• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Croix Avid vs. Legend Ultra

so haaad

Anyone out there ever compared the two? I'm looking to build a new 9' 5-weight this winter and was debating between the two. Is the Legend Ultra too fast for the small streams of west central WI or SE MN? Or, is the Avid to slow for nymphing and weighted flies?

The Avid is a SCIII blank, moderate-fast action, and the IPC taper like on the Legends; $100

The Legend Ultra is a SCIV blank, fast action, and the IPC and ART taper; $150

I'd say both blanks are great values for their price. I think the speed of their actions is going to be a personal preference when casting. Your best bet would be to cast both rods at a store before building your rod, and seeing which action you prefer.

Some anglers prefer a slower action when nymphing, or even when fishing dropppers. It helps them open up the casting loop and avoid tangles. I've also heard of anglers prefering a slower action on dry flies to get a more delicate presentation.

My preference of the two blanks for fishing the SE would be the Avid blank. When confined in tight reaches of stream I pefer a little slower action to get my fly where I want it. With a faster action it feels like I am forcing or rushing the cast.

If I was going to fish a freestone river or a situtation with no overhead obstructions, I would pick a fast action, Legend all the way.

my next rod purchase is going to be a 9ft' 5wt Avid, but I'm not sure if I'm going to build it or not. Let us know which blank you decide on.

I've got a 9' 5wt Avid and really like it. I usually fish a double-nymph rig with weight and it handles that extremely well. I've only cast my buddies 4wt LU and enjoyed how that cast as well. Personally, I prefer the Avid because of price but would like to add a Legend Ultra to my collection.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Many thanks, guys. I am now leaning towards building an Avid. I've been fishing a 13 year old St. Croix Pro Graphite that has treated me well over the years. It's been slammed in a car door...twice, caught everything from trout to walleye to catfish, and has held up travelling in the backpack on some very remote hike-in excursions. But it's finally time to upgrate to something that is a little higher quality.

I think the Avid is the better choice. The LU rods tend to be stiff, for sure, but that's a little different than "fast". The Avids are more progressive and easier to use in a variety of circumstances.

I have owned both legends and avids and i personally have had better luck with my avids, the action is a bit slower but still quite fast. The avid is a little heavier but is a much more solid rod in my opinion...especially for the price.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought an Avid blank yesterday. I actually went with a 9' 4 weight. Should be fun fighting on a lighter rod! Thanks for your recommendations, guys.