• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sorry to bother all you long-time users of the site. I'm new to MN -- from WI; don't hold it against me:) -- and I have a friend visiting this week from KY who has never caught a walleye or a pike. From what I gather, Gull Lake is definitely worth a try.

With that being said, I need a few bits of advice:

1. Where can I find reasonable lodging in the area?

2. Where would anyone recommend I start (not hotspots, but perhaps just general areas of the lake)?

3. What baitshop(s) is closest to the landing I'd use for that area?

4. And, finally, if Gull isn't "on" are there any other local lakes worthy of our time that you could recommend?

Sorry for being naive. I do appreciate your feedback.

Steve

St. Michael

SPTRIX,

The Days Inn in Nisswa would be a good place to start. That way you would be within a mile of both of the popular launches (371 and Zorbaz). There are two excellent baitshops very close. Sportland, which is right in Nisswa, and S&W Bait, which is on the way up on 371. I haven't been out in a little while but rumor has it that the fish are stating to hld on the steeper drop offs. Then again, it seems like there's always fish in the weedlines too! Find a spot with the wind blowing in and you should have some luck. Both Sportland and S&W will be able to help you out. I think the walleye fishing has cooled off a little bit but the northerns should still be ready and willing. I would personally start on the north end of the lake. The hot bait has been redtails on Lindy Rigs for about last two months, though I hear the jig bite is going well so you could probably get away with fatheads. If being naive was sopmething to apoologize for, I would spend my whole life apologizing (ha ha). Hope this helps and you really lay into them. Good luck (show that Kentucky fella what he's missing)!

I would also recomend the days inn. Or you can always stay right next to S&W, there is a hotel there too. As far as bait I would go to Gander Mtn. Way cheaper than the other places and you get more for your buck anyways. Goodluck to ya.

Hi Steve, Its best to ask questions. So feel free to ask away. I was raised in this business and I still have a lot to learn. Gull has been darn good lately. If you are looking for a hotel. The Days Inn is close to Gull, Baitshops, the Cafe, and convenience stores. You could also check with the Nisswa Chamber of Commerce for other recommendations. There are a couple of public boat landings in the Nisswa area. One is just off of Hwy 371 south of Hole in the Day, the other is in the channel area on the north end of the lake. Both are good. The north end landing is nice if the wind is blowing. It is nicely protected. Our baitshop is located at the intersection of Hwy 371 and County Rd 13, right next door to the Schaefer's Grocery store. The boat ramps are both very close to our shop. We can point you in the right direction if you want to stop in, plus there are many other lakes that are real close by. Other lakes worth trying for walleyes are Pelican, and North Long Lake. Have a great trip.

Jason Erlandson