Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hockey Guy

Any advice?

3 posts in this topic

I’m heading up Friday AM to fish for 3 days. I plan on camping somewhere on the West end of Namakan. I would like to get into some large Northerns, Smallies, and Walleye. Does anyone have any suggestion as to where I should be looking? I have never been up there this late in the year so I’m not sure what the patterns are for fall. Should the Walleyes be on sharp breaks or points and reefs? What about Northerns? Are the big girls in the shallow bays yet or still in the deeper water? Thanks in advance for any help.

Read my Sand Point report, it won't be largely different.

I just got back. WOW are there spots in that area. Boats tend to congregate on weekends, and off the mouths of the bays in 20-35 feet of water. Jigs and minnows for eyes, and the occasional gator will hammer you if you're not careful. Saw many casting in the shallower bays with 1/2 their suitcase on the end of their line... assume they are looking for toothy gators. Good luck.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Cliff Wagenbach
      CigarGuy, We did not venture out very far from the Landing, walking distance only! The ice had about 3" or 4" of soup on top everywhere. We fished in 12' to 14' depth on the first drop off. The kids iced a bunch of small perch jigging with small jigs and wax worms and missed a couple of pike on tip-ups. Fun day for all of us! Cliff
    • Horseshoe_Don
      Ice is very black and honeycombed.   I would say its only safe for walking but if we get a lot of snow it may not be safe period.   I have open water pockets in the ice by my shore.   Open water is not far from becker and the river is opening up north of the access.   Don
    • Fishalittle
      Were you renting from the road operator or a guide using someone else's road? I have heard of having to pay the road pass if the outfitter you work with doesn't have their own road. Cookie mentions it in his updates quite often, since he uses/helps with Hillman's road.
    • Chill62
      Thanks.  We sadly have caught bigger but didn't get them on video.  Average size this trip was around that 18.5-19" mark.  We got really excited because a few of them were 21" and the state record is only 20.5 or 20.75" but the state record had a girth of 6+ inches!  that fish had to be THICK!  Was a ton of fun and I can't wait to get them from the smoker on Friday!
    • Big Kype
      http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/education_safety/safety/boatwater/lakesup_boatingguide.pdf