Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
so haaad

St. Croix Avid vs. Legend Ultra

7 posts in this topic

Anyone out there ever compared the two? I'm looking to build a new 9' 5-weight this winter and was debating between the two. Is the Legend Ultra too fast for the small streams of west central WI or SE MN? Or, is the Avid to slow for nymphing and weighted flies?

The Avid is a SCIII blank, moderate-fast action, and the IPC taper like on the Legends; $100

The Legend Ultra is a SCIV blank, fast action, and the IPC and ART taper; $150

I'd say both blanks are great values for their price. I think the speed of their actions is going to be a personal preference when casting. Your best bet would be to cast both rods at a store before building your rod, and seeing which action you prefer.

Some anglers prefer a slower action when nymphing, or even when fishing dropppers. It helps them open up the casting loop and avoid tangles. I've also heard of anglers prefering a slower action on dry flies to get a more delicate presentation.

My preference of the two blanks for fishing the SE would be the Avid blank. When confined in tight reaches of stream I pefer a little slower action to get my fly where I want it. With a faster action it feels like I am forcing or rushing the cast.

If I was going to fish a freestone river or a situtation with no overhead obstructions, I would pick a fast action, Legend all the way.

my next rod purchase is going to be a 9ft' 5wt Avid, but I'm not sure if I'm going to build it or not. Let us know which blank you decide on.

I've got a 9' 5wt Avid and really like it. I usually fish a double-nymph rig with weight and it handles that extremely well. I've only cast my buddies 4wt LU and enjoyed how that cast as well. Personally, I prefer the Avid because of price but would like to add a Legend Ultra to my collection.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Many thanks, guys. I am now leaning towards building an Avid. I've been fishing a 13 year old St. Croix Pro Graphite that has treated me well over the years. It's been slammed in a car door...twice, caught everything from trout to walleye to catfish, and has held up travelling in the backpack on some very remote hike-in excursions. But it's finally time to upgrate to something that is a little higher quality.

I think the Avid is the better choice. The LU rods tend to be stiff, for sure, but that's a little different than "fast". The Avids are more progressive and easier to use in a variety of circumstances.

I have owned both legends and avids and i personally have had better luck with my avids, the action is a bit slower but still quite fast. The avid is a little heavier but is a much more solid rod in my opinion...especially for the price.

I bought an Avid blank yesterday. I actually went with a 9' 4 weight. Should be fun fighting on a lighter rod! Thanks for your recommendations, guys.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Live to hunt another day by wearing a life jacket or float coat
      Hunters preparing to hit the water this fall in pursuit of ducks, geese and other wild game are reminded to include life jackets on their hunting gear checklist.
      “Hunters in Minnesota are trained from a young age to always put safety first. For duck and goose hunters, that means always wearing a life jacket on the water, no exceptions,” said Lt. Col. Greg Salo waterfowl-safetyof the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Enforcement Division.

Each year, more waterfowl hunters die from drowning than from other types of hunting accidents. Swamping, capsizing and falling overboard are all common factors leading to these deaths, but in nearly all cases the hunter would have survived had they been wearing a life jacket.

“Before launching the duck boat, make sure everyone on board is wearing a life jacket or float coat,” Salo said. “It’s the one item that greatly increases your odds of surviving a water emergency and living to hunt another day.”

The wide variety of comfortable, camouflage life jackets designed specifically for waterfowl hunting includes inflatable vest and belt-pack styles, insulated flotation jackets, and foam-filled shooting vests with quilted shoulders and shell loops.

“Typical foam-filled vests or float coats provide optimal insulation against cold air and the effects of hypothermia, but without question, the best life jacket for waterfowl hunting is the one you will actually wear,” said Lisa Dugan, DNR boating and water safety outreach coordinator. “Choosing a life jacket style that works for you, and wearing it every time you’re on the water, is not only a good choice – it could save your life.”

At the very least, all boats must carry one U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jacket for each passenger, and boats longer than 16 feet must also have a throwable flotation device immediately available. Children under 10 must wear a life jacket.

Other water safety tips for duck hunters include:

• Don’t overload the boat; take two trips if necessary.
      • If wearing hip boots or waders, learn how to float with them on.
      • Stay near shore and avoid crossing large expanses of open water, especially in bad weather.
      • Share your trip plans with someone and advise them to call for help if you don’t return on schedule.
      • Use a headlamp, spotlight or navigation lights to alert other boaters of presence in dark and/or foggy conditions.
      • Carry a cell phone or personal locator beacon in case of emergency.
      • Don’t drink and boat and don’t drink and hunt

Visit mndnr.gov/boatingsafety to download the DNR’s “Water Safety for Duck Hunters” brochure and to learn more about boating safety for hunters.

Discuss below - to view set the hook here.

• The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is seeking applications for grants to support off-highway vehicle (OHV) trail projects and new trail proposals.

Application forms for projects on existing trails are due to a Parks and Trails area supervisor’s office each year by Nov. 30. New trail proposals are accepted throughout the year.

First authorized in 1984, Minnesota’s OHV trails assistance program is a cost-share program intended to help develop and maintain trails for use by all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), off-highway motorcycles (OHMs) and off-road vehicles (ORVs).

Known as the OHV grant-in-aid (GIA) program, it helps to establish and maintain recreational trails at the initiative of clubs and other organizations, with the support and participation of local government sponsors.

Organizations can apply for GIA funds through counties, cities or townships. All aspects of OHV trail development and maintenance are eligible for funding, including project administration, site planning, trail improvements, land acquisition for trail development, and trail maintenance. Proposals with a focus on maintaining or improving existing trails and trail systems will be assigned a higher priority.

Program and application information is www.dnr.state.mn.us/grants/recreation/gia_ohv.html
      or by contacting the DNR Information Center at info.dnr@state.mn.us or 651-296-615, or 888-646-6367 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
                                                                                                     -30-

• The Department of Natural Resources will sell 40 northern Minnesota parcels in three public oral bid auctions in October and November.

• Tuesday, Oct. 25 – Nine northwestern Minnesota parcels will be auctioned at the County Administration Building in Bemidji.
      • Thursday, Oct. 27 – 27 northeastern Minnesota parcels will be auctioned at the Lake County Courthouse in Two Harbors.
      • Thursday, Nov. 3 – Four parcels in north-central Minnesota will be auctioned at DNR Brainerd area office.

The properties include unimproved recreational land and residential lakeshore parcels in Aitkin, Cass, Clearwater, Cook, Crow Wing, Hubbard, Itasca, Lake, and St. Louis counties. There is a wide range of sizes and land uses in this selection of sales, from a small 0.80 acre former water access site on Pine Lake in Clearwater County to a 200-acre recreational parcel in Breitung Township in northeastern St. Louis County.

The DNR regularly sells land which is no longer needed for its original conservation purpose, after a thorough internal review, and after giving state agencies and local governments opportunities to purchase the land. Proceeds from sales of lands the DNR had once acquired go to the DNR division that had managed the land and are used to purchase and develop lands better suited to that division’s conservation goals.

Many of the parcels to be sold are School Trust lands. Proceeds from these auction sales are deposited to a fund that benefits the state’s public school system. School Trust land by law can only be sold at public auction.
      Bidders are advised to obtain and view the property data sheet, be familiar with the property, minimum bid price, and terms and conditions of sale prior to attending the auction.

To obtain a property data sheet or terms and conditions of sale call 651-259-5432, or 888-646-6367 or email landsale@dnr.state.mn.us. The property data sheets are also available online at www.dnr.state.mn.us/lands_minerals/landsale/.

• Minnesota’s absentee voting law makes it easy for hunters who plan to be in the field on Election Day to make their vote count on Tuesday, Nov. 8. Minnesota’s firearms deer season opens Saturday, Nov. 5.

Minnesotans can request an absentee ballot to be mailed to them, or they can vote absentee in-person at their county or local elections office. Ballots must be returned on or before the Nov. 8 general election.

Details about early voting are available on the Minnesota Secretary of State website at www.sos.state.mn.us/elections-voting/other-ways-to-vote, or by calling 877-600-8683, or
      651-215-1440 in Twin Cities area.

• State forest trail use and management in northern St. Louis and Lake counties will be the topic of an open house, Wednesday, Oct. 19, 6-8 p.m., at Vermillion Community College, Room NS111, 1900 East Camp St., Ely.

During the open house, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources staff will provide maps of existing trails, answer questions and take comments and suggestions from the public.

Between 2003 and 2008, the DNR inventoried all routes and designated trails for various types of recreation within state forests.

This current project will reevaluate the designations made during the initial review of the Bear Island, Burntside, Insula Lake, Lake Isabella, Lake Jeanette and Sturgeon River state forests in St. Louis and Lake counties.

Changes could include redefining how trails can be used, determining options for motorized trail routes and trail connections, closing unsustainable trails, designating “areas with limitations” during hunting and trapping activities, and developing new hunter-walking trails. Changes to state forest trail designations must be made by commissioner’s order and published in the State Register.

Written comments may be submitted to foresttrailplanning.dnr@state.mn.us or by mail to Joe Unger, DNR Parks and Trails, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, MN 55155-4039. The DNR will accept written comments through Nov. 2.

For more information, contact:

• Joe Unger, OHV planner, Parks and Trails Division, 651-259-5279.
      • Joe Majerus, area supervisor, Parks and Trails Division, Tower Area Office, 218-300-7842.

Information is also available online at www.dnr.state.mn.us/input/mgmtplans/ohv/designation/revisions.html.

• Sartell artist Scot Storm won the 2017 Minnesota Pheasant Habitat Stamp contest. The painting was selected by judges from among 15 submissions for the annual contest sponsored by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.

Storm’s painting will be featured on the 2017 pheasant habitat stamp. His artwork has been featured on the pheasant stamp in 2011, 2006 and 2000; and on the waterfowl stamp in 2015, 2009 and 2004.

The pheasant stamp validation for hunting is $7.50 and is required for pheasant hunters ages 18 to 64. For an extra 75 cents, purchasers can receive the validation as well as the pictorial stamp in the mail. It also is sold as a collectible. Revenue from stamp sales is dedicated to pheasant management and habitat work.

Four entries advanced as finalists and were selected Sept. 22 at DNR headquarters in St. Paul. Other finalists were Mark Thone, second place; Nicholas Markell, third place; and Mark Kness, fourth place.

The DNR offers no prizes for the stamp contest winner, but the winning artist retains the right to reproduce the work. The 2017 pheasant stamp will be available for sale in March.

• eyeguy 54

Posted

A dandy beast visited the yak this morning. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• NorthwoodKing

Posted

2011 Alumacraft 165cs, fully loaded, Musky rods/reels, spinning rods/reels, hundreds of musky lures, walleye cranks, tackle

Abu Garcia Revo Toro 60 5.4:1 $175
      Shimano Calcutta 400TE $250
      Shimano Curado 300EJ $200
      Shimano Tekota 500LC $150
      Daiwa Lexa 300 HS-P $200

St. Croix Mojo Musky 8' Med-Heavy Split grip $100
      St.Croix Premier 8'6" Heavy $125
      St.Croix Premier 8' Heavy - glass/graphite $125
      Thorne Bros. C Series Custom 8'6" Heavy $175
      Fenwick Elite Tech 7"6" Heavy - jerkbait/twitchbait $125

St. Croix Avid 6'6" Med - spinning $75
      St. Croix Premier 6' Med -- spinning $75
      St. Croix Premier 7' Med -- spinning $75
      St. Croix Premier 6' Med lite Fast -- spinning $75
      St. Croix Premier glass/graphite Moderate -- trolling $75
      Fenwick Eagle 6'6" Med Fast -- spinning $75

Pflueger President Spinning reel #6730 $60
      Pflueger President Spinning reel #6730 $60
      Pflueger President Spinning reels #6925 $70
      Daiwa Sealine SG17LC3B $75

Bristol Village 102nd & Bush Lake Road Bloomington - Saturday October 1st 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.

00w0w_bROm6jzb6Er_600x450.jpg

• hoppe56307

Posted

I am JACKED UP, we leave for North Dakota tonight, scout all day tomorrow and blast:Bang: first thing saturday morning.  

• HunterFisher11

Posted

Going to be coming up to nam and kab for last open water fishing for the year, just wondering if any one has been out and any luck?? And any pointers on where to try and presentation?? Thanks!! 

• Rick
      Live to hunt another day by wearing a life jacket or float coat
      Hunters preparing to hit the water this fall in pursuit of ducks, geese and other wild game are reminded to include life jackets on their hunting gear checklist.
      “Hunters in Minnesota are trained from a young age to always put safety first. For duck and goose hunters, that means always wearing a life jacket on the water, no exceptions,” said Lt. Col. Greg Salo of the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Enforcement Division. Each year, more waterfowl hunters die from drowning than from other types of hunting accidents. Swamping, capsizing and falling overboard are all common factors leading to these deaths, but in nearly all cases the hunter would have survived had they been wearing a life jacket. “Before launching the duck boat, make sure everyone on board is wearing a life jacket or float coat,” Salo said. “It’s the one item that greatly increases your odds of surviving a water emergency and living to hunt another day.” The wide variety of comfortable, camouflage life jackets designed specifically for waterfowl hunting includes inflatable vest and belt-pack styles, insulated flotation jackets, and foam-filled shooting vests with quilted shoulders and shell loops. “Typical foam-filled vests or float coats provide optimal insulation against cold air and the effects of hypothermia, but without question, the best life jacket for waterfowl hunting is the one you will actually wear,” said Lisa Dugan, DNR boating and water safety outreach coordinator. “Choosing a life jacket style that works for you, and wearing it every time you’re on the water, is not only a good choice – it could save your life.” At the very least, all boats must carry one U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jacket for each passenger, and boats longer than 16 feet must also have a throwable flotation device immediately available. Children under 10 must wear a life jacket. Other water safety tips for duck hunters include: Don’t overload the boat; take two trips if necessary. If wearing hip boots or waders, learn how to float with them on. Stay near shore and avoid crossing large expanses of open water, especially in bad weather. Share your trip plans with someone and advise them to call for help if you don’t return on schedule. Use a headlamp, spotlight or navigation lights to alert other boaters of presence in dark and/or foggy conditions. Carry a cell phone or personal locator beacon in case of emergency. Don’t drink and boat and don’t drink and hunt Visit mndnr.gov/boatingsafety to download the DNR’s “Water Safety for Duck Hunters” brochure and to learn more about boating safety for hunters. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is seeking applications for grants to support off-highway vehicle (OHV) trail projects and new trail proposals. Application forms for projects on existing trails are due to a Parks and Trails area supervisor’s office each year by Nov. 30. New trail proposals are accepted throughout the year. First authorized in 1984, Minnesota’s OHV trails assistance program is a cost-share program intended to help develop and maintain trails for use by all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), off-highway motorcycles (OHMs) and off-road vehicles (ORVs). Known as the OHV grant-in-aid (GIA) program, it helps to establish and maintain recreational trails at the initiative of clubs and other organizations, with the support and participation of local government sponsors. Organizations can apply for GIA funds through counties, cities or townships. All aspects of OHV trail development and maintenance are eligible for funding, including project administration, site planning, trail improvements, land acquisition for trail development, and trail maintenance. Proposals with a focus on maintaining or improving existing trails and trail systems will be assigned a higher priority. Program and application information is www.dnr.state.mn.us/grants/recreation/gia_ohv.html
      or by contacting the DNR Information Center at info.dnr@state.mn.us or 651-296-615, or 888-646-6367 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
                                                                                                     -30- Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The Department of Natural Resources will sell 40 northern Minnesota parcels in three public oral bid auctions in October and November. Tuesday, Oct. 25 – Nine northwestern Minnesota parcels will be auctioned at the County Administration Building in Bemidji. Thursday, Oct. 27 – 27 northeastern Minnesota parcels will be auctioned at the Lake County Courthouse in Two Harbors. Thursday, Nov. 3 – Four parcels in north-central Minnesota will be auctioned at DNR Brainerd area office. The properties include unimproved recreational land and residential lakeshore parcels in Aitkin, Cass, Clearwater, Cook, Crow Wing, Hubbard, Itasca, Lake, and St. Louis counties. There is a wide range of sizes and land uses in this selection of sales, from a small 0.80 acre former water access site on Pine Lake in Clearwater County to a 200-acre recreational parcel in Breitung Township in northeastern St. Louis County. The DNR regularly sells land which is no longer needed for its original conservation purpose, after a thorough internal review, and after giving state agencies and local governments opportunities to purchase the land. Proceeds from sales of lands the DNR had once acquired go to the DNR division that had managed the land and are used to purchase and develop lands better suited to that division’s conservation goals. Many of the parcels to be sold are School Trust lands. Proceeds from these auction sales are deposited to a fund that benefits the state’s public school system. School Trust land by law can only be sold at public auction.
      Bidders are advised to obtain and view the property data sheet, be familiar with the property, minimum bid price, and terms and conditions of sale prior to attending the auction. To obtain a property data sheet or terms and conditions of sale call 651-259-5432, or 888-646-6367 or email landsale@dnr.state.mn.us. The property data sheets are also available online at www.dnr.state.mn.us/lands_minerals/landsale/. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Minnesota’s absentee voting law makes it easy for hunters who plan to be in the field on Election Day to make their vote count on Tuesday, Nov. 8. Minnesota’s firearms deer season opens Saturday, Nov. 5. Minnesotans can request an absentee ballot to be mailed to them, or they can vote absentee in-person at their county or local elections office. Ballots must be returned on or before the Nov. 8 general election. Details about early voting are available on the Minnesota Secretary of State website at www.sos.state.mn.us/elections-voting/other-ways-to-vote, or by calling 877-600-8683, or
      651-215-1440 in Twin Cities area. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      State forest trail use and management in northern St. Louis and Lake counties will be the topic of an open house, Wednesday, Oct. 19, 6-8 p.m., at Vermillion Community College, Room NS111, 1900 East Camp St., Ely. During the open house, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources staff will provide maps of existing trails, answer questions and take comments and suggestions from the public. Between 2003 and 2008, the DNR inventoried all routes and designated trails for various types of recreation within state forests. This current project will reevaluate the designations made during the initial review of the Bear Island, Burntside, Insula Lake, Lake Isabella, Lake Jeanette and Sturgeon River state forests in St. Louis and Lake counties. Changes could include redefining how trails can be used, determining options for motorized trail routes and trail connections, closing unsustainable trails, designating “areas with limitations” during hunting and trapping activities, and developing new hunter-walking trails. Changes to state forest trail designations must be made by commissioner’s order and published in the State Register. Written comments may be submitted to foresttrailplanning.dnr@state.mn.us or by mail to Joe Unger, DNR Parks and Trails, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, MN 55155-4039. The DNR will accept written comments through Nov. 2. For more information, contact: Joe Unger, OHV planner, Parks and Trails Division, 651-259-5279. Joe Majerus, area supervisor, Parks and Trails Division, Tower Area Office, 218-300-7842. Information is also available online at www.dnr.state.mn.us/input/mgmtplans/ohv/designation/revisions.html. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.