Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
packman

night fishing on the croix

8 posts in this topic

does anyone night fish on the st.croix if so do u bobber fish or troll any info would be helpfull

I fish sturgeon at night sometimes. Bring a spotlight to ward off idiots in cabin cruisers.

im sorry i was wondering about fishing for walleyes

People have been known to trol the Kinni narrows at night and have also been "known" to catch a few haugs. Be sure you take all precautions and have an available spotlight on board for the occassional misguideded craft. They don't travel to much anymore this time of year but you always need to be vigilant. Night trolling can put you on some fish but always be ready to move for a wayward cruiser.

I would prefer to fish the predawn hours before the sun comes up and after any late year "captains" make the way down river.

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

I spent a good bit of last year trying to figure the night Walleye bite out on the Croix. It is not like fishing the pond or other bodies of water that are known for the night bite. Trolling is very mildly effective. It seems to work ok during full moon periods. The best method that I have found is to anchor in high performing areas and use a glow jig/minnow combo. Generally, high current is the best so you will be in the 1/4 - 3/8 oz range depending on water level.

You are likely to be visited by a few whiskered friends during your adventure as well. I am not crazy about any fish that does not have a white tip on the tail but the cats will fight you all the way in, for sure.

In the fall, you can also throw a noise making rap or a Glow minnow against the sandy or rocky banks. High current areas are best for this as well. The water is low this year so this technique will be less effective than a high water year (Like last fall.)

Good luck!

Very few anglers night fish the Croix, mainly because it's a 9:00 to afternoon fishery. At least for me that is fat smack in the the middle of the day it produces. If you want some peace and quiet and do what Walli1 does (which to me sounds nice) or sure go night fishing, but it's not needed to catch a stringer of walleye.

Turk Gierke

I have found that night fishing during the months of July, August, and September is the only way to catch big fish with any consistancy. You may be able to troll spinners in the depths for eaters but it is tough to find any size in the hot water. The evening gets you out of the traffic, and on top of the fish when they are most active. Sow's don't eat at noon in the summer. Try it if you have the patience to figure it out it is a great way to fish!

the only way I have gotten any at night is to fish SHALLOW. I'm talking throwing topwaters right at the rocks on shore, and there are plenty of places to find fish. The only key is you have to be silent as a church mouse....