• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Manitoba Duck Hunting report?

Heading up to the Boissevain area this weekend and wondering if anybody has been up there yet? Good news/Bad news??

Last year it was a little dry but still pounded the ducks.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

Dustin

I talked with a relative of mine up in that area this week. He told me that he hadn't seen any ducks in the last two weeks. Most of the beaver ponds in the area are dry this year.

The snows moved in a week ago. As always the Canadas are there and waiting for you.

I will be in the same area as you from Saturday to Tuesday. Good Luck

Todd

Thanks for the info Todd..

Those are the same dates we are going smile.gif

Good luck to you as well.

Dustin

Dustin

Report back in here how you did when you get back. I will do the same.

Guys, I would appreciate the report also. I am heading to the Oakburn area a week from yesterday. Do you know how far you are from the oakburn area which is about one hour north of Brandon. I will report our trip on here also. thanks.

Sorry Dustin

I made a bad report to you. I was thinking of a different town. I hunt East of Winnipeg. I'll still report when I get back.

Well I guess that is a good thing, the ducks must be in our area smile.gif

Nova, we will be about 45 min south of Brandon. I will give an update when I return.

Just dreading the drive smile.gif

Dustin

I hear that, the only reason I don't go more often is the 12 plus hours on the road. Good luck to and save us a couple.

A friend got back from the Dauphin area on Sunday. They pounded the ducks pretty good. Snows moved out and the next ones hadn't moved in. Dark geese were cooperative.

We head up on the 14th.

Well just returned from boissevain and didn't do all that well. The northern birds didn't make it into the area yet making the local birds tough to decoy. Plus new regs said that you can only goose hunt in the morning til noon (til the 16th) which made it tough. Not nearly the swarms of ducks we have seen in the past years. We did hear from a guy up there that the birds were still a good 3 hours north. Oh well, still had some good shooting, just more scouting than we wanted to do. Brused shoulder = good time smile.gif

Sorry I didn't post last week when I got back. Work was waiting for me when I returned.

My trip West of Winnipeg was poor to say the least. We saw a fair amount of birds but most of the fields had been plowed already. Birds were very spoky and hard to decoy. We ended up with around 40 birds for 4 days with 5 guys. We still had a great time and I will be going back again next year.

I also apologize for the slow response time, work has been killing me since I got back Sunday the 15th. We had great duck shooting north of Brandon. There were a ton of geese around. Most of the dark geese were the small Hutchinsons, but they are very fun. We also had more light geese in the area than I have ever seen, but a flock of 10,000 birds hanging together is very hard to compete with. We spent two of the four mornings chasing the snows with no luck. Really makes me want to take a week next year and concentrate on the light geese. I now have a vindeta(sp) with them. Over all the best shooting I have had up there and I will be going back. The pot holes did freeze up the second to last night so a bunch of the ducks headed out, but there was still a ton of geese around.

I just returned from a week of hunting in the Dauphin area with 3 friends. We shot limits of mallards, redheads, and dark geese (ate a ton of ducks so we could keep hunting). 5-6" of snow on Monday made things interesting. Luckily, we brought 4-wheelers, so we could still get in the fields. Swarms of mallards still around, but snows had moved farther south. A fair number of darks remained in the area.

Our worst day was 8 geese and 13 mallards, but that's the day 2 different groups had permission for the same field, so we were screwed and had to make the best of it. Overall, a fantastic trip!!!