• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

LInecounter reels

markkstanley

Have you ever cast a linecounter? For those wishing to learn this rare and somewhat dubious technique contact Joel Nelson.

Cast a linecounter reel? Why would someone do such a crazy thing?

Quote:

Cast a linecounter reel? Why would someone do such a crazy thing?

Measurements for competitive casting tournaments? grin.gif

Steve,

I'm with you.......Why?????? "In his words, he got his lure back there faster laugh.gif"

In all fairness I have to mention Joel caught his personal bests for muskie and walleye and beat both Paul and I for big fish. Things that make you go Hmmmm. Also makes a huge racket when you forget to release the clicker grin.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Joel beat both of you?

I'd be careful of telling that to too many peple. wink.gif

Quote:

Also makes a huge racket when you forget to release the clicker
grin.gif

I bet grin.gif

No, I don't think I'd be using a linecounter for casting anytime soon, but if Joel has luck with it then by all means wink.gif

Didn't use it to cast shorelines or anything, just casted to the side a bit to get line out more quickly. Like I told Paul, if it's hard on the reel, I see a good reason not to. Otherwise, why not get back behind the boat more quickly?

Northlander - You should give it a try....might help replace walleye in avatar with a bigger one smile.gif

Joel

Jnelson I know what you were doing but Im in no hurry getting lines out. Not worth the time to take out a rats nest. Im terrible at casting baitcasters. I dont fish bass or skis so I have no need for them except bottom bouncing.

As far as catching a 33"er Im going to try my hardest on Rainy River this fall.

Steve:

Maybe I was just lucky having only one small one all night. I've thumbed my share of baitcasters trying to wing soft plastics that are too light for the pool cues I use for bass in heavy cover. Might just be testament to the high quality gear Paul let me borrow smile.gif

33 is so big it's almost a myth! I'm no walleye-guy, but 27" on Monday night seemed huge to me.

Joel

Ya a 33"er would be the highlight of my walleye career for sure. Im lucky enough to have a 32" and a 31.5" but 33" may take me a while.

I need to fish some bigger eye waters if Im going to do it.

Getting back to linecounters... tongue.gif I would love to see someone make a low profile linecounter with a flipping switch. Casting definately gets the bait out quicker which can account for more fish during a hot bite. The flipping switch would help let line out without having to engage the spool every time one wants to make a minor adjustment. Also more of a one handed operation. This would be great on those cold nights.

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

I dont think the post was ever actually about linecounters Corey. I think it was a joke more than anything. But I could be wrong. Although that would be a 1st. crazy.gif

A line counter that casts is a ways away. I really dont see a use for it. The linecounter would have a heck of a time measuring line burning off of it at that pace. Now a low profile counter would be nice. I think they are too big and bulky and could be downsized a bit.

Castable linecounters have been around for a while now. Abu Garcia used to make a Digital Linecounter that went on some of their reels. I have one and it gets the bait out quick. Now they went away from the digital style and made a couple different reels. I just bought a Abu Garcia 5500LC, I think the other one is just a bit bigger and is the 5600LC. Both reels are castable and accurate. I love that feature and they could only make it better by making the reel with a thumb bar and a flipping switch. Either way it is an awesome reel.

Welcome to the 21st Century Northlander grin.gif,

Corey Bechtold

That explains it Im not a Abu fan. If I used more baitcasters I probably would be I guess. Ill stick with my Diawa Sealines. Me and baitcasters just dont get along. The only thing I use them for is bottom bouncing. That doesnt demand any casting. One day I will get in the times and start casting a baitcaster more. Maybe for casting for eyes with cranks etc? Thanks for the info Corey. Hey did you think the detatchable line counetr was accurate? I always heard bad things about them.

I haven't had any problems with mine. They can be set for different line diameters to increase accuracy. It doesn't matter anyway, they discontinued them and went to the new Abu Garcia 5500LC/5600LC Line Counters.

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I'm not picky. I'd use a line counter reel if it met the criteria Cory mentioned plus a good smooth drag system.

Right now I use a baitcaster with a bobber stop set at 100 ft for reference.

• 2 weeks later...

NEVER HERD ANYONE USING A LINE COUNTER FOR CASTING, INTERESTING, I FISH THE GREAT LAKES CONTINUALLY AND ONLY USE LINE COUNTERS FOR EQUAL PRESENTATION FOR DEPTH ON MY SPREADS, I USE THEM FOR TROLLING FOR WALLEYES WITH A LIGHT BRAIDED LINE FOR DEPTH DISTANCE IN THE RIVER SYSTEMS.

I DON'T CLAIM TO KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT LINE COUNTERS BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW THE HECK YOU WOULD CAST IT AND HOW WOULD YOU REGULATE THE DISTANCE confused.gif

Using the Abu Garcia 5500LC the distance is still recorded when you cast. I made a mistake about the larger Abu Garcia Line Counter, it is a 6500. I love my 5500LC and really like getting my baits out quick. laugh.gif

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold