• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Prairie lake near cromwell

• 2 months later...

This is a pretty good crappie lake. Fish off the Islands or in 20-25 foot deep areas where theres dropoffs or saddles near by in the middle winter with minnows. Run tip ups in on the breaks 5-15 feet for some rather large pike too.

---Zdaddy

About 9" of clear thick ice last Friday night. I popped holes until my arms hurt and never marked a fish let alone hooked one.

I dont live near the lake anymore.. but used to have good success on crappies on the north side of the main lake near the village in about 30'. The crappies dont average as big there during the winter.. the walleyes are generally small that come up the ice hole.

I can get some good crappies during the summer, and nice walleyes... the winter is a whole different world out there. I know guys usually do ok on the eyes by the island in the winter. Morning and afternoon is usually best with a few stragglers in the evening hours. I never did good late night. I know people get some huge sunfish out there.. but I have no idea where.

I dont know how much ice is out there.

thanks for the info... I have had good luck fishing crappies by the inlet in the summer and had trouble finding them anywhere else any suggestions? I have been fishing this lake in the winter for a few years now and seems like the best spots are off the islands in the hole. No night bite at all I think the water is just to stained from the iron. did you hear about those big sunnies recently?

There is definitely no nite bite in the winter....trust me, after driving up late on a Friday I've tried to make it work about 10 times without any luck.

i have been fishing this lake for quite a while now including this winter i was the first person on this lake this year the crappies are hitting quite well on the north side of the main lake caught a 38 in northern out there last weekend in the bay by the landing. if you go out there u cant go by wheeler from the landing because of the open water where the pressure ridge is you would have to jump that and it is about a foot across there is a solid 9 inches of ice or better all over the lake

dtheis

ole crappie

welcome to FM. we need more posters in the aitkin-mcgregor thread.

I tryed prarie in the summer, not too much luck. I would like to get over this winter to try for sure. also would like to try eagle lake. caught many small northerns there over the summer.

i have never had much luck on eagle lake i have fished it many times never got anything i hear there is walleys there but i never caught one i am heading to big sandy for crappies in the morning hopefully that will pay off

knoppers.. seeming there isnt many people who fish prarie lake in the summer.. I dont think anyone is going to blast me for giving you some info.

If your looking for walleyes, you can usually pop quite a few, along with some really nice crappies in the summer months directly across from the access in the bay. If you look strait out towards the point of cattails.. fish from the point to about 3/4 of the way down that shoreline to near the point before the main lake. Pulling small cranks in about 11' of water works ok, nightcrawler harnesses work better, and a fathead on a bottom rig usually produces when the crawlers wont. I used to go out there almost daily and I would drag around a bottom rig with a fathead until I found the crappies, and switch over to a bobber rig from there. The south tiny island also has some really good structure around it on the main lake and regularly produces some eyes. Its very rocky.. pulling cranks and tossing bobbers are best on the main lake.

Ole Crappie,

Whats your last name? I used to live in Cromwell but now I am a bit south.

Haven't heard much from Prairie yet this year. Decent crappie bite out there last year but I think most of the eater sized crappies got taken out. We only caught smaller fish late in the year last year.

Granny

granny,

my last name is olson i am from mahtowa but i moved to cromwell over a couple years ago i am getting married to a girl from cromwell she is also a olson but not related of course her parents are terry and peggy olson i live nort of town on prairie lake road i am going out to prairie in the morning for crappies i went to big sandy and minnewowow or how ever you spell it today fished from daylight till dark no luck though i wish i could find some walleyes some where i am a rookie at fishing them i would like to find a lake and a partner to teach me how to catch them through the ice but yeah so how far south you live well have a good one talk to you later

ryan

I live down by Sturgeon Lake now. There are a few decent lakes in the area for eyes. If you want I can email you a few spots to try.

Granny

Yo Granny been out fishin at all? Hey by the way, do we have ball this year. The BuckSlayer cool.gif

Haven't touched the round ball yet this year and I haven't heard anything as of yet. Heading up to LOTW with the old man and Skeeter this weekend.

Ole, I will send ya some info.

Granny

Hey Granny, read that you, skeeter, n your dad are headin north. Im headin up with some guys the weekend after, headin out through pine island. Be kind of intrested in a mini report if ya get the chance.

Huge to me on a sunny is 10"+. I am not saying they are all that size in there, but they are in there. I have no idea where to start looking for them out there, but I have seen them come from the lake more than once. I have no idea what the sunfish population is like there. I didnt target them, and I never got into them. I have only observed what others have caught.

Yeah thats definitely a nice bluegill if its over 10" but they are still quite commen to see, I'd like to see more over 11 and closer to a foot! Now thats huge and getting close to 2 lbs!

That Guy,

Does it seem best to fish that area you were talking about in the morning or at night? Also have you ever heard of people catching crappies by those reeds in the middle of the bay where the river goes out? thanks for the info.

hey there the crappies are usually bigger over by the river but i have been hammering them in main lake near the big lake its about thirty eight feet of water there i have been doing real well this year they are smaller then last year about 10 11 inches about so good spots

yeah in the winter they are in the deep hole on prairie just like everywhere else you catch them by the little island in the winter as well over by the river and they are usually bigger

yea it seemed like whenver i have fished on there the best bite was from 12-4 is that the time frame you get them too? and how much snow is up there?

yeah 12 to 4 is best time for fishing the crappies the are alot bigger close to the big island too every one else is fishing over by the north east shore line try in 38 feet of watter closer to the big island i caught my limit the other night in an hour they were all 13 inch or better and ya there is some snow up here i take my sled out there cause thats all i have

• 2 weeks later...