• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Jig size?

What size jigs are being used on the river right now? with the current down I was wondering if smaller jigs would be the ticket, Will be up this weekend and just wondering what size I need to bring.

Thanks!

Bring the whole arsenal of jigs. As a general rule, use as light a jig as you can keep vertical. Keeping it vertical seems to be the key. You can also get away with using lighter jigs if you slip the current in the river, which is my favorite technique and usually works well. wink.gif

I always have jigs in the 1/4th oz. to 1 oz. with me. As for colors I like white, gold,silver, orange, chart, pink and at times blue. The glow white northland jigs with red eyes seem to be on my line quite often. Gold is always a good color up there.

Dont be afraid to try some plastics. Paddle tails, power shiners and even ring worms will all catch you fish. White twister tails and double twisters have been very good too. Either slip drift or anchor up on a break or bend. Also trolling cranks can be good at times as well but when you find a spot that you get fish in regularly stop and drift or anchor on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Adding rattle collars to a light jig can give it that just enough weight to not have to upsize plus the sound can really be a factor, I've had days when a rattle collar was domating. I've been wanting to try plastics but just cant seem to break away from jiging. Also a foam walker with a 14" snell an a tiny spinner can be deadly. I really like to sit upstream of a small depression an anchor all day an let the pods of fish come to me. If I move i feel I'm missing potential fish. But sometimes ya have no choice either. Later boar