Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nofishfisherman

fish lake

26 posts in this topic

Anyone been out lately? Has the bite picked up yet?

Yes and Yes.

I guess I need to see if the boss will let me have some time off. And I will have to see if the other boss will let me out of the house.

nothing happening... smirk.gif

This may sound crazy but eyes are still biting on Leeches on Fish so if ya hit it make sure you have some. They are hard to find in the Duluth area now. Worth their weight in gold. I just got some to Tim at Highbanks so try him 1st if he isnt out by then.

Yeah, we had some success w/ leeches too!! Maybe I should save some for ice fishing???

I am supposed to go fishing with my in laws/out laws Sunday at Fish Lake. He is hoping to target Crappies, are they biting?

Quote:

I am supposed to go fishing with my in laws/out laws Sunday at Fish Lake. He is hoping to target Crappies, are they biting?

yes

Care to share at least deep or shallow?

Deep most days but I have got them in 16' a few times. Seems like when Im lucky enough to find them in the shallower waters they are more willing to bite. When they are out in the deeper waters suspended they can be harder to trigger.

The eyes are in deeper water as well unless 6-8am or the golden hour. I wouldnt be afraid to try crawlers or cranks either. Water still above 52 degrees in areas. When we get to the 48-50 degree area they should start snappin.

Thats funny you said that. I used a crawler harness in 16-18 feet of water and still got fish. The crappies i caught were around 20 feet

Thanks guys. So there really isn't distinct pattern here.

There never really is on fish lake as far as the crappies go. Best to just get out and put your time in on the water and find out what works for you.

Remember how it was in the late 80s? There where a bunch of crappies then. But there were so many boats you could walk across them. The crappie fishing didn’t last long with all of that pressure.

Yes the crappies get hit hard on Fish lake every Fall. Thing is I fished it before the word got out years ago and there has always been a cycle of boom and bust populations there before the crowds. Upnorth, crappie bay is where you want to start out for crappies. Use you sounder and you'll notice a trench going along hi banks area. The crappies will be any where from shallow along the shore, suspended in the deeper water or on the outside of the trench. White 1/16th oz jigs with a white twister tail then tipped with a crappie minnow will work more times then not. It'll probably be crowded in there, move in slow and have at it. Like I said they could be right on shore but most times they're suspended over the deep water. I use a bobber stop up my line as a reference. Fan you casts out and experiment with depth till you get something going. Its going to be another warm day so if the crappies aren't going go hit the wind blown shores for eyes.

Thanks for the info guys. Always nice to get a few tips before heading out. I am fishing out of someone elses boat this weekend but I am sure he will listen to some tips and advice.

I here ya Capt. Blaine.

Once again, thanks for the great info ST!!

Fished for the slabs on Wed. Alot of boats and not alot of action. Was off H-banks and the channel tried to the moring bite-0 the afternoon bite-0 and the night bite-0. Had the camera down a saw slabs in 20-23fow but mixed in with the wood and sunies. Did manage a few later in the evening in the back bay 3-4fow mixed in with some nice bull sunnies.>>later the load

Boom cycle for sunnies on Fish lake thats for sure and some big bulls at that. When the moon and stars line up just right we'll see that again for the crappies. Next year, lets hope.

Load, good point, You don't have to be in crappie bay to get crappies. So while they might get hammered at one location, theres a lot of lake there that doesn't get any attention.

What a day Saturday was. Short sleeve weather all the way past sunset with a full moon lighting the sky. I'm interested how everyone did. I saw lots of boats on the road while I was headed to soccer finals. Today we play for first or second place.

Sunday we were out and tried Crappie Bay and it was just to windy to fish. Boat control was out of the question, and drifting was just too fast. We stopped at a point that was a little more protected on the way back and hit some Walleyes and Jumbo perch so the day was not a total loss.

Was on Fish today from about 1pm to dark. It was SLOW until the wind picked up then I got a eye and a couple perch. Moved on and stopped in Crappie Village and nothing. Hit the narrows and got 1 small eye. Later in the last hour of light I popped 5 eater eyes on slip bobbers and either leeches or minnows.

From what everyone is saying the crappie bite is EARLy and the last 1/2 hour of light and maybe a few minutes after.

Lots of people out after dark tossing lit slip bobbers.

Cold the next few days and a wedding this weekend so I wont be out until I hit Rainy River in a few weeks.

We were out at sun up for the Crappies, but it was just too miserable to fish with that wind. We tried for 1 1/2 hours but boat control was an issue and the operator was getting pretty frustrated and when fishing gets to be work it time to try something else or it just ain't fun anymore. During that time we seen like 4 other boats come out an give it a whirl and gave up shortly.

May head back down this weekend since they are renting a cabin for the week.

I was surprised that I caught Crappies in with Perch in 9-12'of water with rock/rubble very close to deep water on the west side.

I was out enjoying the evening on Sunday. We were in 9-12 feet and mangaged 2 big bull sunnies and a jumbo perch. All on a jig and a minnow from 4 to 7. Not very productive. The water temp was 44 degrees though