Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
midex717

Lack of Northerns also....

6 posts in this topic

My son and I have been out to Minnetonka twice in the past month fishing for Northerns, and Muskies. The first trip yielded nothing. We hit the point in North Arm, Smithtown Bay, and the big reef just south of Hardscrabble Point. Nothing....... We watched 2 guys boat a 47" Muskie at the edge of that big reef at around 8pm.

The next trip 2 weeks ago we hit the point on the north side of Maxwell Bay, had a small Northern take a swipe at a white bucktail. We then headed back to the large reef on the West side, then the North side of Hardscrabble pt.,then to Halsteds, and then back to the reef. Again, nothing....

We tossed small various colored spinnerbaits up to large bucktail spinnerbaits, spoons, spinners with white, yellow, purple, red bucktail, and a few crankbaits. We cast in shallow towards shore,then cast parallel to the weedlines, and trolled along the weedlines at 1.5 to 3 mph.

I don't think that we are doing anything wrong, maybe the fish are bored or something.

Any ideas on tactics, areas were Northerns lurk would be greatly appreciated. We are starting to get bummed out at our lack of success.

A big thanks!!!

I was catching some nice pike right on top of the weeds 8ft depths or less in big weed flats a couple of weeks ago. Tonka has turned over so I would expect that pattern to reestablish soon but don't forget to check the weed edge next to sharp drop offs.

Midex,

I see your in Lakeville. There a alot of places to catch pike and skies in the Dakota, Rice county areas which I think is a lot better. Or are you specifically targeting them in Minnetonka?

We will try anywhere that has a good ramp, and fish to catch. Which lakes would you recommend? Do the Northerns prefer live bait over artificial in these lakes, and what time of the day is good?

I guess we go to Minnetonka because it is reasonably close, and I thought we could reliably catch fish there. We plan on going out this Monday afternoon after my son finishes school for the day.

I really appreciate any info, and will gladly share any that I find!

Thanks!!!

I am in the Dakota, Scott county areas, I would love to find some pike, where do you recommend?

I usually have pretty good luck in Prior Lake