• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Johnson must go

tcroz

It may of been mentioned by now but ...Brad Johnson is like watching paint dry. He is totallty inadequate in arm strength, scrambling ability, and putting the pill in the endzone. It is pretty easy for defenses to prepare for him knowing he can not throw the ball over 20 yards. I do not know what the answer is, but when Tavarious Jackson returns I hope they give him a good look. He will never take us to the next level! I bleed purple and have for 40 years but this is ridiclous...GET HIM OUT

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tcroz

• nofishfisherman

• bottomdweller

• buzzsaw

Johnson has thrown plenty of deep balls. Now if just the receivers could catch them. Way to many dropped balls.

I am not really in love with Johnson either but I am waiting until the recievers wipe the butter off their hands before I totally judge Johnsons performance. Recievers dropping balls makes a QB look real bad real fast.

Also we have way to many penalites that are leaving us in 2nd and 15 and 3rd and 10-15. Its easy to play defense when you know they are going to be throwing a 10-20 yd pass every time.

Not a big Brad fan either, but would you rather have daunte back at the helm, I dont. We could be four and ohhhhh right now. Take away some dumb penalties way too many dropped passes, and a couple picks. I think we could go far with Brad if we start playing smart football. Hes not the most entertaining guy to watch but he can get it done..

Hes got the ring to prove it.

Okay Brad was off in the last game, but Williamson has worse hands than "Lobster Boy" Ismail! Like the guy ahead of me said, his wide outs are dropping way too many passes... and they are right in their hands! If you want to rip the Vikes, then rip the receivers and the guys taking all these untimely penalties.

I'm not going to knock Brad. He fits right into the new coaches scheme. Take the small stuff, dink and dunk kinda thing, almost lull a defense to sleep, borderline boring, then whamo kablamo here we go. The problem with that plan isn't Brad letten it fly it's the dude on the other end with the Land-O-Lakes rich and creamy whipped butter on the hands that can't catch a ball.

Brad isn't the kind of QB that can take a game on his shoulders and win it for ya, but he won't lose it for ya either. There are, of course, exceptions. Brads a smart QB, keep him in.

Quote:

Take the small stuff, dink and dunk kinda thing, almost lull a defense to sleep, borderline boring, then whamo kablamo here we go.

Let me know when we get to the Kablamo part.

Like I said, the dude on the other end needs to actually catch the ball for this particular plan to be effective.

So far I don't see that happenin.

If we all want to settle for mediocrity I guess Brad will be fine. I will take the PEP of two years ago with this offensive line. A healthy Pep any day. LAst year the Vikes o-line was one of the worst. Johnson got in at the right time. Things were starting to gel and the schedule was incredibly weak. JMO. I still think he stinks!

When Culpepper was throwing to these same recievers last year we laid into him and blamed all the failures on him. He was even behind a O-line that was terrible.

Johnson has a much much better O-line to work behind and a better running game and the same recievers but its the same results. Only this time all the blame goes to the recievers and not Johnson.

I guess there is no equity in fan criticism. It has been 2 years with little to no offense. We have had new QB's, new RB's and new coaches and still the same results. Maybe there is something else wrong.

Culpepper went from the best year a QB has ever had statistcally to not being able to score at all. I don't think it is becuase of lack of talent, you don't lose that talent over one off season.

What do you think the other reasons are for 2 years with no offense?

Will you guys ever be happy? Last year it was we want Johnson. Now you have Johnson and your already looking to get rid of him.

Just goes to show what a couple of losses will do for you. I thought Johnson was a pretty boring QB last year but since he went 7-2 nobody cared. I also don't think the Tampa fans cared about his lack of mobility or weak are when he led them to the Super Bowl.

The most popular guy on any team is usually the back up QB. If we put in Jackson and he made some mistakes the fans would rip the Vikes for even drafting the bum. Football fans (including myself) are a pretty irrational bunch.

For the record, I think Johnson gets a little more rope. He has really only had 1 bad game and he has played 3 of the better defenses in the NFL. I don't think it is his fault.

This is just an observation, but people keep calling for Jackson, not Bollinger or now Henson. Interesting.

Also, are there any other qb's anywhere else who could be better? I think the Colt's have #18 locked up and to me the rest of the current qb's are similar. There are a few who are better than others but not too many right now stand head and shoulders above the rest of the league.

Just my $.02.

DD

Johnson has only had one bad game? When has he had a good game? 2 touchdown passes in 4 games is horrendous. He is old and I would take any of the backups over him!

We don't have a backup worth starting. Jackson is out with an injury so i assume he hasn't been practicing. A rookie QB with no practice for over a month isn't a good option for sure.

Bollinger and Henson are not starters and never will be. We are stuck with Johnson.

How can some of you guys come on here and pick apart Johnson? There are problems with this offense, but its not Johnson's fault. For being so highly toted, the offensive line is well, offensive. McKinney and Johnson are not playing good this year. B.J is constantly getting pressured from the outside. The tipped ball for an INT is a great example of this. The running game blows, again, this falls on the line. Watch the line sometimes, quit watching the football, you will see what I'm talking about. I'm a line coach, it is horrendous.

Do you want Cpep back or what? We all see how great a year he is having. For a good laugh sometime, read the south Florida Sun-sentinal, he is just getting ripped down there, but they aren't quite ready to admit he was a mistake. He's still "recovering from his injury" . Some of his symptoms are fumbling, dancing in the pocket, throwing INTs, missing open recievers, and not reading the defenses. HMMMM sound familiar.

You say Brad stinks!! I sure would love to see what pepper would have done against the defenses we played so far. How about maybe eight to ten picks and a couple fumbles by now. We will see after this weekend, I bet Johnson will lite the lions up as long as the receivers hold the dang ball. Look how well we played chicago, really should have won. Now look what chicago did to the last year superbowl losers.

Anyway goooooooooooo vikessssssss

You guys are missing the point I said a healthy Pep. I would take him in a heartbeat lest not forget the numbers he put up in 04-05. I watch football to be entertained BJ is not entertaining.

I'd rather have a smart and non athletic qb (Johnson) over a not smart and athletic qb (pep) anyday.

Like I said, Johnson will not win the game but he won't lose it either.

As far as Jackson goes the coaching staff is doing the right thing and keeping him on the sideline holding a clipboard. He may be really super duper good but he needs to learn the big boy game first. What's the best way to ruin a good rookie prospect????? Put him in before he's ready.

In regards to BJ at Tampa Bay he rode the shirt tails of one of the best defenses ever. BJ will never take us to the promise land at this stage in his career. SO I say dump him and move on.

You keep mentioning you'd take a healthy Pep. Well I'd take a Montana in the prime of his career.. But guess what? Neither of them exist right now so wake up. You want to dump Johnson and move on?? Move on with who? Does Bollinger give you a lot more confidence than Johnson?

As others have said, the offensive woes fall to a lot of dropped passes and and offensive line that isn't executing. Johnson may not have the skills to overcome those things but there's probably not more than 2 QB in the league that could - and neither of them will be on the Vike's roster any time soon.

If you would refer to my previous post I said if you are happy with mediocrity stick with BJ. Evidently you all are that, is fine. I myself have been a Viking Fan for 30 years mediocrity was never accepted before maybe it is now. Enjoy your 8-8 no playoff season with BJ

But like the someone else said, who else on our roster or other available qb is going to give us a shot at a better than 8-8 record?

trade for Favre, he still has 2 years left in the tank as long as he has a line to protect him.

I'm all for that I would love to have the "Gunslinger" on our side!!!!1

Favre completes more passes to the other team then he does to his own recievers.

As long as we are talking about trades that will never happen why don't we go trade for Peyton Manning and then in the off season we'll bring in Eli to be his back up. Maybe we can even go get their dad to coach the recievers and we can get their mom to bake cookies for the entire team.

Now thats a winning strategy.

There you go stirring the pot again tcroz... grin.gif

I think the recievers need to step up! The runing game has been a disapointment the last couple of games also. I thought we would be able to run at will. I question the play calling at times too. Hmm where to stop?

Oh have you been out in the boat latley tcroz? I have been thinking of giving it one last time soon and then its hunting time.

After reading many of these post I realize that many of you so called Vikings fans are never happy nor do you see any of the positives. The Vikings have only played 4 games and already the grumbling started. Why do so many of you take it so personally when your team loses? How do you expect a team to reach greatness when it seems like the majority of fans are so negative. Of coarse you're all intitled to your opinion but use some common sense. I would love just for one season see the fans coach this team and after weeks of stupid changes and mindless complaining maybe then you would see it's NOT freakin easy to win in this league.

I think we're looking at this Johnson thing all wrong, from what I see, our new coach is about as competent as the head scratcher he replaced. Seems like he talked a big game of disapline and offensive knowledge. The last play of the previous two games were the stupidest pro calls I've seen. Youth coaches do better play calls and clock mangement at the end of games. confused.gif