Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishin'Mad-Mandan

ducks

12 posts in this topic

how was the hunting on woman lake chain this opener ? debating if i want to bring my gear up to the cabin?

We hunted on Leech for opening weekend. First time we ever hunted it. 4 guys, 2 days, 13 ducks and 1 goose. We did see alot more birds that we did not have shots at. We shot a mallared, a few wood ducks, a number of Ringed-necks, and a few of what I believe to be a scoup. Are greater or lesser scoup common to this area or are they something else? I did not hear any reports from the Woman chain.

leech sounds pretty good . as for the scuop i dont know.

Bluebills could quite possibly be native or you might have got some early migratation action.

We went out again this past weekend on and around leech. Two of us had 7-ducks on saturday and 4-duck on sunday. Had our limit of woodies each day. Also bagged a ringneck and 2 more scaup. I did some searching on the internet and found out the following on Scaup.

"Scaup duck (Zo["o]l.), any one of several species of

northern ducks of the genus Aythya, or Fuligula. The

adult males are, in large part, black. The three North

American species are: the greater scaup duck (Aythya

marila, var. nearctica), called also broadbill,

bluebill, blackhead, flock duck, flocking fowl,

and raft duck; the lesser scaup duck (A. affinis),

called also little bluebill, river broadbill, and

shuffler; the tufted, or ring-necked, scaup duck (A.

collaris), called also black jack, ringneck,

ringbill, ringbill shuffler, etc. See Illust.. of

Ring-necked duck, under Ring-necked. The common

European scaup, or mussel, duck (A. marila), closely

resembles the American variety."

does any one know anything for woman lake

I couldn't tell you how things are now, but opening weekend, there was not much shooting going on anywhere in that area. You'd hear shots now and then, but nothing like about 20-25 years ago.

I would think with the recent cold snap that more ringbills will come through and be in the area.

Steve

Hey, i seen that you hunted leech lake for ducks and i was wondering where you hunted at? i hunt there as well and did vary well limit for 4 guys. I see that u did not see that many birds we seen alot and everything came in range. lots a bills, red head, mallareds, ring bills, and also coots but did not take those. Thanks hope to here from you soon.

huntingmaster, We hunted primarly in the SW corner of the main basin in Uran bay. I spent one day off the north side of Pipe Island with little luck. Where were you hunting? BTW welcome to the forum.

we hunted the NW tip portage bay and have done ok in the past but i think that the Ducks are up from the past couple years. and i aslo what to ask if u ever ise fish leech? i know that the walleye are down from the past and i think that it will take alot if time for them to come back to a good population. i have a cabin up there and was wondering if its worth the trip to even try and fish the lake.

I ice fished the main lake a little last year. No walleyes, but then again I am not real good at locating them. I think guys still do ok on walleyes in walker bay though. It is hard on the main lake with no plowed roads. I am not sure how it might be up in Portage. I will ice fish it again this winter but will probably head to Walker bay or a different lake.

Ya i have never really fished that side of the lake. If i fish there this winter i will have a snowmobile so i can be somewhat mobile. But one thing that i do know is when your Duck hunting bring the poles my dad and i got into some nice crappie when we were not hunting. 15.5 inches was the biggest. and that was down by north star. any Ice yet on leech?