Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BLACKJACK

primetime49

10 posts in this topic

Drove by your CRP the other night, its looking pretty good!!! The switchgrass and big blue stem really took off!! Nothing like a good burn to get those native grasses going!!!

I understand why farmers plant their CRP in brome, they're familar with it and its easy, but a stand of native grasses has tons more wildlife potential!!

Blackjack,so it goes that grasses grew so tall this season that we have to mow rows so Pheasant hunters can get lanes to walk thru.A month ago towards center south of spruce grove the tops when still growing with seed were as tall as 9 to 10 feet.I can not remember any time in my life that this has happened.The forbes near lower areas were and are outstanding.Cant wait till next year to burn other side.Some of the 19 new potholes have water in them also.Weird and sad part is did the dove migration happen and I missed it???Been very busy,stalking a lot of Coyote at couple farms 2 miles south by Swenson Lake.Never seen so many,tonight the moon is huge so gave rights out to couple night stalkers with artillery for the kill.Have you seen many Coyote???We flew over farm when you mentioned the row patterns,it was really cool,wasnt bad just driving by either.Have finally had some tresspassers and limited theft but were gonna take care of that,like freind said ,just shoot them drag them into house ,open a beer ,and say they musta been breaking in.How foolish can someone be to rob a hunting farm,didnt they know we might be armed?Get ahold of me and lets look the neighborhood over.

I wouldn't mow rows, pheasants will get on those wheel tracks and run like banshees, the dog will follow, and guess who will be coming up a poor third!!! Leave the cover tall to draw them in! My theory has always been to create/find the best habitat possible, then its up to me to get them, whether its nibbling around the edges or go right down the middle and then let the posters get them.

Seen and heard a lot of coyotes, even shot one with my bow, tried to draw on another one. Its pretty eerie, sitting in your deer stand and a pack opens up less than 1/2 mile away. As I'm walking out in the dark, I keep telling myself that I'm the biggest, baddest creature in the woods!!

Blackjack,we got 3 mature otees thursday nite ,2 last nite.Freind sat there today and got 2 off alfalfa,18 to 25 inches tall .The dogs lay out on top of high spots waiting for prey and when they stick heads up he said they kept doing it and looking around like supper was coming to them.One he got today was the largest i have ever seen,no mange or any normal sick looking stuff on any so far.Several dozen Pheasants and couple doves got up when drove in to Swenson lake farm.Cant stop the lane mowing as we have always got half our birds off of it,Hope it doesnt screw up regrowth but I think that should be good.Drove by green today twice ,one boat trailer in parking lot,two boats on lake .One boat on Norway .none on Games.What do people do around here this time of year???Buddy said that after 29 years listening to coyotees he ran down the road the other nite to get home as he got eary feeling that he was being stalked,so can tell how it feels shooting them out of stand.

Prime... lots of ppl huntin ducks this time of year or following the hot walleye bite on >>> better e-mail me if ya wanna know I dont wanna start a convoy grin.gif

masher I am gonna have a lot of time to fish this next month.Going over to laqp tommrrow night to fish after dark.Usually go by twice on Sunday nites on way to races and back at Madison so being the dtive is habit will have to keep it up for some reason.Just got home from fall races and the moon is really glowing so guess gonna wake up a couple buddies and go ouy otee hunting again.We will be testing the waters of a clean tasting small lake this week afternoons and if its hot will invite you over for some fishing.

prime.sounds like a plan to me!! im headad to LQP now but i see the wind has already switched.. will report later!

Quote:

What do people do around here this time of year???

Duck hunt, bowhunt, finish up the honey do list and goto a movie with her to keep her happpy, do final mowing before snow flies, and now pheasant hunting@!!!! I told my wife I won't be sleeping in on the weekend until December!!! I know I shouldn't but I actually winterized and put my boat away this weekend. Too many other good things to do!!!!

BLACKJACK, Did you put a few fillets away until first ice? Or you could call a buddy to get some late season fishing in. The closest my boat comes to putting away for the season is being parked in the garage. Winter fishing(from the boat)at Redwing is as good and at times better than opener. The warm days confused.gif in Jan. or Feb. can be rather fun.

Quote:

Did you put a few fillets away until first ice?

No, I plan on eating pheasant and venison until first ice!!! smile.gif