Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Freddy1

Minnewawa-Rocks in the narrows!

20 posts in this topic

Lost my lower unit on 9_30. I knew the level was down but this was a surprise I didn't need. Anyone else know about this? I asked around at Willey's and it's the first they heard of anyone hitting rock in the narrows.

I hadnt heard of that, but good to know - just sorry you had to be the one to find out.

I had to get waders on to push the pontoon off the dock this weekend on Big Sandy. Willey's said alot of folks cant get their boats off of their lifts right now. Some are winterizing & wintering on the lift and hoping for the best.

sounds like LOW water all around

The last report in the Aitkin Age says Aitkin County is 14 inches below normal rain for the year.

Yeah, my godfather says he can't get his pontoon out due to the low water level. I know me and the wife were supposed to go up there in two weeks, but unless we get a ton of rain really soon, I doubt the fishing trip will be happening. frown.gif

14 inches sounds about right. my dock is about 2 ft off the water right now

Ended up getting the boat and lift out of the lake last weekend. It's crazy how shallow Big Sandy is. I thought they might be drain the lake a little due to the bridge reconstruction near Webster Bay, but this is crazy. Does anyone know if this will affect ice fishing treads? The hot spots might not be so hot anymore?

Good luck to all that still have work ahead of them regarding their boats and lifts.

I just stopped by Round Lake on Sunday to grab my fishing gear on my way home from Duluth. I was in shock to see how low the lake was... it's insane.

I don't think I've ever seen the lake that low before. I really hope it bounces back in time for next season.

Hey Freddy1 - i've been on Minnewawa for 40+ years -- i have a question, and don't take this the wrong way. When you say narrows - do you mean off of "Warners Point" or down towards Sportsmans bay. (a few people consider the narrows to be down towards Sportsman Bay). the mouth (or 'narrows') of Sportsman bay has a huge bolder right in the middle (this year only about a foot under) and every year 2-3 boats slam into it and loose the lower unit. I've never in all my years heard of anyone hitting a rock in the narrows (off of Warners Point). So just curious if it's the narrows off Warners Point, where in the narrows did you hit the rock? -- Thanks -- p.s. if you want more info on location of the bolder entering Sportsman i would be glad to tell you.

I was coming from Horseshoe, right before taking a left towards the main lake off the north side of Sheshebee point. I was heading to the public access to pull the boat for the season. Is there any other way through there?

we're you going through the channel in the weed right before the narrows? - if so there are a couple of boulders that during normal years, i.e. not this year, are a couple of feet under water - this year i would guess they're close to the serface. They're located on the north side of the weed channel towards the narrows end of the weed channel - ouch!

Yep unotrouble2 , thats the one. I was almost through the channel through the weeds. I was hanging a little to the right towards what I was thinking was deeper water. Is there another way through there? Thats a hard spot to pinpoint in the spring. I'm always in a hurry to get fishing!

To unotrouble2

Read your note regarding big rocks on Minnewawa down by Sportsman’s bay. We bought a place down by Sportman’s bay (I think?) last year. I know we are on the Southwestern side of the lake a mile or so up from the Minnewawa Sportsman club. Bought my very first boat late in the fall and only got it on the water once. Anyhow—would love to hear any advice you could give on avoiding rocks while boating on Minnewawa. Also would take any spring fishing tips on Minnewawa you’d be willing to share. Can’t wait until Spring and hope the water level picks up!

Can anyone please pinpoint the location of these rocks via a google map? I have included a google map of the area. Please if someone could just mark the approximate location with a red mark or something that would be great!

untitled.jpg

This should be is approximately where the guys mean if I'm not mistaken.

I've been on the lake all but 4 of my 52 years and I've never hit rocks there.

untitled.jpg

Macgyver55,

Sounds like you definetly know the lake well. I'm new to the lake and to boating. Any other boating hazards worth noting?

Thats the spot, and now there's a new bouy marking the rocks. I don't think it's in my honor, others must have found it also.

Quote:

Thats the spot, and now there's a new bouy marking the rocks. I don't think it's in my honor, others must have found it also.

Did you see your name stenciled on the bouy?

The other place that has a large rock and gets it's share of props and lower units is between the points heading into Sportsman Bay. This rock isn't marked. Last year I had the wife and daughter paddle boat me out for a look - lot's of nice shiny alluminum on the rock -- you could reach down and touch the rock with your hand -- I've not checked it out this year but i would guess it's fairly close to the surface.

Could you also locate this rock on the Map? thanks

The south bay has some rocks just as you eneter it from the main lake or just off of the small point on the right as you enter the bay.