Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cheers

Robo Duck placement

10 posts in this topic

Any one have any ideas as to the best spot in a decoy setup to place a Robo duck ? What direction should it be pointing ? I would assume into the wind ?

Place it "in the pocket" where you want your ducks to land. This is the closest spot to the blind on the inside of the hook, between your two feeding groups, or whatever the case may be for how you have your dekes setup. And yes face it into the wind. Nine out of 10 puddlers, mainly mallards, will want to land exactly where the robo duck is.

Good Hunting Everybody, and CHEERS! grin.gif(sorry couldn't resist)

Just remember you CANNOT use a Robo-duck between the youth opener until Oct 7th. Also, you cannot use them period on WMA's during the whole season the way I understand it. If I'm wrong, somebody will correct me.

I do this on a hunt to hunt basis. I almost quit using them on the water completetly but when I do I normally stick one in the pocket as mentioned. In the fields I try to watch the birds and see what they do before I hunt. So far this year it seems like all the ducks I have hunted want to land behind everything so we have been putting the spinners 30yds or so in front and openeing a pocket between the spinners and the blinds. The times we didnt they wanted to hook in right behind us. In the past I have seen where they want to sit in front a ways so I guess try to watch birds when you scout.

if we're using a spinner we will put it in between two groups of dekes or if the dekes are in close we will put the roto right behind the dekes on the outskirts of the spread.

generally, I usually need to be convinced to use the roto because I have killed very few geese while having the roto in action.

one hunt in which the roto was very effective was extremely late in the season when the temp was below freezing. we made one big group of mallards clustered real close together and put a roto right in the middle of it. we had it basically sitting on the water and looking like a duck stretching out it's wings. Shot our limit of greenheads that morning!

SA/wdw

I interpreted the supplement to say that you cannot use a motorized decoy THROUGH oct 7, so the first day a person could use them would be sunday october 8. What do other ppl think?

That is how I read the regs too.

Do you think you can have too many robo's? Through friends family and time I have managed to get five of them and two wind ducks.

I wouldnt think that 5 is too many

I have used 3 before and it worked really good.

I would probably leave out the air lucky in areas where you can use robos.

I have another question about the regs. When it talks about WMA's it says something like waters completely contained in a WMA. The main one I hunt is 1/3 borded by WMA, and the rest in private land. I would think I would be ok using one there, even though I am hunting from the WMA corner. Would that be correct?

That is a good question. Someone should email a CO and find that answer out, because I have been wondering the same thing. Can you use it if you are on the WMA part, or just if you would be on the private part?

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Stick in Mud

Posted

We've done OK out there this year. Nothing special, but better for us than last year. 

Last time out, we found piles of fish in 60-70 feet. Caught a few, couldn't release them, and stopped fishing them.  Got a couple jig rapping shallower, got a few trolling, and got a few on spinners.  No one pattern got skunked, but nothing stood out, either.

• Stick in Mud

Posted

Sorry for the late response....I suspect not many folks are building skid houses these days. :)

Our houses have steel skids.  One had wood, but we changed them out. 

• if you ever need another shooter let me know I would be down to shoot with you

• FrazerBay

Posted

Like the food and like the menu. Like the fact there are places to eat on the lake and will continue to support them.

1 person likes this
    • delcecchi

Posted

Thanks, cigar guy.   Might check into it next year.  Or maybe not.   They always used to have some expensive entrees but we just ignored them.   

Even 12 for a burger is sort of high for the area, but the view is worth something.   Probably stay with the Crescent.   I don't see how there are enough tourists for the landing to make it. 

• jigginjim

Posted

I have put my guide clients on lots of pike this summer. So far largest bass is 21"- 5lbs  Pike 36" Approx. 8-9lbs, Walleye is 23 inches 3lbs. The walleyes will get better as the water cools. Time to start jigging, everything you got. I'm even started using my crankbaits.

• bassbouncer

Posted

I'm a local and yes we boycott the place. Friends have been told that they aren't wanted there that they only want the tourist business. Wife and I boat to Wolf Bay when we go out. We live 2 miles from the landing and wish it was still run by Jack.

• RoosterMan

Posted

Well I made a decision to put the trolling rods away and go do some jigging.   It seemed to be a good one.  I concentrated on rocky transition areas.  I had three slot fish in an hour.  Went back in for some VC pizza and picked my kids up and went back out for a evening trolling run and that produced as well.  You have to love this lake.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 people like this
    • CigarGuy

Posted

We have friends up and they wanted to take us out for dinner, via the boat.  With the wind, the only place was the landing, I tried vetoing It, but lost out.  Had $12.00 burger and fries.  Very good and the service was fast-only 8 others in the dinning area and a few at the bar.  I checked the prices on the wings-$16.00 for 1-1/2lbs.  Del, they had a pretty good burger menu.  I asked about the 20% off deal and the waiter blew me off and said he didn't know anything about it.  I asked who I should talk to, he said the manager or the owner.  We paid the bill and left without asking.  I liked it a few winters ago when they had ,25 wings and 2.00 beers.

• knoppers

Posted

seen enough grouse to keep me interested, lots of turkeys, seems they and the deer are everywhere this fall. did not here much shooting from the duck hunters though.

• Stick in Mud
      We've done OK out there this year. Nothing special, but better for us than last year.  Last time out, we found piles of fish in 60-70 feet. Caught a few, couldn't release them, and stopped fishing them.  Got a couple jig rapping shallower, got a few trolling, and got a few on spinners.  No one pattern got skunked, but nothing stood out, either.
    • Stick in Mud
      Sorry for the late response....I suspect not many folks are building skid houses these days. Our houses have steel skids.  One had wood, but we changed them out. 
    • ZachD
      if you ever need another shooter let me know I would be down to shoot with you
    • FrazerBay
      Like the food and like the menu. Like the fact there are places to eat on the lake and will continue to support them.
    • delcecchi
      Thanks, cigar guy.   Might check into it next year.  Or maybe not.   They always used to have some expensive entrees but we just ignored them.    Even 12 for a burger is sort of high for the area, but the view is worth something.   Probably stay with the Crescent.   I don't see how there are enough tourists for the landing to make it.