• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Did Craftsman got worse ?

Valv

Question

Yes, the Sears tool brand.

I am not starting a debate about Snap-On, Mac Tools, etc. I am just talking Sears/Craftsman.

They used to be good quality tools, now they are getting cheaper and cheaper as quality, latest sale to K-Mart shows a set of screwdrivers for $ 9.95....it used to be it was for 1 of them.

What happened and what do you think ?

13 answers to this question

I use to have some Craftsman powertools and over the years have thrown them all away as they really are junk (drills, router, jig saw, circular saw, etc). The hand tools never were on par with Mac, SnapOn, etc. but serviceable. I noticed a bit of a change, for the worse, about 15 years ago but since then they've been pretty much the same. I haven't noticed a drop recently.

yes craftsman still has a lifetime warranty on all their handtools. Kmart recently bought out Sears, which is why you are now seeing craftsman at kmart.

I do some woodworking stuff and I can tell you that all the comments I hear out there in Tool Land are that Craftsman tools are pure junk. What a shame! If you've been around a while you will recall when they were pretty darned good stuff. Not now. Don't waste your money. And DON'T waste money on any of their power tools either, unless you buy one of the old tools at a garage sale. Sad, sad...sad.

When you buy a 105 piece ratchet set, the hard box is counted as one of the "pieces", right? RIGHT!

Craftsman has a "Life-time" guarantee, right? RIGHT!

So when the latches break on that box, they'll replace it, right? Whoops, haaaang on there pardner.

I fought tooth and nail with these jokers. They flat out refused. Even though, by it's own piece count, the hard shell plastic case is one of the pieces of the hand tool.

The Bottom line was; "you guys are really prepared to loose a very good customer over a ten dollar plastic box? I just want to get this straight so I know what the level of customer service here is."

And the guys answer was; "Yeah, that's the level of our customer service, and we were recently bought out by K-mart, so look for our level of customer service to actually decrease."

I'm not sticking around to find out how low it gets.....

Valv..

I think the craftsman hand tools are junk compared to what they used to be. They seem to fail more than ever(sockets, ratchets), and I havent got any more or less abusive on the tools.

I switched over to Husky tools and I am very happy with them. They are much less expensive than snap on, etc.. but still fit nicely, dont strip things out, dont tweak, and rarely do they fail even when doing a job they shouldnt be (6' pipe on end of ratchet, etc). Lifetime warranty.

Craftsman power tools.. I dont think they ever were very good. They were just an average tool with the *craftman* name.. not an industrial grade tool. I have sent too many to the trash can.

I think there may be a "good, better, best" scenario here. Craftsman is available to first rate industrial distributors and I belive those hand tools to be the same high quality product line, and they carry a lifetime warranty. However, I have not bought a Craftsman tool for some time so I am going to be on the lookout. It's little things that you can't see that will get you, like bearings in a motor replaced with a bushing, or cheapening up the grade of tool steel in the screwdriver. Once they start mass marketing the line in K-Mart, my radar detector begins to come on.

I thought sears bought K-mart. How could K-mart Afford to purchase sears when they where in such a financial pickle?

I have been using there sockets for over 10 years and I've never had a problem with them. Everyonce and a while I'll break one but not very often. I'm not a big fan of anything else they offer.

Don't like there ratchets, don't like there screwdrivers, don't like there specialty tools. Although these things would not cut it at work, they are fine at home in a pinch.

If it looks cheap it probably is!! Some examples - The Yugo, anything Northern sells, and those pens the sales reps give out when they visit your business! grin.gif

I just retired a craftsmen cordless screwdriver. Its pretty old and the batteries finally gave up. I could have purchased new batteries but opted for a new six piece cordless set. I'm wondering if I made the right decision?

Craftmen tools are fine for you average joe that uses tools once in a while. They are pretty much the standard for the average joe that cant see a snap-on/matco rep. I see no problem with there hand tools for the average joe. But for someone using them daily, and exstensively, they will wear out faster and break more compared to the other brand tools, but are much cheaper and can easily be replaced by running to sears.

As for there power tools, that a different story, they are all just junk, i wouldnt waste my money with anything with the craftsmen name on it, I stick with makita, they are industrial strenght that dont go bad.

I used to be a Diesel Mechanic years ago working for a John Deere Dealer in SD and started out using Craftsman tools. When you are out in the field working on a Farmer's tractor that is broke down you just can't rely on the cheaper brand tools. Even if there is a Lifetime Warranty on them you can't just jump back in the truck and run all the way in to town to replace it. I replaced all my Craftsman with Snap-On after experiencing this. Never had a SnapOn break in the field. Just thought I would throw my opinion in. Now that I am not working as a mechanic anymore I still work on my cars, snowmobile, boat and lawn equipment but if I needed a tool I will go to Sears just because it is more convenient and if it breaks I can get it replaced when I get into town next. smirk.gif

Quote:

yes craftsman still has a lifetime warranty on all their handtools. Kmart recently bought out Sears, which is why you are now seeing craftsman at kmart.

Wasn't K-Mart in trouble just a few years ago and close a bunch of stores as a result? And now they buy Sears? Guess my knowledge of financial credibility is old school now -:(

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - With its deal to buy Sears Roebuck & Co., Kmart is not only capping one of the greatest corporate comebacks in history, it is helping to make a legend of Edward Lampert its young, hard-charging chairman.

Kmart Corp., struggling to emerge from bankruptcy less than two years ago, is using the strong gains in its stock over the last 18 months to buy its larger and more established rival.