Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
SCUMFROG

Climbers.

SCUMFROG    0
SCUMFROG

I'm thinking about getting a climber this year. I'm new to deer hunting and don't know much about climbers. What should I look for??

DooWap    0
DooWap

When buying a climber you're usually looking for mobility, so definately buy an aluminum one. They usually weigh around 20 lbs compared to their steel counterparts which are about 35-40. Your back will thank you. Also I see comfort as being a big issue, I like to have something I could sit in all day long if I so choose. Also some climbers won't grip well to smooth barked trees. In my opinion you can't go wrong with a Summit. I bought a Summit razor and absolutely love it.

BendnSend    0
BendnSend

Without a doubt I believe Summit also to be the best climber money can buy. I Also have the Razor X-5 I believe it is, Very easy to ascend and descend, quite and most important comfartable. I used it all last season in northern MN for 12 days without ever felling abit uncomfartable. Light weight aluminum is by far easier to manuver up 20 feet in a tree than steel. Huge weight difference in the 2.

MinnesotaMuskie    0
MinnesotaMuskie

Ditto on the Summit...best bang for you any bucks. I am 240 and works for me...I feel bad for the stand...but it works for me.

fishermn    0
fishermn

I did a lot of research before I bought mine. I have two Summit's a Viper and a Goliath. Great stands very solid and very safe! grin.gif

Nova    0
Nova

Fishermn, which of the two do you like better. Is the larger size if the goliath necessary or worth having?

SCUMFROG    0
SCUMFROG

I went and looked at some last night at gander and the sportsmen's warehouse. The prices are the same but I really couldn't get a good look at them case they were up on a post. Why can't they put them lower so you can at least sit on them and try them out. I'm the kind of person that likes to try things out before I fork out money like that. Come on you don't buy a car with out driving it right? Heck I tried out my wife for 2 years before I married her. grin.gif

BigWadeS    0
BigWadeS

I have to agree with you, you would also think they would have the safety straps and climbers along with practice trees to try this stuff out on. They are all preaching safety but hands on demonstration when buying and shopping for this stuff is where it should begin, IMO

FarByondDrivn    0
FarByondDrivn

I agree. It would be nice to try a stand before you buy it. The reason they don't is insurance. If somebody went halfway up the tree and then fell, the store could be held liable. Some places won't even sell their display stands for that reason. They think if somebody used it and fell, they could sue the store for assembling it wrong.

harvey lee    13
harvey lee

Thats why you always get a free strap or harness with every new stand is the liabillity factor.I talked with a rep from one of the companies and he said the insurance costs are a huge part of the price of stands.

fishermn    0
fishermn

I use the Goliath and my son uses the Viper. I am not a small guy by any means and the viper fit me pretty well. I like the bigger goliath especially later in the season with the much thicker clothing... My son is about 6-'3" & 230. The Viper is perfect for him.

Scumfrog, let me know if ya wann give one a try, if ya have a spot to try it, I can show ya the one I have.

SCUMFROG    0
SCUMFROG

Thanks for the offer fishermn, but your in Duluth and I'm in West St. Paul.

Why can't the stores just have short trees to climb, like 6 feet high. Tall enough to use the climber but not high enough to get hurt.

I have seen a lot of the viper ss climbers I'm thinking thats because they must be good. I did sit in a net seat, didn't like that at all. It pinched the back of my legs and I would think after a half hour in that your legs would fall asleep.

I did also see at gander a cheap one I just can't remember who makes it. It was $120.00

fishermn    0
fishermn

Actually, I am in St. Paul all the time for work. Will be there on tuesday this next week. Let me know if ya want I usually have my stand in the back seat of the truck!

Liability. And the likellihood that eventually someone would do something stupid... In a world full of ppl that are lawsuit crazy nobody is willing to do anything exceptional...

SCUMFROG    0
SCUMFROG

What part of st paul? maybe i'll meet you some where.

rippinlips    0
rippinlips

Summit does make a nice stand but I found that the North starr stands are a little nicer, and they fold down to about 8" thick for caring in and out of the woods but that feature is alot nicer for traveling in your car or truck they don't take up very much room. They actually have spikes mounted to them for grip on those smooth trees. The cost is right around $200

BigWadeS    0
BigWadeS

I agree, but you would think if you can have a rock climbing wall you could have a supervised place to try out stands, IMO. I would like to see that since I am a big guy and would like to get a climber, but with not knowing the safety features and restrictions of actually using them, I hunt on the ground mostly.

DooWap    0
DooWap

Scumfrog, I think the cheap one you're talking about is made by Ameristep and it's a steel climber. It'll work fine for you if you don't plan on carrying it far but the steel climbers weigh between 35-40 lbs where as aluminum is usually 20 lbs.

troutmaster    0
troutmaster

Anyone ever use the treelounge treestand? if so how do u like them?

fishermn    0
fishermn

Scumfrog, I will be working in the energy park area, and staying up at the Holiday Inn in Arden Hills. Shoot me an email at dsmaki at yahoo and we can talk more.

SCUMFROG    0
SCUMFROG

fishermn, Can't do it. The head lights in my van wont come on so i have to take it in tomorrow and get it fixed. And the wife says I need to wait until next year to get any more stuff, just in case I don't like deer hunting. (It's my frist time.)

DooWap    0
DooWap

Not like deer hunting? I didn't think that was possible!!! smile.gif

fishermn    0
fishermn

Yeah, once ya see that first deer you will be HOOKED... Are ya planning to hunt archery or rifle/muzzleloader?

Not a problem, let me know anytime, if ya want to take a look or test one. Liek I said, I am in St. Paul pretty often, and if its fall the stand is probably in the back seat of the truck smile.gif

SCUMFROG    0
SCUMFROG

I'll be using a slug. (i hope crazy.gif )

The wife seems to think I have a soft hart for animals,

(I do) so she thinks I wont be able to put one down. I know there are way to many of them out there and I just keep thinking of them getting hit by a car and running off into the woods to suffer and die slowly. Or killing some one in the car when they get hit. So I'm hoping to take one fast and drop it right where it stands.

BigWadeS    0
BigWadeS

it's like fishing, once you start I don't know if you can stop

fishermn    0
fishermn

Yep, I have a soft spot for animals too... Its in my stomach grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

But seriously, I agree there is nothing worse than seeing an animal suffer. Keep that thought in mind when you are all excited and ready to squeeze off that shot. Make sure you can execute the shot perfectly so the harvest is clean and quick.

BigWades. I too am a firm believer in PETA grin.gif