Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dhenry

Saturday night

11 posts in this topic

Fished saturday night from 7-1...what a great night to be on the water. No wind, northern lights and very little boat traffic. The fishing was very good and pretty consistent all night up until we left. We fished inside weed edges in 4.5'-8' of water. Our best bait was #12 HJ trolled at approx. 1.7 mph. Our largest fish was a fat 27 incher with approx 7-10 fish above the 24" mark. The water temp was approx. 56.

What area did you fish?

Any problems with rocks?

JDM

We fished the northwest bays and we weren't near any rocks. We launched at Terry's which has nice deep water heading into the lake. Have you had trouble with rocks?

I also went out of Terry's because of his boat launch. Fished south of there on outside weedlines, but not luck. Next time I am going in. No trouble with rocks on Saturday, but a couple of weeks ago, I did down by Cove and Spirit Island. I didn't wreck my prop, but I am carrying an extra now.

JDM

I have a dumb question about inside and outside weedlines. I can understand the outside of the weedline, but if the weedbed goes to shore, how are you fishing the inside of the weedline? confused.gif

Weedlines run at various depths depending on water clarity, lake bottom materials, etc. The portions of the lake that we fish on Mille Lacs in the fall that have weeds that run to a depth of about 7' which provides an area for the fish to feed between the inside weededge and the shore and also allows us to fish crankbaits in these areas.

Sometimes you will see boats on there trailers driving the shore, because the weeds go all the way up to shore. They always get ROCK bass...... grin.gif

Good one! grin.gif Ask a dumb question, get a brilliant reply!?? crazy.gif

Thanks for the info D

I liked that bit about the boats on trailers and catching rock bass. I also went up Saturday night. Fished from about 6:00-12:00. Had good luck, we started running cranks in about 12-14 fow, then followed the fish up into the 6-8 ft. weedlines. We did see a Eddy's launch, in 14 fow, just hammering the fish. They must have had a net out everytime we went by them, and heard constant "Ya Babies" coming from them. Also noticed a lot of baitfish swimming around just below the surface.

Well, now I know what I did wrong. We launched at Terry's and worked the outside weed edge from Terry's up past the Garrison ramp and back all night on Saturday from 7:00-12:00. Only got one, a 21.5"er. I guess moving in closer to shore was the ticket. Live and learn.

Trolled the inside weedline from 6pm-midnight in under 7' of water. Caught some very nice slot fish and 5 eyes over 24" with the largest at 27.5". All very nice, healthy, strong fish. Conditions couldn't have been better.