Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Luck e 1

Fall on the river

9 posts in this topic

I have fished below Ford dam a few times and like the area. Does Anyone have any fall strategies for walleye fishing in the area? It will be my first time fishing the river in the fall.

Thanks guys.

Was out last week and bite had not yet started. Water temp needs to be in he mid 50's to really get things going. Fish can be caught now though but not like in a few weeks. Jig and minnow or lindy style and minnow would be my 1st choice right now. Early morning or evening seem to be the best. In a couple weeks, the plastic bite will start...ringworms and grub style baits. Purple/chart tail, black/white tail, oystershell are my go to colors in the fall. No bait needed this time of year. You will see lots of sauger here pretty soon as well. 3 ways w/cranks can be deadly this time of year too. Hair jigs in darker colors can be great too. Black, black w/green head. Hope this helps...

Tuna grin.gif

Thanks for the info Cbreeze, I usually head down to Red wing for the good fall bite, but I might stay closer to town this november if I can figure out the bite on upper pool 2.

Yeah thanks for the info.

I would bet the temps will be in the 60's soon but we need colder nights to hit 50's. I would bet the eyes would be in the current and one could float the river and do well. I can't wait to try this.

Went out of hidden falls last night, what a zoo!!! Last night was the most busy i have ever seen it down there, a lot of idoits out for the last cruz of the year.

Anyway, water temp was 60.4. Caught 2 small white bass and a 20" eye right at dusk. Trolling cranks in 7-10'. Didn't try by the dam, but will give it a shot here soon to see for myself what it is all about. Good luck.

WHere is hidden falls?

I am going to get out Friday and will send a full report when we get done.

Hidden falls is the boat launch/park just down stream from the ford dam. Good luck.

Was on the river all day today,(10/5)...water temp still too warm,about 62deg after all this dang sun...caught lots of fish,4lb wally 2blks north from miss,minn rivers,several other smaller ones by the dam trolling crankbaits,2 5lb pike also...the bigger wally came on lindy rig

Glad to hear you caught some fish, and thanks for the report! I was thinking about trying it down there as it seems like upper pool 2 is a good place to get out of the wind that we're going to have all weekend.