Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SCUMFROG

Climbers.

25 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about getting a climber this year. I'm new to deer hunting and don't know much about climbers. What should I look for??

When buying a climber you're usually looking for mobility, so definately buy an aluminum one. They usually weigh around 20 lbs compared to their steel counterparts which are about 35-40. Your back will thank you. Also I see comfort as being a big issue, I like to have something I could sit in all day long if I so choose. Also some climbers won't grip well to smooth barked trees. In my opinion you can't go wrong with a Summit. I bought a Summit razor and absolutely love it.

Without a doubt I believe Summit also to be the best climber money can buy. I Also have the Razor X-5 I believe it is, Very easy to ascend and descend, quite and most important comfartable. I used it all last season in northern MN for 12 days without ever felling abit uncomfartable. Light weight aluminum is by far easier to manuver up 20 feet in a tree than steel. Huge weight difference in the 2.

Ditto on the Summit...best bang for you any bucks. I am 240 and works for me...I feel bad for the stand...but it works for me.

I did a lot of research before I bought mine. I have two Summit's a Viper and a Goliath. Great stands very solid and very safe! grin.gif

Fishermn, which of the two do you like better. Is the larger size if the goliath necessary or worth having?

I went and looked at some last night at gander and the sportsmen's warehouse. The prices are the same but I really couldn't get a good look at them case they were up on a post. Why can't they put them lower so you can at least sit on them and try them out. I'm the kind of person that likes to try things out before I fork out money like that. Come on you don't buy a car with out driving it right? Heck I tried out my wife for 2 years before I married her. grin.gif

I have to agree with you, you would also think they would have the safety straps and climbers along with practice trees to try this stuff out on. They are all preaching safety but hands on demonstration when buying and shopping for this stuff is where it should begin, IMO

I agree. It would be nice to try a stand before you buy it. The reason they don't is insurance. If somebody went halfway up the tree and then fell, the store could be held liable. Some places won't even sell their display stands for that reason. They think if somebody used it and fell, they could sue the store for assembling it wrong.

Thats why you always get a free strap or harness with every new stand is the liabillity factor.I talked with a rep from one of the companies and he said the insurance costs are a huge part of the price of stands.

I use the Goliath and my son uses the Viper. I am not a small guy by any means and the viper fit me pretty well. I like the bigger goliath especially later in the season with the much thicker clothing... My son is about 6-'3" & 230. The Viper is perfect for him.

Scumfrog, let me know if ya wann give one a try, if ya have a spot to try it, I can show ya the one I have.

Thanks for the offer fishermn, but your in Duluth and I'm in West St. Paul.

Why can't the stores just have short trees to climb, like 6 feet high. Tall enough to use the climber but not high enough to get hurt.

I have seen a lot of the viper ss climbers I'm thinking thats because they must be good. I did sit in a net seat, didn't like that at all. It pinched the back of my legs and I would think after a half hour in that your legs would fall asleep.

I did also see at gander a cheap one I just can't remember who makes it. It was $120.00

Actually, I am in St. Paul all the time for work. Will be there on tuesday this next week. Let me know if ya want I usually have my stand in the back seat of the truck!

Liability. And the likellihood that eventually someone would do something stupid... In a world full of ppl that are lawsuit crazy nobody is willing to do anything exceptional...

What part of st paul? maybe i'll meet you some where.

Summit does make a nice stand but I found that the North starr stands are a little nicer, and they fold down to about 8" thick for caring in and out of the woods but that feature is alot nicer for traveling in your car or truck they don't take up very much room. They actually have spikes mounted to them for grip on those smooth trees. The cost is right around $200

I agree, but you would think if you can have a rock climbing wall you could have a supervised place to try out stands, IMO. I would like to see that since I am a big guy and would like to get a climber, but with not knowing the safety features and restrictions of actually using them, I hunt on the ground mostly.

Scumfrog, I think the cheap one you're talking about is made by Ameristep and it's a steel climber. It'll work fine for you if you don't plan on carrying it far but the steel climbers weigh between 35-40 lbs where as aluminum is usually 20 lbs.

Anyone ever use the treelounge treestand? if so how do u like them?

Scumfrog, I will be working in the energy park area, and staying up at the Holiday Inn in Arden Hills. Shoot me an email at dsmaki at yahoo and we can talk more.

fishermn, Can't do it. The head lights in my van wont come on so i have to take it in tomorrow and get it fixed. And the wife says I need to wait until next year to get any more stuff, just in case I don't like deer hunting. (It's my frist time.)

Not like deer hunting? I didn't think that was possible!!! smile.gif

Yeah, once ya see that first deer you will be HOOKED... Are ya planning to hunt archery or rifle/muzzleloader?

Not a problem, let me know anytime, if ya want to take a look or test one. Liek I said, I am in St. Paul pretty often, and if its fall the stand is probably in the back seat of the truck smile.gif

I'll be using a slug. (i hope crazy.gif )

The wife seems to think I have a soft hart for animals,

(I do) so she thinks I wont be able to put one down. I know there are way to many of them out there and I just keep thinking of them getting hit by a car and running off into the woods to suffer and die slowly. Or killing some one in the car when they get hit. So I'm hoping to take one fast and drop it right where it stands.

it's like fishing, once you start I don't know if you can stop

Yep, I have a soft spot for animals too... Its in my stomach grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

But seriously, I agree there is nothing worse than seeing an animal suffer. Keep that thought in mind when you are all excited and ready to squeeze off that shot. Make sure you can execute the shot perfectly so the harvest is clean and quick.

BigWades. I too am a firm believer in PETA grin.gif