• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Im gonna sound dumb but...

JigginIsLife

Well when I was younger my dad went pheasant hunting all the time. now he is older and just got a new job, so he doesent go anymore. I wanna take it up but i dont have the space to have a dog, and my dad doesent want to take care of one, or train one for that matter. So the situation at hand is: I go to college 300 miles away from home and when i go home for breaks i wanna go but my friends nor I have a dog. so what are some good techniques for going without a dog, and maybe some good ideas on how to walk certain land layouts. Never have got a pheasant, but the drive is there and i love to just be out, but getting one would cap it off for me--PLEASE HELP ME OUT confused.gif

First off, you don't NEED a dog. They really help, but you don't need one.

When you're walking, take your time. A lot of guys will walk right by a bunch of birds cuz they are walking way too fast. It's not a race. Also, from time to time just stop and stand there. If there are birds around this makes em nervous and they try to fly off.

So, take your time and stop every now and then. If you have a younger brother make him walk through the real thick cattails. grin.gif

I would say boiler guy nailed it. Go slow and take your time!!! Cant stress that enough.

when you by your self try to work areas of land into the wind so they dont hear you coming a mile away. Also when working larger sections try to weave a little and work the area and push the birds to a smaller portion.

The odds are not in your favor but it can be done. Good luck and most of all have fun.

I wrote an article on hunting pheasants without a dog that was published. If you give me your email addy, I will send it to ya for only $199.99....ah, just kidding, I will send it for free.

Line fences, small ditches, and smaller cover will hold birds. Also if your hunting with others set up your drives to allow a poster at the end or exits of the field. We hunted pheasants for years without dogs and usually the poster would get most of the shooting.

As the others said, works slow and cover as much ground as possible.

You can usually gain a lot of access to private line fences and ditches, most people don't consider them to be "prime" hunting areas and will let you walk them.

These same tactics work well for grouse too. Slower is better and don't be surprised when they get up from your ankles. Ah, heck, you'll be surprised!

Bob

It's been pretty much covered above but to recap. Hunt hard in the first and last hours of legal shooting time. Hunt small cover (small cattail patches). Hunt thin linear cover (ditches and line fences). Use a blocker if possible. Stop frequently and wait up to a minute before starting again. Sometimes the stop and go technique works and sometimes it doesn't. Don't just walk in a straight line, do a zig-zag or other erratic walking pattern. Stay quiet while hunting. Make sure to work a likely spot or thick cover thoroughly. Hunt after a fresh snow fall so you can follow the bird tracks to the bird. This can be a very effective technique plus you'll learn a lot about a pheasant's predator (that's you) evasion tactics. Do some scouting to find areas with more birds. Knock on doors to get permission, the worst thing that can happen is they'll say no.

If you can get a dog by all means get one. They add to your pleasure in the field and will up your odds of finding birds.

Good luck,

gspman

If you're ever down this way gimme a holler. I'll take ya out. I don't have a dog that's worth a crap and I still have a good time. By the way, it's not the dogs fault that he isn't worth a crap in the field. At least he's good comedy relief at home.

Please send me what you wrote up address is at the bottom. and bioler guy where is avoca. never heard of it before.

Kelly Markham

18 1/2 Street S. Apt 2

Moorhead, MN. 56560

You've never heard of Avoca???? You've never heard of the major metropolis that is Avoca??? Where have you been, man?!?!?!? You live under a rock or something? Dude, you need to get out more. It's the hub of Murray county!!!

Ok, all BS aside, if you blink you'll miss it. It's on HWY 59 kinda right smack dab in between Worthington and Marshall.

Dude I've even driven through it a bunch of times and couldn't remeber where it was. smile.gif

This weeks Outdoor News has a 1 page write up about hunting with out a dog. Have not read it yet, but you might want to spend the $1.50 and get the issue and read it.

I read the Outdoor News Article it is worth the 1.50 or you can read it on-line.

Sifty

It's a good paper, you might want to get a subscription at some point. I did a few years ago and it has been an invaluable source of info for both hunting and fishing.

1. Road hunt

2. Hunt small stands of cattails, etc alongside harvested fields late in the year

3. Make some friends who have dogs and are willing to become your hunting buddies. What I love about bird hunting is the fun I have while in the blind or out driving around with my pals. A solo hunt is fun every now and then but try to convince me deer hunting has the same thing going for it as bird hunting--you can't.

SA

Quote:

1. Road hunt

2. Hunt small stands of cattails, etc alongside harvested fields late in the year

3. Make some friends who have dogs and are willing to become your hunting buddies. What I love about bird hunting is the fun I have while in the blind or out driving around with my pals. A solo hunt is fun every now and then but try to convince me deer hunting has the same thing going for it as bird hunting--you can't.

SA

I thought road hunting was illegal?

Boilerguy,

I know where Avoca...Aovoca...Avocoa...how do you spell it...is. Hey, I'll be down there this weekend with Magnus. I have no idea where we're going Saturday night, but either the Loon or wherever the local PF banquet is would be a safe bet. If you see Doug, ask where I am.

I hunted forever without a dog. Something I did that worked

for me is making sure I kicked into every decent piece of cover as I walked. If I saw a patch of brush or something that was a little thicker than the cover around it, I made sure I pushed through it. Another thing I would do is if I saw the grass ahead of me moving like a bird is moving through it I would run at it and make the bird jump. Good luck!

mm

I think the PF banquet is if Fulda Saturday night. During the day the Mrs and I will be at the FM get together at Madison Lake. That evening we'll be at the good ole Avoca pub. Drag Douggie outta the loon and stop on in.

If you're coming down for phesants, bring lots of shells cuz there's lots of birds out there. Still a good amount of crops in the field, but tons of birds. Last weekend while duck hunting, when the sun started coming up, all I heard was cackling roosters.

Boilerguy, me and a friend are heading west, were not 100% sure where yet and was wondering if you wanted to show us the ropes in your area? We both have dogs and would probably only be hunting in the morning. wink.gif

Buzz, when ya comming out??? The Mrs and I are fishing the Madison Lake get together on Saturday.

Other than that, the more the merrier I say. I think my e-mail is in my profile, drop me a line and I'll shoot ya my phone #.

I can honestly tell ya that if you're planning a trip I'd wait a little. There's still a ton of corn in the fields out here. Not saying there won't be good hunting but it will be better next weekend and the weeks following.

Good point on the corn... I was thinking Sunday morning as I'm duck hunting east metro on saturday. I'll have to talk to my friend and get his thoughts. I'll be in touch okay. wink.gif

Perfect. Hopefully I'll be hung over Sunday morning. Maybe I'll go duck hunting, maybe not. Either way, I'm going phesant hunting Sunday.

If you only have one shot at getting away then come on out, but I'd think serious about holding off a bit. It won't be bad this weekend but in the weeks to come it will be a LOT better.

I may hold off as it's going to be a hectic weekend as it is and a fairly late night Saturday at the Gopher hockey game. Maybe the week of october 28th will be better, I'll be in touch.

Closed circuit to Boilerguy,

Looking at heading west on Saturday morning... whatcha doing? We were planning on hitting some WMA's... really not much of a plan yet.

Mike

I'm on call this coming weekend but that don't mean I can't go shoot some birdies.

boilerguy_1 at yahoo (Contact Us Please)

Drop me a line dude.

Thanks guys for all the info and help this year apparently it helped I GOT MY FIRST BIRD!!!!!! a little help from you guys and some from my dad i finally got out there shot a nice looking bird. just wanted to proove that this forum really helps.