Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Yeti

Flowage etiquette..

4 posts in this topic

For duck opener, we went up into the flowage from Big Sandy to Aitkin lake. Everyone knows how narrow that flowage is. We're in a 14 foot boat. 2 guys, my dog, gear, plus towing a canoe full of decoys.

On the way back, we see another boat coming, so, like normal, courteous people, (unlike this other guy), we move over to one side and slow down. This (you can guess what word I want to use here), guy comes at us with about a 17 foot lund. Did not even hardly slow down. The wake nearly comes into our boat. And he keeps going and glares at us like we did something wrong. What the he** is wrong with some people out there.!!

I wanted to throw something at him. Get a clue people.

When the water level is low the bigger boats can not get back up on plane if they slow down to much in the flowage. Big Sandy is full of 17 to 18 foot 100 plus horse boats that love to fish Aitkin Lake in the fall. I am not saying it is right or wrong but yes when your passing a small 14’ boat with a canoe full of decoys a small wake is not going to fair very well.

Sorry to hear some Jack#*# nearly sank you, however, how was the hunting ? Any ducks or geese ?

Worst opener I have seen. Had a few flocks come over high. Heard a bit of shooting from the direction of the main part of Aitkin. Other than that. Pretty dead. Could not even get the geese to come down.