Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MNDeerhunter

Good morning of Grouse hunting.

8 posts in this topic

Had a really good weekend of hunting. We got 3 Friday. 9 Saturday morning...2 Saturday night, and 4 Sunday. Here is a picture of the "morning take"

Saturdaytake.jpg

Dang! If I ever got more than 5 in one day, I'd say that the Grouse theory is right!

Please tell me you were on public land. I put on quite a few miles and only saw 3.

Quote:

Please tell me you were on public land. I put on quite a few miles and only saw 3.

Yeah, we only hunt public land where we are at. I am guessing all-in-all we saw 30+ birds over 2 full days of hunting.

That's good to hear. smile.gif

I have to work all weekend, but I'm hoping to make another trip Friday.

Good job MNDeerhunter,

I'm heading up this weekend to give it a try. Looks like the birds are up this year so hopefully we can get to some like you did.

Yes the grouse seem to be plentiful this year. My cousin has been shooting many. Grouse are in pockets somedays you can walk all day and see a couple. Other days after about half hour can have your limit. All I know is I am very eager to get out. I personally think grouse are the most tasty of game!

Your absolutely right!

Grouse are up in certain pockets. I shot my limit the otherday in about 3 hours flushing close to 15 birds. Earlier in the season I walked all day with my two dogs and saw 1. Beautiful time to be working the dogs in the northwoods, and a tasty grouse dinner is a nice bonus. As a sidenote my first grouse in the bag was caught by my chocolate lab. Good way to start the day!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• if you ever need another shooter let me know I would be down to shoot with you

• FrazerBay

Posted

Like the food and like the menu. Like the fact there are places to eat on the lake and will continue to support them.

• delcecchi

Posted

Thanks, cigar guy.   Might check into it next year.  Or maybe not.   They always used to have some expensive entrees but we just ignored them.   

Even 12 for a burger is sort of high for the area, but the view is worth something.   Probably stay with the Crescent.   I don't see how there are enough tourists for the landing to make it. 

• jigginjim

Posted

I have put my guide clients on lots of pike this summer. So far largest bass is 21"- 5lbs  Pike 36" Approx. 8-9lbs, Walleye is 23 inches 3lbs. The walleyes will get better as the water cools. Time to start jigging, everything you got. I'm even started using my crankbaits.

• bassbouncer

Posted

I'm a local and yes we boycott the place. Friends have been told that they aren't wanted there that they only want the tourist business. Wife and I boat to Wolf Bay when we go out. We live 2 miles from the landing and wish it was still run by Jack.

• RoosterMan

Posted

Well I made a decision to put the trolling rods away and go do some jigging.   It seemed to be a good one.  I concentrated on rocky transition areas.  I had three slot fish in an hour.  Went back in for some VC pizza and picked my kids up and went back out for a evening trolling run and that produced as well.  You have to love this lake.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 people like this
    • CigarGuy

Posted

We have friends up and they wanted to take us out for dinner, via the boat.  With the wind, the only place was the landing, I tried vetoing It, but lost out.  Had $12.00 burger and fries.  Very good and the service was fast-only 8 others in the dinning area and a few at the bar.  I checked the prices on the wings-$16.00 for 1-1/2lbs.  Del, they had a pretty good burger menu.  I asked about the 20% off deal and the waiter blew me off and said he didn't know anything about it.  I asked who I should talk to, he said the manager or the owner.  We paid the bill and left without asking.  I liked it a few winters ago when they had ,25 wings and 2.00 beers.

• knoppers

Posted

seen enough grouse to keep me interested, lots of turkeys, seems they and the deer are everywhere this fall. did not here much shooting from the duck hunters though.

• ANYFISH2

Posted

First off I am not a waterfowl hunter, so this info is second hand.

Here in the Morrison/E.Todd cty area, the hunt really seemed slow considering the weather conditions.  Although a few birds were shot early in morning the day seemed slow by most accounts around here.

Good luck to all.

1 person likes this
    • she's getting big

• ZachD
      if you ever need another shooter let me know I would be down to shoot with you
    • FrazerBay
      Like the food and like the menu. Like the fact there are places to eat on the lake and will continue to support them.
    • delcecchi
      Thanks, cigar guy.   Might check into it next year.  Or maybe not.   They always used to have some expensive entrees but we just ignored them.    Even 12 for a burger is sort of high for the area, but the view is worth something.   Probably stay with the Crescent.   I don't see how there are enough tourists for the landing to make it. 
    • jigginjim
      I have put my guide clients on lots of pike this summer. So far largest bass is 21"- 5lbs  Pike 36" Approx. 8-9lbs, Walleye is 23 inches 3lbs. The walleyes will get better as the water cools. Time to start jigging, everything you got. I'm even started using my crankbaits.
    • bassbouncer
      I'm a local and yes we boycott the place. Friends have been told that they aren't wanted there that they only want the tourist business. Wife and I boat to Wolf Bay when we go out. We live 2 miles from the landing and wish it was still run by Jack.