• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trolling Line of choice?

Blackeagle

I am headed up to the pond tommorow and I am going to respool the line counters before heading up. What is your your superline brand of choice and what pound test / diamteter? I am using the precision trolling book to gage running depth.

Fireline in 10lb or 14lb (4 or 6lb diameter).

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

If your using the book to guage lure depth, be sure to get line in the diameter the charts are based upon. There is a big difference on the depth a lure runs on 4 lb diameter to 10 lb diameter.

I like 15# power pro for trolling cranks.. lots of bad experience with fire line(not starting debate, personal preference).

Mono still has its place for trolling too.. seem to lose less fish.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I like Power Pro in 30lb test, (8 lb diameter). But I also run some fireline in 20 lb test.

pp - 20 lb - seems to be the norm - i have one mono runner in the boat this weekend as well 8lb -

FWIW, last night my buddy was running Fireline 14/6 and I was running Spiderwire 20/6. He outfished me 3:1. I'm respooling with Fireline tomorrow.

I'd bet it was more the lure of choice or lure not running right or distance back from the boat. Also,it the line can make a difference in how deep your lure runs. For instance I've found my lures run about a 6"-1' shallower with stealth than they do with the same pound test of fireline.

We literally had the exact same lure - HJ14, same colors - and both running the exact same amount of line (we both had line counters). He did run deeper, though, as he would usually hit bottom faster than me.

The depth of the lure can make a huge difference. It's great to try different stuff wether it's line or lures and see how little changes can have big impacts on your nights out.

Agreed - subtle changes made big differences as we switched things up. It was a great learning experience for me since I'm still pretty much a crankin' novice.

Insp Gadget..

PP doesnt get all frayed like fireline, it doesnt snap on a hookup randomly like fireline, an it wont eat the eyes out of your rod like fireline can. It also has great knot strength and is much more knot friendly than fire line.. like I said, this isnt a line debate.. I have PP on many rods and it doesnt ever let me down, and it will last for years without replacement.

As for the other guys convinced the line had to do with their success.. thats pretty far fetched considering you were both using a superline. I am willing to bet your lure wasnt running properly. Just a hair off can really decrease the success. Not only can husky jerks(lure specified in earlier post) get running slightly to a side, but the eye can also get tweaked where it will run a hair higher or deeper. These fish beat up the lures bad, and retuning is very important. Every time your lure gets thrashed in the net with a fish attatched, or even if your beating the rock for a bit will throw it off. Just because the lure is running strait doesnt mean its running the same as it was, or as another plug of the same type. If your lure quits producing, change it.. even if to another of the exact same lure that is running right if you cant get it running properly.

thanks, I appreciate the advice. I haven't had knots of line snap on hookup personally, but have heard it happens. When mine frays out a bit, i always strip off the frayed part, and keep going. Next time I need to respool, I'll have to try some!

Almost all superlines will fray after time and excessive use. It is up to the angler to know when this happens and reverse the line or change it. I bought some Power Pro and tried it last year. I had good luck with it at first but I didn't like the sound of the line going through my guides. It is a braided line unlike Fireline. As far as fraying, the Power Pro I had only lasted one season of hard use. It started to look chalky and frayed and I could hardly tie a knot without it breaking. I also lost some lures casting when a backlash would occur. There are several other companies that make braids and superlines. It's all up to the angler to decide which one he wants to trust with a fish of a lifetime.

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

Thats odd your power pro got frayed. I have only dealt with fray in short lengths where I came in contact with a sharp snag.. we can expect that from any line, and I wouldnt frown upon any line for getting damaged pulling through sharp rocks, etc. The only thing any of us can do fishing those conditions is step up in line to account for the difficult structure. I have used fireline 4 separate times. The longest a spool last was a month, the other 3 lasted less than 2 weeks before becoming worthless... frayed, broke on knots, broke on hooksets from new at random no matter what the knot. One spool made grooves thetop 4 guides on one of my st croix rods(maybe croix skimped that week?).. either way, I have no confidence in fireline. I have had no issues with power pro that werent my own fault fishing the line that shouldnt have been used in the application.. like pulling a #9 shad rap in 8' of water with boulders and 2/10 PP.. your going to lose some lures to the rocks.

The *chalky* look is usually th dye coming off the line. It only sticks so long, and eventually the line will be grey.. dye doesnt stick to material its made from, so it eventually becomes the natural color of the material.

I run Power Pro 10# when I want to get my baits deeper without adding weights etc. and 20# on lake superior for trout and salmon.I used to run fireline but its flat and layed over itself too much. The power pro is round and casts better and doesnt seem to bind up in reels as easy.

Power Pro for me.