Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Northlander

Gunflint trail leaves and Fish report for 10/2-10/3

2 posts in this topic

Well I took a trip up to see fellow FMer Gunflint on the trail. Headed up on Mon morning and the colors were in post peak most of the way. A lot of leaves falling the more north I got. Still enough on trees to keep it colorfull but with the rain we got today the leaves wont last long up there.

Fishing was slow both days for us but with the weather and company being great Mon how could a guy not enjoy himself.

I also had the privelege of meeting another Fmer from Milwaukee area. Ken is his name and I believe he goes by Panhandle on FM. I spent this am with Ken and we BSed away the morning in his boat on a small lake he had done well on the day before. As usual though, when Northlander hits the trail either poor fishing, weather or both usually follows frown.gif and we only caught a few small eyes and a snakey northern. Ken it was a honor to fish with a guy who has the same passion for the eyes as I do. See ya next time up or next season. E-mail me if ya ever want to BS.

Mark, (Gunflint) I enjoyed the time in the boat with ya and getting up to that beautiful part of the state. Thanks for all the goodies and the warm roof. I hope to get up there again before snow flies.

For those who havent been up the Gunflint Trail in the Fall its a must do. We saw Moose, deer a fox and lots of birds. Like I said earlier the leaves alone are worth the trip but not for very long this year. Some very nice eating places and resorts for those who want to make it a weekend trip.

I highly suggest Bearskin Lodge on East Bearskin Lake. Mark makes sure everyone has what they need and keeps the guests as happy as any 1 man can. He isnt a bad guide/fisherman either. wink.gif

If anyone is interested in heading that way this month and camping out in the campground give me a holler I may be able to talk myself into another trip up the trail. grin.gif

Northlander,

I'm glad to hear that you had a good time. As you know I left you a message on your cell last week with a couple of days at the end of the month. Let me know if that time might work for you. It should be good and cold by then but hopefully not to bad. My camper has already been place at the cabin for Deer season. So not much hope for an overnighter at this point.

I'm heading out with Pout-slayer later this morning and I'll be heading out with LoonaSea tomorrow to Yellow lake. Give me a call when you get a chance and we can take a look at some dates.

Take care,

Tom (BD110)

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• she's getting big

• delcecchi

Posted

Crescent and south switch have good burgers too, and I wouldn't have to drive so far. 

• monstermoose78

Posted

No internet in the field today. Had a group sky busting keeping birds out of anyone's range. Riverrat and I got buzzed by teal a few time and a pair of woodies scooted through. Should have had a shoveler and some woodies. The bugs were so bad I lost 4 pints of blood. 

Now to the fun parts Finn was jumping woodcock son the fields on our way out. Finn did good but does not like no action. After leaving the refuge I checked my dads pond. O yeah there was a woodie sitting on the log bang!! No finn needs to do his job.

IMG_0607.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

Finn did good he got it and brought it back to me!! Way to go Finn. 

• Lindy came along on our trip to Western MN for duck opener. The guys that came out Thursday to start scouting had a field lined up with alot of geese but they got busted off the roost early in a huge flock and didn't commit. We ended up with only 2 birds today.  She had to stay back in her crate during the hunt but got to play with a wing afterwards. 

IMG_20160924_110720925.jpg

IMG_20160924_104852333_HDR.jpg

1 person likes this
    • Cliff Wagenbach

Posted

Great burgers at the Black Bear Cafe just South of Tower at any time!

Great price on Thursdays (burger day at around $3.50)!

Cliff

• dairyman

Posted (edited)

what size screen does your new unit have----------------I have a 5 inch helix with side imaging and for me it worthless-------------------the screen is TOO small to see whats going on.  I wouldn't buy any unit that didn't have at least a 7 inch screen.  What unit is your new one??

Edited by dairyman
    • dairyman

Posted

I've got a powerdrive also...............my unit would run fine out of water,in water no way.  The prop would barely turn.  I ended up replacing the board the unit and it runs like champ now.  I had it to a dealer and they told me there was nothing wrong with it----------but ,they only bench tested it and did not do a tank test

• DRAGFOOT

Posted

Fished Thursday in 30 feet out of the gap and did very well. Couple of slots and a couple of dinks but mostly nice keeper size fish, had to quit early in the day because we had all our fish. Should only get better from here on out I would think. 

• RoosterMan

Posted

Feels like fall this morning!  I was yesterday morning with my son. We did some trolling and it was really good.  I think I might try to get the jigging rods out today and give that a go.  First headed to see the wolves with the kids.  

• monstermoose78

Posted

Wide awake!!! So excited I am for Finn's first duck opener!!! He is snoring like a chain saw.  I will post from the field

• ZachD
      she's getting big
    • delcecchi
      Crescent and south switch have good burgers too, and I wouldn't have to drive so far. 
    • monstermoose78
      No internet in the field today. Had a group sky busting keeping birds out of anyone's range. Riverrat and I got buzzed by teal a few time and a pair of woodies scooted through. Should have had a shoveler and some woodies. The bugs were so bad I lost 4 pints of blood.  Now to the fun parts Finn was jumping woodcock son the fields on our way out. Finn did good but does not like no action. After leaving the refuge I checked my dads pond. O yeah there was a woodie sitting on the log bang!! No finn needs to do his job. Finn did good he got it and brought it back to me!! Way to go Finn. 
    • MattL
      Lindy came along on our trip to Western MN for duck opener. The guys that came out Thursday to start scouting had a field lined up with alot of geese but they got busted off the roost early in a huge flock and didn't commit. We ended up with only 2 birds today.  She had to stay back in her crate during the hunt but got to play with a wing afterwards.     
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Great burgers at the Black Bear Cafe just South of Tower at any time! Great price on Thursdays (burger day at around $3.50)! Cliff