Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mooner

This weekend

8 posts in this topic

Hey folks - I'm new to the fall walleye dance on LOW. Bringing the wife up tonight for the weekend - will lauch at Wheelers Pt. PA. Would appreciate any suggestions on present patterns. The weather looks promising and I can't wait to get on the road.

Well, where do you start?? Well, right across from wheelers pt., theres a break right out from the cattails, you can't miss it, from there down to the "wind sock" seems to be the spot to start this time of year. Another would be 4-mile bay, from around the point w/ the light, out to the grass island area, this is the river channel area, and any where in here, fish will be migrating thru. And, last but not least, out in or just outside Lighthouse Gap, or over by morris point gap. I'd probably start in 24 ft. of water, and move deeper to start out in front of Lighthouse Gap, and 15-17 ft over by Morris Pt. gap. As far as jigs, colors, in the lake a gold jig, a orange/chartruese/pink bubble gum jig in 3/8, or 1/2 oz. has worked well for me, and in the river, depending on the current, 1/2oz, up 3/4oz isn't out of the question, you'll want to keep the jig as verticle as possible, and close to the bottom, as far as colors in the river, to be honest, I really don't believe it matters, as long as you keep it verticle and 2-4 inches off bottom. I've always hear gold, or orange, or some other color, but after years of this, I've only found that in the river, technique puts more fish in the livewell, then color!!! Let me know how you do, I'll be going up next Thurs.-Mon. Good Luck, The BUMBLE

I got a report from my friend yesterday and he claimed they had a launch out on the lake that caught well over 150 walleye...they actully ran out of minnows and could not fish anymore. It was a little cool too, a high of 50 degrees and some light rain in the morning but when the fish bite like that you dont pay much attention to the weather. Good luck! grin.gif

Quote:

I got a report from my friend yesterday and he claimed they had a launch out on the lake that caught well over 150 walleye...they actully ran out of minnows and could not fish anymore. It was a little cool too, a high of 50 degrees and some light rain in the morning but when the fish bite like that you dont pay much attention to the weather. Good luck!
grin.gif

Wow. that makes me excited for our weekend trip(oct 20,21,and 22). keep me posted on the baitshop situation. I have heard rumors that the baitstores run out of shiners

Well here's the deal - windy Sat. AM, found shelter in the river, wife tied into something big (thinking sturgeon) for a bit, end up with a lampry.... ick!!!! Wind died PM - caught a few for supper pulling plugs in 17 - 20 feet by Morris point. Sunday was a wild SE wind - anchored outside Gap in 15 - 17 feet, 3/8 oz jig, wife outfished me again.. first, biggest (solid 19"), most.... guess I take her along because I like to eat fish!!!!!! Shiners definitely in the river. Was a fun weekend. Thanks for the help.

how many walleye total? any saugars?

Total catch - 6 walleye, 3 sauger, 1 dinky northern, 1 upset lampry. Still lots of fun.

Was up there for 6 days last week.Shiners in the river,bite was spotty day by day but we never lacked fish for dinner and all 5 of our crew brought home walleye and northern limits.One day by the cattails at the mouth of the river we caught 6 in the slot range with the biggest being 24".Another day the Gap was hot with 8 18" fish in the cooler and tossing 22" fish back.Went out into 25-30 ft water NW of the Gap and never did find sauger.The Church and the windsock didnt produce a keeper all week.26th year going up to LOW and it's always fantastic.