• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Muley!

Scoot

Spent five days bowhunting in Western ND last week and weekend. I got my biggest mule deer to date. It's 20 inches wide and a 5 x 4. Not a monster by many muley guru's standards, but I was thrilled to take him. He and another muley fed their way down the draw towards me. I made a sneak of only about 20 yards to get in position for the shot. I made a perfect shot at 42 yards on a sharp downhill angle.

Funny story, a buddy of mine had missed a really nice muley the day before. He got the entire thing on video. His shot was over 40 yards and at a very steep downhill angle. We watched on the tape and saw his shot sailed about two feet over the back of the deer. He compensated a couple inches for the sharp angle, but not nearly enough (just as I would have done previous to our post-miss conversation). We ran the numbers for how long of a shot he should have played for and it should have been aimed for at about 18 yards (according to our trig calculations). Fastforward 19 hours after our number crunching and I have this muley 42 yards away and at a very sharp angle downhill (greater than 45 degrees). I think back to the conversation the night before and put my 20 yard pin just behind his shoulder. My arrow hit exactly where my pin was and he dropped in less than 40 yards. Sweet! I guess five years of math classes in four years of high school payed off! And to think, my math teacher said I was dim-whitted!!! tongue.gif

Here's where we found him a very short distance from where my arrow zipped through him.

ecb66d6e.jpg

Here's a pic of me with him.

ecb66c22.jpg

And here's a pic of him and me after a very long, very tough drag up and out of the cut I was hunting in (thanks again to Rod and Slevy for their help getting this guy outta that deep draw.

ecb66aa5.jpg

All in all, it was a great trip!!!

Looks like a very nice bow kill to me.Congrats a nice job. smile.gifThat is a good shot at that distance and angle.

You da man, Slevy. Not only did you get my butt out there in the first place, but you did the field work (aka. miss a big ol' buck) that lead to me taking the buck I did. Now that's a true friend!!! grin.giftongue.giflaugh.gif