Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caseymcq

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Fuel Filter

9 posts in this topic

I was told that the fuel filter for my 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 is in the gas tank. I know the fuel pumps have been put in the tank for a while. Is it true that the fuel filter is in there too? I was told in order to replace the filter I would have to purchase a $400 kit that included the pump. Is that true?

I have always considered fuel filters a routine maintenance item but $400 and having to drop the fuel tank to change it isn't so routine to me.

I have an '04 Silverado and the fuel filter is in the tank. According to GM they are "lifetime" filters... confused.gif. I'm not sure about the $400 kit you asked about though, I sure hope it isn't that bad if the filter needs changing frown.gif.

I have a 2000 Silverado and the filter is on the frame rail just under the drivers door.

I just googled 04 silverado fuel filter and it looks the same as my 01. It's right under the left side frame rail, take a peek and you hopefully will see it. Takes about 5 min to replace, just be prepared to have a little gas run out, I would suggest driveway and not garage laugh.gif

Ya just look on the frame right under the driver seat and there should be the little silver can. If it isn't there then it might be in the tank. Which would be stupid but so is having the fuel pump in the tank. Like others have said I had a '02 and it was on the frame rail. But things change in 2 years.

There was an error in the 2004 Owners Manual Section 6 under Normal Maintenance Replacement Parts.

This section lists the fuel filter as a replaceable part; this is incorrect as gas powered V-8 engines have a lifetime filter built into the fuel sender inside the tank and thus the fuel filter is not serviceable separately on 2004 Silverado trucks equipped with the 4.8 5.3 6.0 8.1 engines. (The flex-fuel engine still has the external filter)

Thanks for the replies guys. Hopefully that filter is really a "lifte-time of the truck" filter.

I have put on over 100,000 miles on a 1998 and also on a 2002 and never had the fuel filter changed in either one of them.

Quote:

(The flex-fuel engine still has the external filter)

There is a specialty tool to remove the fittings on this filter. Most parts stores will have a version of it. I you ask for the GM Flex fuel Quick connect fuel filter tool they should know what you are talking about.

I guess I haven't noticed any of the new Silverados without a filter. I'll have to pay more attention! It still wouldn't hurt to check inside the frame rail around the area of the drivers door. If theres one on the truck it should be in that location!