Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
fishin5

My Hunting Mentor Has heart attack.

fishin5

I just found out today that my hunting mentor and second father, Rob Watlov, had a heart attack while hunting in Canada. He is stable in ICU in Minot ND, but has alot of damage done to his heart. The Dr has said he will be very limited to his physical activities, and then he said the killer....no hunting.

The reason I am writting this is because it didn't have to be like this. He had ignored the classic warning signs. Twice in the past couple of months in the twin cities, and overnight while in Canada. He didn't want to ruin anyone's hunt. How do you think the hunt is going now? Rob had a family history of heart problems and eventhough he is probably the fittest 52 year old I kow, he still should of gone for check ups.

I hope that the doctors are wrong and that I can be in the blind with him soon, but if not maybe this message will motivate someone to get checked out.

I'll close with his favorite quote

"Good Hunting Partners Last a Lifetime"

stmichael

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Rob. I hope that this is a wakeup call to those that "do not need to go to the doctor" I know there are many of us out there.

If you have not been to see the doc. in a while it is good to go just to get a check up. There may be something going on and you do not know it. Then there is age, weight, lifestyle,..etc. Please get checked out, you never want a family member or close friend to say, if he had only went in to check it out.

eyepatrol

No doubt. Hopefully the prognosis is off and Rob can return to hunting some day. And we all need to be vigilant of going to the doctor and getting check-ups. We all want to be able to enjoy our passions as long as we can and to be able to pass on those passions/traditions to our kids or any other person we may have bonds with. Even the most althletic pro-sports people pass away from heart related issues, so none of us are exempt from heart or other related problems.

Hopefully Rob gets better soon and is able to return to the lifestyle he enjoys!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Next time you give it a try. Take a flash light and look up to make sure the throttle flapper is returning to the closed position when you let off the gas and it dies. I have had them stick open or half open then your more or less trying to restart it at half or full throttle which may just be flooding it out. It's either starving for gas or flooding.  Let us know if you solve it.  Good Luck.
    • huntnfish
      I never fished north of Wahpeton. When I fished down there I'd go south. There's normally some walleye biting early in the year south of the main road through town. I don't know how it would be this time of year. I always fished it first ice because that was usually fishable before most lakes. If you do go out I'd recommend bringing someone along and having a chisel along to check ice. That river ice can be very inconsistent. 
    • sparetime
      I ordered a rebuild kit from amazon for less than $5.00, so hopefully that will help.  YouTube has some videos on installing it.  It is an odd thing, if it sits for a while it will start and I can run it.  Once I take it off full throttle, it will die and I can't get it to restart.  Thanks for the posts so far, I appreciate it. 
    • fishin_magician2
      Anyone ever fish this lake? Buddy of mine wants to try it?
    • leech~~
      For cleaning carbs I use Gumout spray with the tube on it to shoot through all the passage ways. If I'm finding one not flowing well or clogged I like to use a gas welding tip cleaner. There are a lot of sizes and you don't have to jam something to big through it which could widen and ruin the flow. I got a nice pretty new little chain saw from a guy who just could not get it running for Free. Found that no spray would go through the main jet when I was cleaning the carb. Used the tip cleaner to knock out a piece of saw dust, and clear our Deer trails out really nice this year! Like Wanderer and Borch said, rebuild kits are cheap and a good thing to do if it's been gummed up.  p.s those little piss-ant needle flow valve springs are really fun to get back in place with fat fingers! They like to jump off the work bench and hide!!  
    • Tom Sawyer
      Sounds fun Jeff!, The way the ice has set up this year maybe it will happen after all. I would like to start getting a few prizes together for Biggest Cat, and also a kids division. Hopefully someone can bring a few good ones to the scales...
    • Wanderer
      @donethat Where is this access you speak of?  I’m not familiar with “bullhead bay”.  Is there a problem with people trespassing? The access I was referring to last year looked pretty public to me.
    • Borch
      Carb kit may help.  It's plugged or gasket/diaphragm dried out or cracked.  Alternating between choke and open when running will sometimes help if diaphram.
    • Wanderer
      Anything new that way?  I was kicking around the idea of fishing Fish Trap this weekend but went elsewhere in the area.  Been finding 14-15 inches regularly.
    • Wanderer
      Get some sea foam in that gas tank and run ‘er!  I can’t tell you exactly where it’s gummed up, but it is.  It’ll take a tank and maybe two but it should clear up. Or, take the carb back off soak it and clean every oriface you can find by poking and blowing compressed air through all the holes.  Put a new carb kit on it and reinstall. Whichever way you prefer should work. Mix your gas with 100:1 Amsoil next time, especially if you let it sit with gas in it over the summer.  I run about 75:1 and have gotten away without gummed up carbs when forgetting to clear the gas from last year - like today.  First day starting the gas auger.  I found out it wasn’t stores empty like I normally do. Took about 10 pulls but she came around and did fine on the lake today.  I WAS annoyed to find gas in it but I have no one to blame but me.
  • Share & Have Fun