Thanks for the information! Whenever I'm moving, I use a ram mount to secure my bow mount. I just got the Ulterra this spring.
I had a Terova on my last boat. I was going across the lake in 3 footers and the locking mechanism failed and the motor deployed. Ever since then, I secure it for a piece of mind.
One of my trolling motor batteries decided to take a crap on me so it didn't have enough power to go into the wind so that made it tough...we tried a few drifts in areas that looked good for eyes, but didn't pan out....We went to a different spot and started catching nice sized gills on the rigs so we decided to just say screw walleyes and go for gills (I could tell the gf wasn't digging the 20mph wind in the face lol). So we went to a spot I've fished in the winter and ended up catching a 20,24"...We caught them not to long before we left right in the same area.... I've never fished it in the summer before so I wasn't expecting much...The look on my gfs face when she caught the 24 was priceless though so I was happy.
In no way am I trying to fire up a catch and release vs catch and grease fight. Admins, please delete any comments like that. I am curious about everyone's thoughts and knowledge on mercury in fish.
It seems Walleye are always the riskiest fish to eat via DNR and MDH surveys but I know the fishing for eyes is such a tradition up here. A lot of walleye are eaten in Minnesota every year as well as Pike and Bass which also can be high in mercury because they are high on the food chain. Does anyone worry about it or is this something that is overhyped? I'm a bit careful where I fish because my wife is pregant and I don't want her eating too much mercury. I'm still kinda new to the state so I trust the knowledge of locals more so than DNR in a lot of situations.
For example, in TN (where I moved from) our DNR says do not eat ANY fish from the Mississippi river. I'd say it's pretty nasty by the time it gets that far south but there are river rats as far down as Louisiana eating catfish and bass all year long and you don't hear of them dying from mercury poisoning or having other effects of it. At least not thay I've heard or read.
I'm very curious to know your opinions on the matter. I don't catch many walleye anyway but I do love eating Pike and other fish. It's so satisfying to work hard for a fresh meal but do I have to continue to be super cautious of what lakes I eat a Pike from? Seems like the closer to the metro, the more dangerous it can be...or is it? Some of the huge lakes up North are full of mercury too.
Well it end up being 2 broken live well pumps being broken. The pumps would pump water into the live wells but also be spraying water into the back compartment of the boat. That's where my water was coming from. I would like to thank those that replied suggestions back.