• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

When Trolling cranks.....

Insp Gadget

Here's a question I haven't seen discussed in recent posts, How long and what type of leader if any do you use when pulling cranks with fireline or your main line of choice?

I've used Vanish or equivelent (disappearing) lines as a rule usually 10 feet or so (8# test) but I've also had guests in my boat do fine without any at all. Does it matter?

Thanks for the input!

Just tie a Duo-lock or swivel right to your fireline, no need to put a leader on. Right now they do not care they just want to eat. Plus chance of messing around with knots and breaking line.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Quote:

Just tie a Duo-lock or swivel right to your fireline, no need to put a leader on. Right now they do not care they just want to eat. Plus chance of messing around with knots and breaking line.

Ditto. I've never used a leader and the walleyes, pike and muskies don't seem to mind.

Quote:

Quote:

Ditto. I've never used a leader and the walleyes, pike and muskies don't seem to mind.

Same thing here, no leader. Just a Duo-lok, and have at it. K.I.S.S. wink.gif

Same for me, no fluoro or other leader. I like speed clips far better than duolocks though.

This time of year there are Muskie and Pike mixed in with the Walleyes so I to would stay away from the mono. I lost my Favorite HJ to a brute last Saturday night. Thought I hooked a boulder, but it pulled back HARD and ran a bit before cutting 20lb braid. I do however carry a mono set up with me always. 2 years ago we had a spell where the fish were hitting very short and light so the mono helped with more hook ups do to the extra stretch. You will appreciate the fireline in the weeds. I prefer Power Pro or Berkly Stealth.

I put the snap directly to Stealth and have never tried the leader. I fished with a friend last year who used flourocarbon as his main line and caught as many fish or more as anyone else in the boat. It was later in the season and there were a lot less weeds to catch.

I tried running with 10 lb mono last week and a 100 feet of line out on my spinning reel combos, but just couldn't feel the bait running. We we're running rock/sand so it was clean but not being able to feel the pulses would be a problem when running over weeds.

I'm going to put braid spools back on my spinning reel combos and mark out on the line a point at which 100 feet of line is out. I can adjust from their. The nice thing will be it will be easier for me to work my line drive the boat, and adjust the speed all at the same time. Easier to hold the rod and less tiring. Another added bonus will be that I won't have to pull line out when I'm letting the bait back with a spinning reel. I guess I'll see how it works this weekend.

Generally you should tie straight to a clip. This way your much more likely to change through baits until you find what works. Tieing knots in the dark tends to be much more challenging.

Ryan

Hey! I've got great news, I just saved a bunch of money on my leader material!

My bad, I guess I was just trying too hard. Only got an all weather fully equiped boat last year so I'm a bit knew to the fall night crankin. Last year got out about 4 times and did quite well, seemed like I generally caught more fish than others in the boat, but that was maybe just my choice of lures. From reading the posts about lure selection it seems like one common denominator is baits that rattle, HJ's, Taildancers (my 1st bait every time) etc, and not my flouro leader.

If any of you guys need a deckhand some night or Mykal if you don't get new keys made let me know, frown.gif I got the equipment and some flexibility in schedule, but not always a partner.

Thanks for the input, good luck in the next couple weeks, should be good!

I'm a little different. I do use a Fluoro leader tied to braided line (Power Pro for me) but more like 20lb. Cuts down on the biteoffs. I use a 10ft leader connected with a small barrel swivel. I also use a 10lb wire leader at times if the pike are really active. Tyger wire is my choice. Walleyes don't seem to mind and I don't lose my lures. It takes about 4 lures to find one that runs just right and I really hate to lose that magic maker to a slimer.

I recently realized running mono can be a problem on Mille. Running cranks on the gravel outside of Fishers resort, lost 2 crank baits in about a 2 minute span, to what had to be muskies. We were running planer boards, had a big hit and my crank was biten off. Tied up my line again, started letting out line again, stopped my line from going out to reset my line counter, and was slammed by a monster, crank #2 gone.

I lost 2 cranks, shad rap fire tiger #8's, which were working well for the eyes, and the only 2 of that type I had in my box. Struggled to catch fish after that. Lesson for that day, if using mono, buy at least 3-4 of each crank, or use fireline or something equivalent.

Gadget, I found my spare key for the boat, however I cut off the locks on the trailer hitch before I found them. Oh well. I am good to go now. I see you are in Elk River so I may have to swing by on the way up sometime.

Sounds great, congrats on the keys! I'll be up Fri, Sun, and Mon for sure maybe Tues as well. Do you have a vhf and if so what channel? I'd appreciate the opportunity to meet.

My favorite Walleye trolling setup is still 10lb mono with a 5' 6lb leader tied to a small barrel swivel. I did land a Muskie on this setup (a perch F18 Rapala). Anyhow, I have made a couple of 3' light wire leaders to use where the toothy critters are lurking.