• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just looking for some advise, I recently bought some land in Duluth. I found a deer stand on my property, that was just put up. Its about 50 yards from my stand. I left the guy a letter telling him he is on privite property, and asked him to please move his stand. That was about three weeks ago. Its still there. I also have No trespassing signs up all over. So i was wondering if anyone else has had a situation like this,and what would be the next step.Do I contact the DNR? Take the stand down? Lets here some input. I also have not met or seen this person.

No real experience with something like this, but I think you have went beyond what you really need to do and since he has not responded I would take it down. It is your property not public land.

Cut the stand down and when he comes looking for it sell it back to him. I had a friend who did this and he never had a problem with trespassing again. Its crazy how fast the word gets out.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Could be that he hasn't been back to the stand since he put it up and you probably won't see him till opening day. You said you just bought the land. It could be someone thats hunted that land before it was posted and didn't see the signs. If you have neighbors it could be one of them. Call around and ask them.

I'd leave the stand up with the a sign that he can't miss seeing with your name and number stating hes trespassing on private property. Any reasonable person will take the stand(portable) with them and not return again. If he stays in the stand call the sheriff of CO.

if a portable i'd be taking it down and let him come find you to get it back. if it is a permanent maybe he just moved on and abandoned that one, or like was said maybe wont be back til opener, but not having a stand opener morning just might set the message clear to him.;

I would not cut down the stand. You don't know who it is and how they would respond to something like that. I'd leave a clear sign at the stand as stated previously. Allow this person to take it down during open season as they probably don't know they're doing anything wrong. If they cleary disregard your sign/letter, call the sheriff and let them handle it. Don't go walking out picking a fight with someone you don't know. Especially during gun season.

I would second what lindyman has to say. It's not worth getting into a you know what show with a guy you haven't met. Plus as mentioned, maybe he hasn't been back there yet and has no idea he's doing anything wrong. But if he does just ignore your signs, I would definitely get law enforcement involved. There's no excuse for stuff like that and not much could make me more angry than trespassers who have no regard for others or their property.

Well said Lindyman I am for that as well I would not want to be there if the other guy was pi.... During gun season. This could make for a bad day hunting. Good hunting and be safe smirk.gifcool.gif.

Remember what happened in Wisconsin last year (?). Leave a note and hope for the best.

Finns.

Quote:

if a portable i'd be taking it down and let him come find you to get it back. if it is a permanent maybe he just moved on and abandoned that one, or like was said maybe wont be back til opener, but not having a stand opener morning just might set the message clear to him.;

I would disregard this guys method of setting a clear message, and the others about cutting it down.

Like others have mentioned here if you just picked up the land the guy probably dosen't even know you have ownership of it.

Think of yourself in that guys shoes first, if he dosen't obey the postings then you should get the law involved. I think you did the right thing, and the smart thing.

If it is a portable and you take it down out of the tree like this other guy advised then it will probably anger this guy making him think someone stole it and you never know what he will do, he might decide to vandalize your stands, take them down ect.

Well i went back to see if the stand was gone yet, The stand was still there. But my note that i had left him was gone. Also the stand was facing a different direction??? My plan is to remove the stand this weekend. I think i have given him enough time, it does not appear that he has any Respect. Any other thoughts?

I say call the DNR and have them come with you and remove it. If you see anyone on your property call the authorities, dont confront them in person. If they come to your house call 911 and have them removed.

Sounds like this person doesnt care about it being YOUR property. You have given him/her enough time. Then they just went and moved the stand? your right on this one, no respect!

Sounds like you have provided enough time for the person to remove the stand and showed them that they are on private property by leaving a note of trespassing.

Contact your county sheriff office and see if they will issue a number on fill report. Some county offices will issue a sign saying "No Tresspassing"

Violaters will be Prosecuted

Sherriff no. ######

Also as stated contact the DNR in your area and explain to them that you have tried to resolve this on your own.

Hate to tell you, but sounds like your going to have major problems with who ever is in there right now, most sportsman would have taken down the stand and left and not returned by your note left at the tree. Don't try to take measures into your own hands with them. More than likely they are being dropped off by someone else if your not seeing another truck around meaning your involved with more than one person. DONT let them know where you live at either or you might find things show up broke or gone.

Just let the proper authorities take care of this.

I have had problems like this in the past and some people will not change there way of hunting.

Farmer

Ya this is a tough one! I am building on this land, and i am not always around. That makes this a very scary situation. Like you all are saying, you just dont know who your dealing with. I know he is no sportsman. Well at this point mabe i will just have to wait it out for a little while. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I would guess he is bow hunting and changed stand direction as to the deer travel patterns...I have had this problem on my property for years since I am rarely there. I find the pop cans, cigarette butts, candy wrappers etc...I'm sure it is someone that lives close and knows when you are there and not there. I would take the stand down immediately, then call the local authorities and tell them about the situation. You don't want him shooting your buck of a lifetime...

Cranken:

Good luck in trying to protect your property rights.

You mentioned you are building on the site, if your building a home there, at a future time this situation and ones to follow like this will go away. People that hunt illegally like this will eventually get tired of trying to sneak in your property all the time. And remember if they do get lucky in getting a deer, they have to some time try to drag it out of there without being seen which is hard to do. That is when they will more than likely be caught by the authorties that you have all ready contacted.

Once they pay a fine for poaching they will not show back up, believe me on this one.

Enjoy your new property that you have this fall!! cool.gif

Farmer

I say take the stand down and put it at the end of your drive saying for sale or free. Don't let it go for awhile, give it some time so maybe the owner will see it. A week ago Monday my wife a 4 year old were out walking on our property and heard a shot. She said it was close and turned around. I found a dead dear two days later that had a very small hole going in one side of it's neck and out the other, like .22 size. My property is posted. Did not stop this jerk and worse yet I have to think they had no intension of keeping this deer just shot it for the fun of it. Now I take the dog for walks with blaze orange on and the wife and kids do not go out and enjoy the walking trails I have spent two years on. That is your land, do as he did and make a stand. If you really think he has seen your note and still has not left take his stand and do with it as you please. I would very much doubt this person has any interest in meeting you and will not come looking for you. Will this stop him from hunting there? Hard to say, there must be a certain deer he wants in them woods. And do call the Dnr. Good luck.

Call the Sheriff. Take the stand down, give it to the Sheriff and post a note in a plastic bag tacked to the tree alerting the owner that they can pick up the stand at the local cop shop.

Now the sheriff has been alerted - the stand is down and in the proper hands - and if problems continue the Sheriff knows you are trying to handle things the right way. This is also telling your visitor that you aren't putting up with any shenanigans.

Just a thought... Your visitor may have been hunting that land for years, unmolested and bothering no one. Along comes some one he doesn't know, who tells him to get packing. It just may be that he honestly thinks you're trying to horn in on "his" turf, and really aren't the actual owner of the land. Why do I say this? Because I ran into a little situation a couple of years ago where a guy actually posted National Forest land, and was kicking guys off telling them they were trespassing. I did some research and discovered the actual ownership. Truth be told, that little trick isn't altogether unheard of.

cranken21, how did this play out? Did you run into the guy yet?

I can see how things like this can happen. For example I traveled off the trail bird hunting and ended up on a different trail that was all posted. Not knowing this until I got the exit of the trail onto the main rd. And at the end of this trail was a hunting shack that was a leased shack. I knew this because of the silver tag that is above every county leased hunting shacks door. So people are posting state land as private. This is against the law and if the proper people find out they will get there lease pulled. Not saying this is what you are doing. Just pointing out the fact that some people wreck the meaning of NO TRESPASING

This is a tough one to call. You definately dont want to end up in a confrontation, or gain an enemy at the same time. At the same time... you own the land, and have every right to say who is going to be hunting there.

If the guy hadnt been back I would have guessed he would have shown up opener, or around there. I would have left a *No Hunting without Permission* sign attatched to his stand with a contact name and number. Now the tables have been complicated because the sign has been taken that was left.

I guess what I would probably do is find this hunter at the entry point opening day before he is hunting and politely approach him then and try to work it out peacefully before the land is entered to hunt. From there I would get the authorities immediately involved if need be.

I would definately try to figure out a peaceful solution. Its not much fun having enemies around your hunting land and always feeling the need to have eyes in the back of your head. I had problems in the past with some locals on private land and they fealt they could do anything they wante in the area. Those people went as far a beating up a couple guys, and burning down someones garage and hunting shack. And they are also known for poaching(including our land), and tresspassing and causing damage.

The authorities know about the situation, but they cant convict anyone if nobody see's them doing the illegal activity.

My solution is I let a couple other people hunt the land that I know and trust. It helps keep an eye out when I am not there, and when I am there.

The other party took it as far to hang no tresspassing signs on our land(no contact info).. talk about arrogant.

If you have regular hunting partners, or know someone in the area, I recommend aproaching the person out of the woods and trying to resolve it peacefully. If they ignore your wishes, let the athorities deal with them.

On a good note!

Yesterday afternoon while I was a way we had a visitor stop at our house and talk with the misses. He came to apoligize that he had accidently entered our land while he was hunting and had not realized till he heard a click on a nearby tree. "Smile" the click was one of our trail cams. Knowing that we would see the picture he made the effort to come to us and apoligize.

Too bad they all can't be like that.

Some of these threads are like little soap operas for outdoorsmen. I can hardly wait to see what happens next.