Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dfv87

CLearwater...Questions

10 posts in this topic

I recently bought a place on Augusta (Clearwater Chain) and was wondering a few things...

I love to night troll for eyes, is this a good practice on Clearwater?

I have limited experience on Clearwater but know it has some extreme drops and humps to watch my lower unit on, but in general is it fairly easily navigatable?

I have an H2Oc with the Lakemaster chip, how accurate is the chip on clearwater? On mille lacs it is nutz on but on Pokegama it was useless.

I have done a little night trolling for eyes on clearwater with limted results. I imagine you are talking about pulling cranks at night and have only found a few spots that are decent for this.Question is,, What you pulling?deep divers or floarter or what here? The " extreme drops and humps" you mention will cause you to be pulling up the lake bottom if you are useing the wrong bait in the wrong area.. My suggestion ,, pay attention to electronics and learn the lake ,I have no clue if that chip is any good here or not . i learned this lake with my eyes on electronics and rod in hand grin.gif

Post deleted by Augusta

Timberwoods.

I have the chip with 1 ft increments for Clearwater it is very good. I have fished Clearwater and Augusta since mid 70's. Clearwater is not a very good night lake in my opinion. Plus the nature of its steep dropoffs and irregular structure do not bode well for night trolling. Augusta is also a tough lake but we have caught walleyes trolling at night with blue rapalas along the south shore etc. Also Clearwater isn't the best lake to be blasting around in the dark due to all the hazards.

Mwal

can u imagine driving a bass boat at 70 mph in the dark on clearwater....oh boy

Blasting across clearwater at any time is a risky for any newcomer to the lake grin.gif then again 70mph at night on any lake is rather risky wink.gif Night trolling can be done as i said above. you just need to find the right areas that its possible.

With all the steep drops on clearwater does that chip wit th 1"increaments make that much differece any how ? you must have very good boat control to hold that tight in most places on this lake ,, and with all the traffic at times i think that would be really tough to do

mwal, Which chip did you get that has clearwater in 1' increments? The best i have found so far is 3ft increments. I have minnesota lakemaps, and the navionics chips. Both are 3ft. contour lines.

JiginJim,

I must be mistaken on the 1 ft I have the Navionics from a couple years ago I thought it was 1 but maybe its 3ft. Anyhow it is pretty accurate in my opinion. I use it to see ahead as my head is glued to the finder on clearwater to stay in the zone.

MWal

mwal, The chips are pretty sweet for the money. Guys fish lakes for years to find that spot no a spot, only to have it come out in dvd.