Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wallayewolloper

big pine 10/5-10/9

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys,heading up to big pine for a few days.Never fish it in the fall. Any pointers would be great. Good luck to you all. The bite should be getting stated.

It looks like you are not getting too many RE's.

Well, I will be out on Big Pine this coming weekend too. 2 of my friends from down south in Mn come up and we fish BP every Oct for the past oh, I don't know how many years, 10 or better anyway.

Many people on this board talk about pulling cranks out on BP. We, on the other hand have had real good luck jigging, and many times in the deeper water, very seldom less than 17 or 18 feet. You will want to get shiners or fatheads, whatever they have at the sport shop in Perham. Try to get your line as vertical as possible, very little movement is needed.Tiny little bouncing action right on the bottom. I am sure you will pick up many just over the 18" limit, you will get a few eaters too.

We have always stayed at Whispering Pines, and usually the only ones out there this time of year. If you ask me it is the best fishing ever. The colors, the sky, the quiet. It just does not get any better.

We (3 of us) will be in a Lund 1700 Fisherman black and gray w/a 115 Yami 4 stroke. Say hi if you see us.

Have fun

Brian, are you still wrenchin on your own? If so, I have something for you, please call! 218 234 6585

Hey 98prosport,

Thanks for the reply. We are also staying at whispering pines. We will be up tomarrow about 11:00am. Can't wait to wet a line.We should run into each other. Maybe a cold one or two.The bite should be good.

Later

Hey Brian , long time !! Give me a call sometime !

Steve

SHOOT ME SOME MAIL

ROCKETMANATARVIGDOTNET

Hey, believe what 98ProSport is telling ya. They've got that fall pattern figured out on BR (kicked our tails a couple years ago).. We're actually taking off shortly for Big Pine as well staying until Tuesday, but we at Sunset Beach this year. See ya on the water!! If you see a blue Lund 1800 Fisherman with 135 Optimax give us a wave...

Last weekend Big Pine was slow for walleyes for us, but we did good on other lakes. Good luck

Well, we were on Big Pine Friday afternoon thru Monday. Fishing wasn't fast and furious for us by any means but we picked some fish (probably around 50/50 between "keeper size" and those over the 18" slot) including a pair of bookend 25.5 inchers on Sunday morning. Mostly working weed edges on fairly steep drop-offs. Things really went dead for us on Monday when it cooled down the the lake went flat..

All and all a great final trip of the year for Dad and I..

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Cret Jigs
      Thanks for sharing those pics ... really enjoyed that!!     Bob
    • eyeguy 54
      pretty neat that the train went over. 
    • Muskies
      Was out opening weekend walleye fishing. Caught walleyes in 10 -12 ft slow trolling minnows. Looked like the spawn was over and this coming weekend should be much better. Water was 55 degrees in the area I was in and didn't  get any other species.
    • Muskies
      Good evening hooked up as a non resident you are allowed one walleye between the sizes mentioned per day no matter what license you posses. As others have stated, the smallness should be off their beds and the walleyes will be transitioning to the deep water reefs. Wind blown points or current are always good places to start.
    • Wheres_Walter
      I'm not a big bass chaser, but last year I started tossing senkos rigged wacky around rock piles and docks and did pretty well on Smallies.  Green Pumpkin color seemed to work the best.    Stay away from white bouys, they mark hazards..... Unless you are creeping up on them with your trolling motor to pitch senkos on top of the rock pile.  I'll be on Trout Lake June 7-10 so if you want to text me when you get up to Vermilion I can give you a report on how it went for us.   Lots of resorts on Vermilion rent 25 HP fishing boats.     matt 612-868-1282
    • JBMasterAngler
      Boat traffic isn't all that bad, there's a million places to escape it on that lake anyway. Bugs are usually pretty bad that time of year, and we've had a pretty wet spring so far also. But they're not an issue out on the water. You can launch at a different access each day, and it'll be like being on a completely different lake.
    • JeremyCampbell
      Thats a great view
    • Wanderer
      This time of year inside weedlines with sand have been good historically.  Find some cabbage and you should be golden.   Those walleyes could show up here and there on cranks in that 10 foot range too.
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      I do not fish bass very often but have had good luck using straight braided line for bass and walleye. Very few bugs out on the water! Shore bugs usually only out in the late evenings. Very few jet skis and water skiers on most of Vermilion most of the time. Weekend Holidays can see a lot of traffic. Some one else will surely answer your bass bait questions ! Tons of rusty crayfish in the East end that the bass love! Cliff
    • Mr. Basskisser
      Hey guys. My wife and I are coming up June 10th for a week of bass and pike fishing. Staying in Niles Bay area. Had a few more questions, hoping for some insight from some locals/regulars.  I was wondering ab ou how bad the bugs usually are in mid June, mosquitos,  biting flies and no see ums. Hoping when are are out in the boat fishing they will pretty much leave us alone.         I mentioned going to Vermilion on a thread on our local Ohio fishing forum. A few guys commented that it was a very busy lake with lots of jet ski and tubers. I was thinking if I wanted a more remote feel for a day maybe renting a boat and taking the portage to Trout Lake. I know our 40 hp is too big. I was also thinking of trying the river below the dam launching on 8 mile creek. Saw that on an episode of Ultimate Fishing Adventures. I was wondering if that area is limited to 25 hp motors. What would be the pros and cons of each spot?     I know V is tannic stained. We use pretty much braid on all our poles. Do you braid users feel you need a flouro leader when  bass fishing. Here in Ohio our water is rarely clear enough to worry about that.   One last thing what are the go to colors for tubes and senkos for bass?        Thanks for any help info you can give.                    Mr. Basskisser