email me any information.

lmcnally12@yahoo.com

Thanks

I myself haven't done much fall walleye fishing on the Red but looks like that will be changing as well.

Right now I believe that holes would be places to look for fish as it seems to be a good staging point for them right now. I noticed a few holes last night that were "loaded" when I was out for cats.

Baits right now would be - creek chubs or frogs.

I will be exploring the Red starting this week for eyes. I usually have an open seat in the boat if you want to get out.

Drop me a line and maybe we can work something out motorhead327@hotmail.com

First suggestion- do a search of this forum looking for "fall fishing", "fall walleyes", or "walleyes". There's been tons of info posted on this in the past. Read Backwater Eddy's posts closely- tons of good info there.

Four main rigs I'd suggest for now- jig/minnow, jig/frog/ slip rig, crankbaits. Your search of this forum should provide you with more info about these combos if you want more.

Spots to fish- classic fall spots- anything that stops the movement of fish in a large way can be good, feeder creeks (including ditches), spots in the river where frogs will migrate into it. Most spots that are good in the Spring can have potential in the fall.

Last, and I'm serious about this, hire Ed Carlson for a day or two. It'd be worth every penny- he'll bump up your learning curve big time. Nobody around here can teach you more faster then him.

Scoot-

Thanks for some of the tips. I sat down in front of toppo map of the red river and found a few spots to try. Last night before the rain we caught 7 eye and 2 northerns. We finally had a well deserved feast of walleye from the red river. Now with the colder temps sitting on us, I was curious if the walleye action will really slow down or do the stay pretty aggressive in the colder temps? Well thanks again for some of the advice I really appreciate the help.

walleye, what's your e-mail addy? I can give you a little more direction if you'd like.

Congrats on finding a few fish. It's a great time of year to be chasin' walleyes on the Red.

my email is lmcanlly12@yahoo.com, and more advice would be greatly appreciated, I am always willing to learn something new.