Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jbtwins24

weather??

7 posts in this topic

so whats up with this weather?? i dont know about you but im not liking this weather that we're haven. i honestly cant complain about it if i wasnt hunting but im hunting now and im complaining about it. i also think its going to screw up the rut maybe not though. i just dont get the highs are in the 80's, is this normal in minnesota, im from cali so i dont know what to expect.

The rut is set by lenght of light per day.When it is on,it will be on.It may just make the bucks slow down and run later.Long time untill the rut and the weather will cool.

There have been many a day that I have hunted pheasants in mid October in the 70's.It will cool.

U have to remember this is minnesota- 90 one day 0 the next. Its only the first of Oct. we had kinda a cold strech for a bit now its a bit above normal. My first year of hunting it was 60 the first day. Shot my first deer towards dark, gutted it and were going to come and get it after dark. Didnt get to it til next day under foot of snow. Last year i muzzleloaded in the rain and i am in northeren mn. Don't worry about the rut it will come and go as usual, besides there are alot of days before and after that to get that big buck, the rut doesnt guarentee success. It boils down to scouting and persistence and persistence and scouting, oh and practice. wink.gif

Seven years or so ago, I pheasant hunted in December in upper 70s weather. That weekend I went to my cousins wedding in shorts. That was retarded.

three or four years ago, my son and i played golf in tee shirts and shorts on dec. 15.( my brothers' birthday)it snowed the next day.

I wouldn't worry about it, it's pretty common to have a warm, blue sky about this time of year. It has to do with duck opener being last weekend, it will get cold soon enough wink.gif

Good stuff GottaGo!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• jigginjim

Posted

I have put my guide clients on lots of pike this summer. So far largest bass is 21"- 5lbs  Pike 36" Approx. 8-9lbs, Walleye is 23 inches 3lbs. The walleyes will get better as the water cools. Time to start jigging, everything you got. I'm even started using my crankbaits.

• bassbouncer

Posted

I'm a local and yes we boycott the place. Friends have been told that they aren't wanted there that they only want the tourist business. Wife and I boat to Wolf Bay when we go out. We live 2 miles from the landing and wish it was still run by Jack.

• RoosterMan

Posted

Well I made a decision to put the trolling rods away and go do some jigging.   It seemed to be a good one.  I concentrated on rocky transition areas.  I had three slot fish in an hour.  Went back in for some VC pizza and picked my kids up and went back out for a evening trolling run and that produced as well.  You have to love this lake.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1 person likes this
    • CigarGuy

Posted

We have friends up and they wanted to take us out for dinner, via the boat.  With the wind, the only place was the landing, I tried vetoing It, but lost out.  Had $12.00 burger and fries.  Very good and the service was fast-only 8 others in the dinning area and a few at the bar.  I checked the prices on the wings-$16.00 for 1-1/2lbs.  Del, they had a pretty good burger menu.  I asked about the 20% off deal and the waiter blew me off and said he didn't know anything about it.  I asked who I should talk to, he said the manager or the owner.  We paid the bill and left without asking.  I liked it a few winters ago when they had ,25 wings and 2.00 beers.

• knoppers

Posted

seen enough grouse to keep me interested, lots of turkeys, seems they and the deer are everywhere this fall. did not here much shooting from the duck hunters though.

• ANYFISH2

Posted

First off I am not a waterfowl hunter, so this info is second hand.

Here in the Morrison/E.Todd cty area, the hunt really seemed slow considering the weather conditions.  Although a few birds were shot early in morning the day seemed slow by most accounts around here.

Good luck to all.

• she's getting big

• delcecchi

Posted

Crescent and south switch have good burgers too, and I wouldn't have to drive so far. 

• monstermoose78

Posted

No internet in the field today. Had a group sky busting keeping birds out of anyone's range. Riverrat and I got buzzed by teal a few time and a pair of woodies scooted through. Should have had a shoveler and some woodies. The bugs were so bad I lost 4 pints of blood. 

Now to the fun parts Finn was jumping woodcock son the fields on our way out. Finn did good but does not like no action. After leaving the refuge I checked my dads pond. O yeah there was a woodie sitting on the log bang!! No finn needs to do his job.

IMG_0607.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

Finn did good he got it and brought it back to me!! Way to go Finn. 

1 person likes this
    • Lindy came along on our trip to Western MN for duck opener. The guys that came out Thursday to start scouting had a field lined up with alot of geese but they got busted off the roost early in a huge flock and didn't commit. We ended up with only 2 birds today.  She had to stay back in her crate during the hunt but got to play with a wing afterwards. 

IMG_20160924_110720925.jpg

IMG_20160924_104852333_HDR.jpg

1 person likes this

• jigginjim
      I have put my guide clients on lots of pike this summer. So far largest bass is 21"- 5lbs  Pike 36" Approx. 8-9lbs, Walleye is 23 inches 3lbs. The walleyes will get better as the water cools. Time to start jigging, everything you got. I'm even started using my crankbaits.
    • bassbouncer
      I'm a local and yes we boycott the place. Friends have been told that they aren't wanted there that they only want the tourist business. Wife and I boat to Wolf Bay when we go out. We live 2 miles from the landing and wish it was still run by Jack.
    • RoosterMan
      Well I made a decision to put the trolling rods away and go do some jigging.   It seemed to be a good one.  I concentrated on rocky transition areas.  I had three slot fish in an hour.  Went back in for some VC pizza and picked my kids up and went back out for a evening trolling run and that produced as well.  You have to love this lake.  
    • CigarGuy
      We have friends up and they wanted to take us out for dinner, via the boat.  With the wind, the only place was the landing, I tried vetoing It, but lost out.  Had $12.00 burger and fries.  Very good and the service was fast-only 8 others in the dinning area and a few at the bar.  I checked the prices on the wings-$16.00 for 1-1/2lbs.  Del, they had a pretty good burger menu.  I asked about the 20% off deal and the waiter blew me off and said he didn't know anything about it.  I asked who I should talk to, he said the manager or the owner.  We paid the bill and left without asking.  I liked it a few winters ago when they had ,25 wings and 2.00 beers.
    • knoppers
      seen enough grouse to keep me interested, lots of turkeys, seems they and the deer are everywhere this fall. did not here much shooting from the duck hunters though.