Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Gunflint trail leaves and Fish report for 10/2-10/3

2 posts in this topic

Well I took a trip up to see fellow FMer Gunflint on the trail. Headed up on Mon morning and the colors were in post peak most of the way. A lot of leaves falling the more north I got. Still enough on trees to keep it colorfull but with the rain we got today the leaves wont last long up there.

Fishing was slow both days for us but with the weather and company being great Mon how could a guy not enjoy himself.

I also had the privelege of meeting another Fmer from Milwaukee area. Ken is his name and I believe he goes by Panhandle on FM. I spent this am with Ken and we BSed away the morning in his boat on a small lake he had done well on the day before. As usual though, when Northlander hits the trail either poor fishing, weather or both usually follows frown.gif and we only caught a few small eyes and a snakey northern. Ken it was a honor to fish with a guy who has the same passion for the eyes as I do. See ya next time up or next season. E-mail me if ya ever want to BS.

Mark, (Gunflint) I enjoyed the time in the boat with ya and getting up to that beautiful part of the state. Thanks for all the goodies and the warm roof. I hope to get up there again before snow flies.

For those who havent been up the Gunflint Trail in the Fall its a must do. We saw Moose, deer a fox and lots of birds. Like I said earlier the leaves alone are worth the trip but not for very long this year. Some very nice eating places and resorts for those who want to make it a weekend trip.

I highly suggest Bearskin Lodge on East Bearskin Lake. Mark makes sure everyone has what they need and keeps the guests as happy as any 1 man can. He isnt a bad guide/fisherman either. wink.gif

If anyone is interested in heading that way this month and camping out in the campground give me a holler I may be able to talk myself into another trip up the trail. grin.gif

I'm glad to hear that you had a good time. As you know I left you a message on your cell last week with a couple of days at the end of the month. Let me know if that time might work for you. It should be good and cold by then but hopefully not to bad. My camper has already been place at the cabin for Deer season. So not much hope for an overnighter at this point.

I'm heading out with Pout-slayer later this morning and I'll be heading out with LoonaSea tomorrow to Yellow lake. Give me a call when you get a chance and we can take a look at some dates.

Take care,

Tom (BD110)

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• dudewheresmyboat
      Once you find them you won't be disappointed i've caught more eaters than dinks!  Good Luck sir!
    • BrianF
      Cliff, the largest concentrations I've seen have been in Frazier.  On sonar, they look like big clouds that seem to go on and on.  We know they're spiny fleas because we bring them up on our gear when we fish through these big clouds.  I'll try to capture and post a sonar screen shot of them sometime. 
    • ZachD
      Man that is a tough situation I don't know what I would do. Maybe hold off on the mri and go like 6 weeks with strict rest and see how it goes. I would say too that I wouldn't hunt him at all this year regardless on if he seems to be better or not.
    • BRB
      Just wanted to see if any of you have experienced this with your hunting dogs. I have a 1 1/2 year old black lab who I’ve really been excited to hunt with this year but unfortunately that has been put on hold for the time being. When the problem occurred. Of course while I was on the road for work my wife called and told me that she was playing catch in the back yard throwing the ball maybe 20ft at max and our dog slipped and kind of rolled over himself (from what she said). After that she noticed that he was limping a little bit nothing to bad, but he didn’t want to play catch anymore. When I got home we took him to the vet who provided us with an anti inflammatory. And told us to rest him (leash only for 4 weeks). This was perfect timing because we were getting him fixed so the rest would be easy. The anti inflammatory and rest seemed like it was working at the end of the 4 weeks, my wife and I were heading out of town and we left our dog with my parents who also have a 4 year old black lab. I told my dad to take it easy with our dog due to the circumstances. When we went to pick our dog up we noticed he was limping again and I asked my dad how much activity did our dog get, he said that took his dog and our on a walk through taller grass looking for pheasants for no longer then a half a mile. So here we go again back to the vet and this time having an orthopedic surgeon look at him. They took x rays and nothing appeared to be abnormal. He recommended again 4 weeks leash only with an RX for anti inflammatory. So here we are now. It has been at the end of the 4 weeks again he seemed to be doing a little better until we had to bring him again to my parents and he was off leash for a little bit playing around with my parents older lab. And as soon as we got him back he was limping for a few days. I have told my dad servral to take it easy with our he is trying to heal. But he is the type where, ” hes a dog he will be fine in a few days. So after consulting with the vet again, they are referring us to the U of M vet clinic where we will be meeting with an orthopedic again. I kept asking our vet is this something serious enough to be needing surgery…… she didn’t think so. The guess was soft tissue damage, ie torn muscle or strained muscle. How long do these things take to heal. Basically what it comes down to is that I dont want to take him to the U of M bay $250 to meet with an orthopedic and do an MRI which is $1500 just to have them say he needs to rest more. If he has no activity for 3-4 days, the limp is barley noticeable.But anytime he is off the leash trotting around a little bit then he will limp the next day. When we work his shoulder it doesn’t seem to bother him or be an any type of pain. The first orthopedic said he got a little bit of a reaction on abduction rotation, but wasn’t to bad. Sorry for the long story but I’m getting really frustrated with the amount of money spent with basically not getting any answers.It is killing me not knowing what’s going on. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    • noska
      Outside of the multiple boats that fish horseshoe off the point, what are some other places to try for walleye this time of year?   Thanks in advance