• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Newbie, I'm sure sound dumb

Sandmannd

I'm almost 36 and have never hunted. I've always wanted to go bird hunting and have just never got around to it. Should I take a hunter safety course? Will I be the oldest clown showing up for this class? Where would I look to find someone to go out hunting with and show me the ropes? Just curious if I should pursue it. I've lived in MN for a few years, but don't know anyone that hunts and will take me out.

1) Yes, take the course. There are adult classes for this out there if you look, otherwise go with a niece or nephew and I won't look so different. Not to mention at 36, you have to have the Hunters Safety to buy a license.

2) This forum is a great place to muster up a hunting partner. Lots of good people and lots of great advice. Also join a gun club, lots of opprotunity there too. If you live near little falls you can come with me but I don't do a lot of bird hunting. If you want to try deer hunting with archary, rifle, or muzzel loading give me a call.

3) Definatly persue it. Even if you wind up not liking it you can at least say you tried. Then go fishing instead.

Another help for you would be to take a Hunter education course through the Mn. DNR.You can go to thier web page and find the time and dates.Lots of good info there for the species you plan on hunting.

Ed,very good advice.

Actually you dont need a hunter safety course to buy a license at 36. But you should. My classes have typically 10-25% adults. I encourage parents to take the class with their kids. I always split them up (some parents tend to dominate their kids). So I dont think you will feel funny.

Another idea or two....subscribe to Outdoor News. they have a lot of good info on hunting in MN. Attend a Pheasants Forever or Minn Deer Hunters Assoc. banquet. Lotsa hunters there.

Hunting is something you will fall in love with. You can share the experiences with others and that makes it even better. Get involved!

First, don't feel dumb being a newb, we all start somewhere! You will find a bunch of real helpful folks on this site who'll share decades worth of experience and knowledge just for asking!

It would be great to take the firearms safety course, and I would also check into the adult hunter education courses and see if they still offer them. If nothing else you'll learn a lot and meet some people who are interested in hunting too.

GOOD LUCK, BE SAFE and HAVE FUN!

Quote:

Actually you dont need a hunter safety course to buy a license at 36. But you should.

My mistake, Born after Jan 1979 needs to have Safety Training.

You can go here and do what is call independant study:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/firearms_isa/index.html

Also a lot of states require safety training for nonresident hunters.

Actually born after 12/31/79 you need your card.....1/1/80 you need the card.

Let us know where you live. Obviously some people are gonna have some reservations about shooting with someone they don't know, but you'll want to do a little practicing at a trap range. I would want to get a feel for how you handlew your gun. Maybe we could do a game farm or something to get the feel in an environment where you are a bit more likely to be successful.

I called the DNR not even 1 hour ago, and he stated specifically Jan 1979, twice.

Is it in the rule book some where, I want to make sure I am giving out the correct info.

It says on page 20 of the hunting book "anyone born on or after january 1, 1980 must have a fireams saftey certificate". It does not mention 1979 anywhere.

From the DNR web site regs page 20

Important! Youth must meet all license and certificate requirement. See the chart on page 38. In addition, anyone born on or after January 1, 1980 must have a Firearms Safter Certificate (or equivalent), a previous hunting license with a valid firearms saftey indicator or other evidence of successfully completing a hunter saftey course to obtain a license to take wild animals with firearms in Minnesota.

Have a good one and N Joy the hunt././Jimbo

Looks like jbell beat me to it. Oh well....

I wasn't trying to be a stickler or anything. Not that it applys to this guy anyway. I can say so only because I was born 12/25/79 and I beat the cut-off by 6 days. Doesn't matter though cause I took the class before that law was made.

Usually when you talk to someone they say "if you were born after 1979......". Well I'm sure the question answerer at the DNR had that on the brain and said Jan 79. Its an honest mistake. Not like they get real law people answering questions down there anyway. You're lucky you got an answer that was that close.

I think it would actually be best to take the course. Can't ever get too much information, especially when it comes to handling guns. I live in St. Paul. Thanks for the advice so far.

If interested in going bird hunting i would be more than happy to take you! either waterfoul or pheasant. i'm in the south west metro.

Two years ago when I went to get my firearm safety (I was born in 1982), I took the class on the MN DNR website. The only part that wasn't online was the final exam and the field test. That allowed for me to do things as it fit into my schedule.

Even if you don't need to take the class take it anyways. Yes, alot of gun handling is common sence. But you will learnd all the little safty tips you will need to learn.

Take the online class. I just took it this spring. It is better to be certified just in case you decide to hunt out of state: some state requires certification for all hunters. That was my reason.

I am a bow hunter and I don't bird hunt but have. I guarantee, you will have a lot better luck finding a hunting buddy AFTER you take the class. Without it, I bet you wont see a lot of interest in brining you out.

you managed to find a good spot to start at here, these folks will give you as much information as ya need...and then some ya dont too. take the clas, educate as much as you can, and have fun with it. why the sudden swing to start hunting? that just means you already wasted half you life already not hunting.... you need to make up for some lost time in the field!

Lots of good advice so far. Don't hestitate to hunt some small game like squirrels, rabbits, etc. that how most of us started, theres lots of them around, you learn gun safty, how to clean game, it gets you out in the woods where you learn lots just by observing. Get some maps of public hunting areas so you figure out where to go. Network to find hunting buddies - at work, clubs, etc. Banquet committees are ALWAYS looking for help, you can get to know some people and eventually you'll find someone to go hunting with. Do a web search to find Pheasants Forever, DU, MN Deer Hunters websites, there will be links to find your local chapters. And you don't have to hunt with someone else, when I was in college I spent hours and hours tromping thru public hunting areas, hunting pheasants, jumping duck sloughs, shooting a squirrel now and then, observing deer sign.

Good luck!

Time in the field is paramount. For example, when I was in my late teens some buddies invited me along on a snowshoe hare hunt in January. Those guys were seeing hares everywhere but I couldn't see them. After a few trips I began to notice them as well, to the point of picking out an ear or an eyeball. You have to train your eyes and brain to recognize your quarry. Same goes for deer, upland birds, waterfowl, etc. The more time spent in the field the better chance you'll have at noticing the game.

Good luck,

Bob